Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Unsure of what to do

Default Unsure of what to do

I've been exclusively bf for the last 4 mos with my lo. But i'm noticing feeding differences on each breast. On the rt she's feeding for about 30 seconds and on the left she's feeding for about 2 min (i'm not worried about how short she feeds, her weight gain is good). How do I increase her feedings on the other side. I know there is less milk in the rt side so i've started nursing her on that side at the beginning of every feeding, because if i offer her the left first she will not take the rt at all. When she will allow me, usually during her night nursing, i'll let her use the rt as a soother as long as i'm can stay awake (she will not use me as a soother when awake, she will bite me in frustration if i try). I think the left has a heavier letdown than the right and she simply doesn't want to work for it. And breast compressions while nursing on the rt seem to do little in encouraging her to stay and work for her hind milk. Any suggestions?

My other question is about spitting up. During her night nursing she will eat a lot and never spit up. However during the day she eats half the amount and spits up a ton! is this normal or should i be talking to the doctor about it?
    born 03/24/11, and and
    born 03/21/08 Breastfed for 2 yrs, and still when needed

Default Re: Unsure of what to do

id say keep doing what you are doing, always offering the right first...i ended up with this issue too because at night he would nurse more from the left because that was the side of me he slept on....you could also try expressing a little on your own from the left and that way she wont get her fill from that side and maybe would be more interested in the right??

so could i get away with only offering the rt through out the night? or would i loose my milk supply in the lt?
    born 03/24/11, and and

yes i think so....but i dont know for sure! i think at four months your supply should be pretty established...my left was always bigger because he would nurse more that side at night so i tried to favor the right during the day....even though the left was his favorite..

Do you leave your lo attatched all night?
    born 03/24/11, and and

back then, some nights whenever he cut teeth he nursed alot more....we have gone through periods where definately he would pretty much nurse all night long....

At some point in DS' earlier days tehre was a point when he refused to nurse both sides at night (which can be typical). I always took my cues from him and them my body took cues from the nursing sessions. If you offer sides equally, your supply will adjust accordingly
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

so there is no real way to encourage her to nurse better during the day?? is this a phase? is it likely to change the older she gets?My LC is telling me i need to discourage her from night nursing to try and force her into nursing correctly during the day. But i don't feel that's right. I've tried doing an all day nursing session. She mearly starts biting me when she gets frustrated. Does increase skin to skin contact encourage more nursing?? I wear her all day is this not similar?? Should i be topless when i wear her would that help do you think?
    born 03/24/11, and and

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*hummingbird View Post
    so there is no real way to encourage her to nurse better during the day?? is this a phase? is it likely to change the older she gets?My LC is telling me i need to discourage her from night nursing to try and force her into nursing correctly during the day. But i don't feel that's right. I've tried doing an all day nursing session. She mearly starts biting me when she gets frustrated. Does increase skin to skin contact encourage more nursing?? I wear her all day is this not similar?? Should i be topless when i wear her would that help do you think?
    i think you saying that you dont feel its right says it all......do what does feel right...does too much night nursing bother you? if you are fine with it then id say just go with it....there are sooo many phases....i always found that once i got worked up and worried about something it would resolve itself and turn into another phase! i dont think you need to be topless while wearing her...i would offer to nurse in the sling and she would get used to the idea of it being available....maybe this is why she is spitting up more during the day though? try keeping her still for about a half hour after eating... you said her weight gain is good, so it doesnt sound like she isnt nursing enough during the day right? i think 4 months was about the point when i was able to doze off while nursing....if you can get into a comfortable position, maybe on your side or something maybe you can get some sleep while she comfort nurses on the right side while increasing supply on that side at the same time....

You asked about spitting up in your first post. As long as your baby is gaining well, the spitting up isn't a problem. Or at least not a problem to talk to the doctor about; it may be a laundry problem. My daughter spit up until she was a year old. Can't remember whether she spit up at night or not, but she sure did in the day time!