Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: taking away the bottle completely

Default taking away the bottle completely

i have been having to follow up nursing with bottles because my baby hasnt been very good at nursing. he wont latch on for long usually.. and he's still hungry and refusing to latch on.

however lately he's been getting better and better at it, so this past feeding i decided to not even warm up a bottle of BM. he latched on for about 12 min and seemed full. and went to sleep. is it okay that i didnt offer a bottle afterward? how will i know if he got enough? he didnt act hungry after i nursed him, so i let him sleep. if he didnt get enough i figure he'll just sleep for a shorter amount of time than usual.

im just trying to make this transition to completely breast..

Default Re: taking away the bottle completely

How old is baby?
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

he will be 4 weeks old wednesday

So it's not formula suplements just BM?

How's his weight gain been?

This resource talks about how a baby of your babes age shows they're getting enough... (this one goes for after 6 weeks old )

This link talks a bit about weaning baby from a suplemental nursing system but might offer some practical advice you could amend for your situation.

Keep us posted ...
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

He may be really efficient and done in 12 minutes. If he seemed full and didn't cry, then he was probably full and happy. Just keep an eye on wet and poopy diaper counts. If those are ok, then he's done with the bottle!
    Fran
    Mom to Anna, March 28, 2008

thanks for the help..
    this weight gain has been good.. i guess about an oz a day.
    i think he did pretty good, because he was content for 2 hours and had a dirty diaper after 2 hours. he hasnt had formula since the hospital. they had to supplement til my milk came in cuz of his size. he was iugr. and only 3 lbs 10 oz.

now i just have to figure out a pumping schedule if he's going to be doing better at the breast.

My baby was a NICU baby so he learned how to eat from a bottle. It took me about 4 weeks to wean him off the bottle. That was nine months ago and now he won't even take a bottle!!

Anyhow, it sounds like your LO is very efficient...mine was also. He would only eat for 10-15 minutes max...about every two hours. Just keep a close eye on the diapers and the weight gain. It sounds like you might have him weaned! YAY!

ETA~ There is a pumping section of the boards. Good luck!
    Becca SAHM to
    Veronica 10/31/05

and Preston 10/28/07

<--- me!
    (I love this smiley!)

I finally got on Facebook! If anyone wants to be my
    friend.

yay thats so good to hear.. i am so excited, and to think i almost gave up on him...

im glad i didnt, its the most rewarding and amazing thing.

Here's an easy way to tell if your baby is getting enough just nursing at the breast, without any supplements (of anything) after nursing: at 9:00am (or whenever) count out 6 diapers and only use them when you change him. If they are gone by the next morning at 9:00am (or whenever your starting time was), then he's getting enough by nursing. Because what comes out had to have gone in!

Often babies will take a bottle after nursing, just because they want to suck more. It has nothing to to with hunger. And many babies are able to get enough milk straight from mama in 10 minutes or so.

It sounds like you are looking at and listening to your baby. And when you do that, it's hard to go wrong.

yea he definitely goes through that many diapers. he has a dirty and a wet diaper about 2 hours after i feed him, every time...

i didnt know that babies would take a bottle even if they were full, thats good to know.

i dont understand why people dont breastfeed, its a good feeling knowing i am sufficient to feed my son, without any bottles or formula.. its natural and God intended.. also the best thing for him.

thanks for your help!