Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: In desperate need of help!

Default In desperate need of help!

I also posted this on BFAR.org.

I don't even know where to begin...I'm just having major anxiety because I'm not sure that my newborn is getting enough.

Here's what is going on:

I had a breast reduction when I was just 17 in 1994.
    I am tandem nursing...I'm still nursing my 28 month old son and I have a 8 day old newborn baby girl.
    Baby girl was born at 7 lbs 12 oz, and left the hospital at 7 lbs 4 oz. At her appt on Friday (6 days old) she weighed 7 lbs 5 oz. So she had only gained one ounce since she left the hospital on Monday. Could be that she lost more and we didn't know it before she started gaining.
    Doctor wants her back this week for another weight check...I have sooo much anxiety about going to that appt.
    She has not pooped since Monday night. Tomorrow night it will have been a full week. She had three BM's the day she was born and then a huge one Monday night. She has been having tons of wet diapers though...at least 8 per day and most are VERY wet. She toots like crazy and is very stinky...I don't get why she isn't pooping. I know BF babies sometimes go a week without pooping but not usually one week old babies...at least from what I read.
    I felt very full and engorged right when my milk came in but now my breasts aren't sore at all and are soft. I can still express quite a bit though, even after she nurses.
    I never nurse my son first...I always let the baby nurse first and then I will let him and he seems really happy and tells me that the milk is yummy in his tummy. Since he is old enough to tell me...I do know he is getting milk so there is milk still there after the baby nurses.
    Baby girl seems content or falls asleep after every nursing session and has not been fussy at all. That leads me to think she is getting enough...although I have read that sometimes babies who do not get enough may seem like "easy" babies because they are conserving energy because they are not being fed enough. That breaks my heart to think she may not be getting enough.
    I have not pumped at all because when I was nursing my son more often when he was younger, I was never able to pump much and I have figured that he is sort of serving as my pump...I nuse baby girl and then he nurses and shouldn't that be helping my supply?
    I have been eating oatmeal, making sure to consume enough calories, drinking lots of water but have not started any herbs or anything (it has only been a week) and I'm not sure if I should start them now or wait it out to see if I'm just overreacting.
    My son seems so happy with the amount of milk he is getting and that is even after the baby has nursed so it doesn't seem like I have a supply issue...baby girl seems to have a really good latch and a LLL leader checked her latch and said it looks good.
    I have not leaked at all but I never did with my son either. I can express milk very easily and was not able to as easily when I was nursing my son more often when he was younger.
    My son is only nursing maybe 3-4 times per day. Baby girl is nursing at least 12 times per day.
    I do breast compressions during most nursing session with her and can hear her swallowing even more when I do that.
    I had to supplement with my son but after taking herbs, DPD and lots of pumping I was able to get supplementing down to just 1-2 bottles per day.

Can anyone offer any help or reassurance? What should I do? Should I pump after every nursing session that my son does not nurse after? Should I start herbs?

I was honestly hoping that it was true that after BR surgery, that I may have to supplement when nursing my first but wouldn't have to for subsequent babies because the ducts will likley have repaired themselves. Maybe that is too good to be true for me...my eyes are watering as I type this. I have never been so determined about anything in my entire life and I know supplementing isn't the end of the world...and I should feel so proud that with all of the struggles with nursing my son...he still nurses 28 months later...but I just want so badly to exclusively nurse my daughter. I feel like even the LLL leaders I have talked to can't really help me much...I am nursing after BR surgery and tandem nursing...just not very common situation and I am not sure where to get help.

Default Re: In desperate need of help!

welcome to the boards..
    I have to be short its bed time and my hubby is going to flip if I don't get to bed soon.

IT sounds like things are going well

The lack of poops is a little bit worrying but wets sound wonderfull for a baby that age.

Have you thought about renting a scale?
    most places that rent pumps will rent scales for a small fee..
    you might even get your insurace to pay for it, if you ask you never know.

was the baby weighed on the same scale each time?
    they can be up to a lb off.

You are doing great! What determination you have! I applaud your efforts and your success with both children. Here is some information on knowing if your lo is getting enough milk. http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/enough-milk.html It sounds as though she is. With my son (7 months old now) the doctor told me twice to supplement formula b/c of slow weight gain and I said no. Slow weight gain in a BF infant is ok as long as she is developmentally meeting milestones and IS gaining, not losing or staying the same. My son even stayed the same for about a month which was right before and right after a growth spurt. All babies (even those from the same mom) have different growth patterns. From your description of her behavior, it sounds like she is doing great. Remember when going to the pediatrician's office that most of them use a growth chart that is not appropriate for breastfed infants since most of their babies are proabable formula fed (unless you have a really great ped who knows more about BFing than most). Here is info about the average weight gain for a BFed infant. This is what got me through when my ped told me to give formula and I wanted to do what was best for my baby. http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns...ight-gain.html
    My son also did not poop often and is worried me to death. He went 16 days and my LC informed me that she knew someone whose baby went 21 days. It's scary but she's probably ok since she is wetting enough diapers. Hang in there mama. You're doing great!!
    LLL Leader Cabarrus County, North Carolina

mama. deep breath! Thank you for so much info! It sounds like she's nursing often enough for you (10-12 times a day is great) and the wet diapers sound good.
    She should be having about 3-4 bowel movement a day the size of a US quarter or larger, did she have the green transitional stools and did they ever go to the typical yellow/orange stools?
    When she's nursing, does she seem to hang out at the breast a lot without active sucking? You mentioned that she seemed to suck more often when you do breast compressions, that's a great idea and I would encourage you to continue doing that!
    Going to the doctor for a weight check is a good idea, it's only part of the equation though. It does sound like you have enough milk mama, perhaps there is something else going on. I would encourage you to see an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC).

In babies who aren't having enough wet/bowel movements they want to know: weight gain, breastfeeding management (is she nursing often enough, and long enough), is she transferring milk well.
    Sometimes getting someone to weigh her before and after a couple of feedings will give you an idea. It's also important to be in touch with your doctor and/or IBCLC to rule out any medical causes or physical reasons (ie like tongue tie) for her lack of BMs.

I'd definitely give a Leader a call in the morning to tell her about your concerns. She can also give you a rec for an IBCLC if there is one close to you. Perhaps your doctor can get her in a little earlier as well just to check her weight to give you another clue to what she's doing.

Trust your gut on this mama
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

I just wanted to add, your determination to nurse her will get you though this. Even if you had to supplement with pumped milk, it would only be for her benefit and it's nothing to beat yourself up about. We certainly understand the sense of loss you felt supplementing with your son, and mourning over the nursing relationship you so desperately want.

Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

I want to add that I knew a mother (actually a Leader) whose third baby started off just like yours in terms of BMs. Right from birth, the baby never did what we all believed all newborns did--instead of having several BMs each day, she went many days between BMs right from birth. That turned out to be normal for her.

I agree with what the other posters have said. I just also wanted to let you know that at least one other baby was like your daughter.

And keep in mind that the one ounce weight gain was determined using two different scales (the hospital scale and your pediatrician's scale).
    Marianne
    LLL Leader