Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: won't take bottle of ebm

Default won't take bottle of ebm

Hi, I'm going back to work in two weeks, and my 4 month old won't take a bottle. She has previously taken a bottle 3 times, in 3 different situations, 2x from dh, and 1x from me. Now, she'll play with the nipple, try to grab the bottle, maybe take at most 1/2 ounce before turning away, arching her back and crying. We've tried different bottles and nipples, different temperatures and positions. I work 1 hour away from home so I can't get to her grandmother's in a hurry if there are any problems. I would love any advice and ideas!

Default Re: won't take bottle of ebm

Who is offering the bottle? Sometimes babies won't accept a bottle from Mom because they know the real-deal is just a shirt away. What positions have you tried? We found that my son did not like to be in the typical nursing position. He would sit on DH's lap facing outward and drink the bottle that way.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

How long will you be gone?
    WHat hours of the day?

At the age your LO is, you could try a cup as well as spoon feeding, or mom-cicles even- later on. But it all depends on when and how long you'll be gone...
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

I understand what your going through. My 4 mo old refuses the bottle at all costs! I was on a medication last week that required me to wait 4 to 6 hours to BF after taking it. I took it at night thinking this would be the longest time frame between feeds, but it didn't work out so well. My DH tried everything he could and she pretty much freaked out when he offered it. He tried every night, we even resorted to the syringe and cup. I am sad to say that I eventually gave in and nursed her...it was an L3 med that some sites said was ok and some said to wait a few hours after taking. I am so glad that it is over. So even though I don't have any advice on this one, I just want you to know I totally understand.
    Last edited by @llli*kelmarsol; July 27th, 2008 at 08:31 PM.
    Cosleeping, Cding, BWing, Aping, nonvaxing, Ecing, Tandem nursing Mama

Breslynn Noelle 3/15/08
    Adalynn Grace 5/7/09

I am so sorry. I know exactly how you feel. My 9 month old refuses a bottle also. I think the pp have given some good advice. I heard that you could try to feed the baby next to running water....by the sink??? I don't know, maybe that is urban legend....but worth a try.

Good luck!
    Becca SAHM to
    Veronica 10/31/05

and Preston 10/28/07

<--- me!
    (I love this smiley!)

I finally got on Facebook! If anyone wants to be my
    friend.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*number3 View Post
    How long will you be gone?
    WHat hours of the day?

At the age your LO is, you could try a cup as well as spoon feeding, or mom-cicles even- later on. But it all depends on when and how long you'll be gone...
    I leave between 6-6:30am, and return anywhere between 4 and 5 pm. We did try a cup once, but she didn't take it. I'd like to try again, so we bought some small cups from a Montessori store to use. A pediatrician friend said that she wouldn't let herself starve, but I hate to make my poor dd go through the trauma! DD will be staying with my mil, but she isn't here yet to do some trial runs before school starts. Long story...

I do like the momsicles idea, I'll have to try that. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*danlynclark View Post
    Who is offering the bottle? Sometimes babies won't accept a bottle from Mom because they know the real-deal is just a shirt away. What positions have you tried? We found that my son did not like to be in the typical nursing position. He would sit on DH's lap facing outward and drink the bottle that way.
    So far we've tried cuddled in DH's arms, in the car seat, propped on the couch against my leg (all of which worked once but then never again), facing outwards, and lying on her blanket (which worked sort of, she took over 1/2 ounce that time). It's like she plays with the nipple (and we've tried different ones) takes a few sucks, gets distracted, and then starts wailing. She takes even less when I'm not around. She's very inconsistent. We'll keep trying...