Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baby girl - 6 months old - expirimenting solids - wet diapers - checking supply

Question Baby girl - 6 months old - expirimenting solids - wet diapers - checking supply

Hello,

I have a 6 months old daughter, and I have breastfed her. Currently I am not sure if I am having enough supply. How do I check the diaper wetness? And, how much water you can give to her?

It's hard to concentrate on the swalling...but I am starting to pay attention.

Ok, so basically, how again, I check if she is having enough liquids at 6 months.

Thanks,

Ana

Default Re: Baby girl - 6 months old - expirimenting solids - wet diapers - checking supply

She should be having 4-6 disposable diapers per day. An easy way to count is to layout the diapers at the beginning of the day and then 24 hours later they should be gone.
    For a disposable diaper to check the wetness take 2-4 oz of water and pour that into a diaper. The urine should be pale and mild smelling. As she holds her bladder longer, the amount of urine will increase.

At 6 months, if you are nursing still, water is not necessary. You could do a small amount mixed in with food, or a very small amount (less than 1/2 oz) to try in a sippy cup. Water has no nutritional value and may make her want to nurse less.

How has her weight gain been? Does she seem happy and healthy to you?
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

Red face Re: Baby girl - 6 months old - expirimenting solids - wet diapers - checking supply

Hello Jessica,

Thanks for the tips.

I feel that her development is going well. Slightly slow on the moving parts. For example, she is 6 months and she is not an independent sitter. And, she doesn't crawl. But, she is trying to crawl, and stand up with support. She loves to stay up with my help.

Her lower teeth is out. And, she loves to stay on the floor.

I am very concerned if she is having enough food to support her development. I give her the solids...she eats just some.. a little...her father gives more food than me... She basically loves to play with the spoon. She does like apple sauce.

About the diapers, I haven't done yet your tip...but her diapers are not highly wet.

I will do your tip, thank you...

Please keep me posted of any more information.

My husband says I will become crazy of so much worring :-)

Ana

Default Re: Baby girl - 6 months old - expirimenting solids - wet diapers - checking supply

mama

Are you concerned with her getting enough breastmilk from you or worried about her solids intake? Both?

If your worried about your supply, or the amount of milk she's getting, then diapers will tell you a lot. What goes in must come out. Also weight gain (a steady gain, not how much she weighs) will help to reassure you. It sound like she's doing well, babies progress on their own schedule

Solids are just for experimenting now, not necessary for her development. She still gets everything she needs from your milk. You milk has way more fat and calories than most solid foods. Here's a (non LLL resource) chart with some info on what foods are dense in good stuff for your baby.
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Exclamation Re: Baby girl - 6 months old - expirimenting solids - wet diapers - checking supply

Hello,

I've read for the 3rd time again, at the pediatrics book that I should have given vitamin D suplementation since second month. specially because we are in a cold state and she was born in the January winter of USA cold states.

Unless I gave to her some formula since then...

I always forget these things, since we dont' go to a pediatrics.

Ana

Here's a good article on vitamins
    http://www.llli.org/FAQ/vitamin.html

Even if you live in a cold state, a little exposer to the sun everyday will be enough to prevent a Vitamin D deficiency!
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Thumbs up Re: Baby girl - 6 months old - expirimenting solids - wet diapers - checking supply

Hello Jessica,

Thank you again. I will give my daughter more sun light during the non risky early hours (before 9am).

I will also read the link on Vitamin D / supplements you've attached. I've started and found many more good information that deserves more attentive reading.

The doctor's nurse called and said that my daughter doesn't need Vitamin D supplementation.

It's funny that the doctor himself gave me a paper at my first baby well visit, and there says 6 months (Iron/Vit. D recommendation)...and the Your Baby's First Year - Second Edition from the American Academy of Pediatrics book says that human milk does not contain sufficient vitamin D to prevent a deficiency...and because children should wear sunscreen they recommend that breastfed baby to provide supplemental v vitamin D, beginning within the first two months of life.

It is true that very few people know about breastfeeding. That is why I am coming to this website.

I am starting to feel that few people know about things

I am still checking her diaper wetness...again, I should have separated them as you said...I will do that for tomorrow.

And, I've noticed so far my daughter's diaper is wetness fluctuates from 1 oz to 2 oz.

Thank you,

Ana

I'm glad you found us!! It is true that a lot of people are not well informed when it comes to lactation. Even doctors don't get hardly anytime in medical school in the standard program, if at all.
    An International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) is a professional in the field of lactation, and are a great source of info.
    LLL really feels like you are the expert on your baby, and that with the right information you'll be able to make decisions that work well for your family! That sounds like what your doing!!
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Smile Re: Baby girl - 6 months old - expirimenting solids - wet diapers - checking supply

I am checking my daughter's wet diaper.

In the past 12 hours, she has had 4 wet diapers. They appear to be 2 oz in liquid quantity. Tomorrow, I will weigh the diaper dry to find out the weight. I guess is ok. It's not 4 oz diaper looking like. And, it is summer.

I've also noticed that she has many more swallows on the 3am feeding, right breast. The left breast doesn't work anymore. It gives less than 1/2 oz of milk. And, it hurts like when beginning to breastfeed when I pump.

Do you think this pattern is wet diaper is ok on summer month for a 6 mo. old girl with 19 pounds and 28 inches?

I guess you've arrived helped me when you said 4 diapers 2-4 oz....

Thank you,

Ana

That does sound like a good amount of wet diapers, she should have the 4-6 in a 24 hour period. So 4 in 12 hours is good, even if it's not 2-4oz each.
    Is it pale and mild smelling?

Keep trying with the left breast! Mothers are able to nurse their babies on just one breast if need be, so if it comes to that, it's ok. Eating oatmeal, drinking plenty of water will help.
    Jessica
    LLL Leader