Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: straight into the freezer?

Default straight into the freezer?

just a quick question- can i put my milk directly into the freezer after pumping or does it need to be cooled in the fridge first?

Default Re: straight into the freezer?

What an easy question to answer! It should be cooled in the fridge first.

Here's a link on milk storage guidelines in case you have other questions about how long it can be stored.
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/milkstorage.html
    Tanya, LLL Leader and Mama to three wonderful kids

Oops! I was told that if I wasn't planning on using the milk within the next few days to put it straight into the freezer...which I've done for the last 3-4 bottles of milk. Does that mean those bottles are bad? Should I throw them out??

I wouldn't automatically throw them out. I don't think that it would make it bad. Milk that is bad will smell sour and taste bad, just like cow's milk. I tried to find the reason why it should be cooled, but haven't found it yet. Every resource has just said that it should be cooled first. I believe that it is to protect the milk from breaking down too much going from one extreme (98.6 degrees) to another (0 degrees) so quickly. I'm one of those people who likes to know why, so I'll see if I can find a resource and post it.

i guess i've been doing it wrong for a year!! when my baby was born he was in the NICU for two weeks. i had to pump cuz he had to be fed thru a NG tube. when my milk came in, i had too much, so they told me to put it straight into the freezer where they had a plastic bin for his supply. i've always had an extra supply and i always put it into the freezer. i guess i assumed that that was the right way all this time since the nurses told me to do that. big OOOPS... i wish i would've known.. but it didn't seem to do any harm. my son is now 13 months and still BFing. i pump at work, but now i know to cool it first.

so should i get rid of milk that went from the pump to the freezer without cooling?

I wouldn't think you need to toss the milk. Give it a good sniff; make sure it doesn't smell "wrong" in any way -- you'll know if it does. And then from now on, with whatever you pump, chill first if you can.
    -linda

I researched a bit further, and it appears I left out a small detail regarding freezing milk. The Breastfeeding Answer Book says you have to chill freshly pumped milk before freezing it UNLESS you are going to add the milk to a batch of previously frozen milk. This is so the fresh milk does not thaw the previously frozen milk before it freezes.

Sorry for any confusion. I seem to have had some sort of pregnancy-induced brain fog all nine months that I will be happy to let go of when this baby arrives. Some of the sources on the internet do say to chill first, but The Breastfeeding Answer Book is published by LLLI and will have the most up-to-date research and info included. Hope this clears it up, and I'm sorry for worrying you mama's!
    Last edited by LLLTanya; August 8th, 2006 at 03:38 PM.

[QUOTE=LLLTanya]I researched a bit further, and it appears I left out a small detail regarding freezing milk. The Breastfeeding Answer Book says you have to chill freshly pumped milk before freezing it UNLESS you are going to add the milk to a batch of previously frozen milk. This is so the fresh milk does not thaw the previously frozen milk before it freezes. [QUOTE]

your statement is kinda confusing. is that supposed to be UNLESS or ONLY IF??

so i'm ok with putting it right into the freezer?

You are okay putting it right into the freezer as long as you are not dumping freshly pumped milk into a container with previously frozen milk and then freezing it.

Does this make sense?

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes