currently, my lo is 2mo and i have been doing ebm / nursing for last 2mo. i was off to a good start with breastfeeding but then at about 3 weeks old he got admitted. i have to admit that i didn't express very regularly at night and wpu;d get enogorged then. i was unexperienced and did'nt realise how much it would affect my milk supply. i was producing enough for him.
My lo is a snack and snooze sort of baby which really tired me out so i went through a period of exlusive pumping as that way I could get some rest and some things done.
Then 2 weeks later, he got admitted again. So I was struggling with trying to pump regularly and getting enough rest. I still produce enough for him. but only just enough. I don't even have any stock.
currently, he stays at my parents place at night so my hubby and i get some rest. i nurse him in the day time and try to squeeze as many pumping sessions as I can during the day (which depending on the help I get and how cranky he is, can be 2 to after every feed). I tried pumping first then latching him on to completely drain the breast but it got a bit stressful coz I had to pump just in time for his feed and I worried he didn't have enough and he is very impatient if he doesnt get immediate let down. Then I tried latching on then pumping. It is fine but he tends to get more impatient towards the end of the day and I have to feed him the EBM from the bottle so that we don't have a constant battle at the breast in the evenings.
Problem now is that I am going back to work and I work crazy hours and can't be pumping at the rate I am. I started on domperidone and am on fenugreek. I stopped the fenugreek for 1 day after I started domperidone and found that my milk supply kind of dropped. I have 1 more week to try and get some stores up and get my milk supply up. LO feeds about 3 hourly and takes 4 oz each time - which means I need 32oz a day.
I use Avent Isis Uno and have a Medela Mini Electric (which I don't really like and rarely use) and am thinking of getting the AVent Isis IQ Duo.
My questions are:
1. Each time, I seem to need 1hour to get my breasts emptied. Is that normal? It means that I spend 8 hours a day pumping. It just seems like madness.
2. How do I build a store when he seems to either take forever to nurse (and each session merges with the next and I can't put him down) or glug down everything I pump? I have tried simultaneous pumping but when he is in a grouchy mood and squirmy, it is almost impossible.
3. Am I tryng too hard and it is affecting my milk supply?
4. By taking the domperidone, does it increase my baseline milk supply or it only increases it transiently?
5. Am I too late to try to increase my milk supply now?