Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wasting storage bags

Default Wasting storage bags

I work full time outside the home, therefore I am pumping ALL day (so it seems). I have been keeping up with my DD's demand for milk on a day by day basis (I do not have any milk stored up in the freezer). I feel like I am wasting SO many storage bags. I try to do my best to help the environment and tossing the plastic bags everyday does not seem right. Can milk storage bags be recycled? We live in Washington state and they are trying to pass a law to start charging for using plastic bags at the grocery stores!

I am curious if there is a better way to store EBM throughout the day, so I would not be using and tossing 4-5 plastic bags a day. Is there something out there that I can reuse? Any other suggestions?

Default Re: Wasting storage bags

you can pump directly into bottles, that get's expensive too though, i use the Avent Via disposables, they say you can reuse 3 times, however i keep about 30 containers in constant rotation between my daily pumping and the freezer stash...i've been using them about 6 months now and i've only tossed a few that looked like they were 'ready' to go... HTH
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

I have a huge stash of pumping bottles that a friend gave me (seriously - like 45 of them), so I only use the bags when I need to put some in the freezer. At home, I have a plastic container with a screw on lid with a spout that I put the EBM in so that I just use the same two bottles washing them out between pumpings. I also get a kick out of seeing the container full to the brim with 32+ ounces. It makes me feel really proud of my hard work and gives me a boost to keep going the next day.
    Fran
    Mom to Anna, March 28, 2008

Unless I was pumping to freeze milk, I pumped into bottles and we left it there. My freezer stash never amounted to much , so we pretty much used the same few bottles to pump into, and then used Playtex liners when he had a bottle (those worked best for us, though they don't get around the plastic issue).

I have a PIS and pump straight into the Medela bottles, bring them home and DS drinks from them the next day. I probably have about 12 of them that I cycle through. I only use the bags to freeze.

I know someone who works in the hospital nursery. She saved about 50 of the little 2oz cylinder Similac Formula bottles that they feed the newborns from and they fit perfectly on the Medela PIS pump. Medela sells the same bottles for like 12$ for 10 of them!! I pump directly into those little bottles and freeze them or place them in the fridge for feeding the following day. I use the Medela microwave sterilizing bags and i can fit all the caps in one bag along with about 7 bottles. The only bad part about these bottles is that its not as quick to warm up the milk as with the bags. I heat up a 4 c. measuring cup in microwave then place the frozen bottle in the cup if its frozen. Otherwise I just put the refrigerated bottle in a glass under hot running water from the tap.

I'd only use the plastic bags if I had an over supply and were building up stock since they're so expensive.
    Mom to Savannah (2yrs old--BF till 12mo)
    MOM to TREY (19 yrs) didn't breastfeed

Due AUG 2010 with 3rd child
    Plan to at work and at home.

I pump directly into the Medela bottles. I only need 7 bottles total...I send 3 to daycare and take 4 to work. I pump 3x's a day and the 4 bottles is enough space (I do have a few storage bags at work just in case I have a great pumping day). When I get home, 3 bottles are ready for daycare and the 4th gets poured into a freezer bag then gets cleaned along with the 3 from that day's daycare bag.
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

Thank you all for the ideas. It sounds like I will be off to the store to get some extra Medela bottles

I store in the bottles I get from the HMBNA (I donate any extra milk I have). I use them to freeze for them and rotate them for my personal storage.
    • First time mommy to Alyssa Nicole 7 lbs. 19 3/4 in. born 10/17/07 via c-section.

finally off the since 10/24/08

We made it, 12 months!!!!!!!!

Donated 500 oz. so far, and counting...

2 weeks - 7 lbs 6 oz.
    2 months - 10 lbs.
    4 months - 12 lbs. 3 oz.
    6 months - 14 lbs. 1 oz.
    9 months - 16 lbs. 7 oz.
    12 months - 18 lbs. 10 oz.

I bought a bunch of the Medela storage bottles and only used bags for EBM going into the freezer.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)