Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: A question about using hospital grade pump at work....

Default A question about using hospital grade pump at work....

Another question from pesky me.

At work we have a hospital grade medela pump to use. I have the pump in style at home. I'm assuming I can just bring in my pumping parts (bottles/tubes etc) and use them with the hospital grade medela pump (I have no idea which one it is)? I am going to bring my PIS to work the first day just in case I can't figure out the hospital grade one.

Anyone come across this situation? Did the PIS parts "fit" for the hospital grade medela? Thanks in advance!

Default Re: A question about using hospital grade pump at work....

I used a hospital grade pump (Medela Symphony) early on and it needs some extra bits to connect the tubing to the pump compared to my PISA. I don't know if it's just the Symphony that's like that or if the older Medela hospital grade pumps are the same. Where I work you can buy a set of parts to use with the pumps from the lactation consultants, but I think you'd be able to get them from anywhere that rents pumps too.

Does the hospital grade medela (most likely the bright blue lactina) have the piston on it (the big yellow plastic thing)?

If so, everything will work, just bring your tubing and it will fit right into the piston.

If it is a Lactina Select, it will have a knob that has variable speed and variable suction on the piston. I start off at speed 7 with least amount of suction (which mimics baby's initial sucking) and then after milk starts to flow lower the speed to around 4 and raise suction on the piston to your comfort level.

Hope that helps!
    Last edited by @llli*nolies.mama; July 29th, 2008 at 10:41 AM.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Hmmm.....I know it's a blue pump (I peeked in the lactation room)...and that it's a medela. I hope everything fits. I know we don't sell any pump parts at work but hopefully if I need something I can find them somewhere.

Thanks for your responses ladies!

My Pump In Style parts work with my rented Medela Symphony, including the tubing.
    Fran
    Mom to Anna, March 28, 2008

PS: How wonderful that your place of work has a lactation room and provides a pump. That is just beyond words.
    Fran
    Mom to Anna, March 28, 2008

I have a back to work meeting with the lactation consultant at work tomorrow (I'm so grateful to work somewhere that is so positive about breastfeeding) and I know we have Lactinas in our lactation rooms so I'll ask her about it and report back. From looking online I think the piston might be one of the parts that is personal to you, but I did find them for around $10.

It is great that they have a room huh? From what I could tell, it has two "stalls" with curtains, and each stall has its own pump. Plus there is a small sink and a small refridgerator right in there. The room is very small (probably about the size of a closet). But, it's there, and that's the important thing.

The lactation consultant said for a Lactina you need your own piston, cylinder (goes round the outside of the piston), adaptor to attach the piston/cylinder to the tubing and tubing (it needs adaptors on both ends). You can get a kit from a store, which contains bottles, horns , etc or you should be able to get the parts you need from a lactation consultant listed on the medela website.