Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sore Nipple

Default Sore Nipple

I noticed a couple of weeks ago that one of my nipples was really sore. I figured it was due to me starting my period but it's back again and it really hurts. I've nursed my daughter for 11 months with no problem but suddenly I have funny lumps all around my nipple and it hurts when she latches on. Any idea what it could be?
    ~*~LaDonna~*~

Wife to David 08.10.03
    Mommy to Elijah 12.4.05, born 3 weeks early and who self-weaned at 16 months
    Milk Bar to Liliana 08.10.07

♥Making the decision to have a child - it's momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking outside your body. ~Elizabeth Stone~♥

I'm a mama and proud of it!

Default Re: Sore Nipple

Are you mid-cycle now? Mine bothered me a lot right when I ovulated and sometimes it lasted until my period started. The hormones could also be changing the way your breast tissue feels.
    DS 1/2006 9 lb. 2 oz. 22 in.
    DD 10/2008 8 lb, 2 oz. 20 in.

Sounds like a milk bleb/blister to me.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I'm not sure where I am in my cycle. I just had my period last week. I don't think it has anything to do with that though b.c. this is the first time I've had a problem with it in the 11 months that I've been nursing.

It doesn't sound like a milk blister either b.c. it's not right on the nipple. The lumps can be seen and felt underneath my areola. It is also affecting how far my nipple sticks out. It looks as if the whole tip of my breast is swollen.

I wish it would go away b.c. I cringe every time I have to nurse on that side.
    ~*~LaDonna~*~

Wife to David 08.10.03

♥Making the decision to have a child - it's momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking outside your body. ~Elizabeth Stone~♥

When I had a milk bleb (or so DX'd by me ) It was on the areola, not the nipple...

Is there any redness or irritations around the area? How long has your cycles returned?
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

There is nothing unusual looking about my areola except that it's swollen and hurts to the touch.

My period came back about 6 weeks after Liliana was born.

I'll go back and read more about the milk blister. I stopped once I saw that mainly occures on the nipple.
    ~*~LaDonna~*~

Wife to David 08.10.03

I was going to ask about pregnancy but you said you just had your period. Could it be a latching issue? Have you checked your latch positioning?

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ladonna View Post
    It doesn't sound like a milk blister either b.c. it's not right on the nipple. The lumps can be seen and felt underneath my areola. It is also affecting how far my nipple sticks out. It looks as if the whole tip of my breast is swollen.
    Hmm... This description still makes me think milk bleb because every time I had one I also got a plugged duct behind the blister. Sometimes I'd have large plugged duct- like a tennis ball under the skin- and sometimes I'd get a cluster of small ones that felt more like small hard grapes under the skin. But perhaps you're not experiencing a blister, but rather just a bunch of plugged ducts? If either nipple blister + plugged ducts or plugged ducts alone is the problem, a lot of moist heat can't hurt. Warm wet washcloths and/or warm baths are both good. And while I'm sure you're not wanting to use the affected breast at all, you might want to start feedings on that side for a while and see if your baby can draw the plugs out for you. (Babies tend to feed most aggressively at the beginning of a nursing session.) You could also try all-fours nursing: lay your baby on her back and dangle the affected breast into her mouth. Gravity should help draw out plugs, too.

Stay alert for any redness, fever and flu-like symptoms: these can signal the onset of mastitis, in which case you want to get to the doc ASAP.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"