Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: HELP- teething and BFing 24/7

Default HELP- teething and BFing 24/7

i posted that DD is getting her 2 bottom teeth (or at least she was getting the one, i discovered the other later). Anyway- if anyone has seen that episode of Family Guy where Stewie is Teething and Louis stops BFing, i TOTALLY can relate to her. I feel so bad but she wants to nurse NON stop 24/7. i have tried oragel, tylenol.. Pretty please offer some advice.
    Mommy to:
    Nathaniel 2/28/05
    Boy/Girl Twins: Raymond 17w4d & Candice 5/22/06
    Lana 12/22/07

Missing Wylder 9w5d
    TTCAL for another nursling!

Default Re: HELP- teething and BFing 24/7

Have you offered a cold wet washcloth that's been chilling in the freezer for a few minutes? Sometimes that appeals to a hardcore teether... If that doesn;t work, how about a momsicle- a frozen cube of expressed milk inside one of those mesh feeder doohickeys?

Hang in there!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

the washcloth she wont do.. a teething ring shell do until it isnt cold.
    I do have popsicles.. but maybe i will try a momsicle... hehe.

i really do feel bad because if im not nursing her shes crying.
    Mommy to:
    Nathaniel 2/28/05
    Boy/Girl Twins: Raymond 17w4d & Candice 5/22/06
    Lana 12/22/07

Missing Wylder 9w5d
    TTCAL for another nursling!

Have you tried babywearing? I was in the same boat when my son got those teeth, one night he stayed up until 1am because the pain wouldn't let him sleep. I tried teething tablets, wash cloths, teething rings, onion, vanilla, I even tried rubbing alcohol on his gums and then suddenly I remembered how much my son loved being worn - he'd grown so big and was too busy crawling to be held much -but I put him in his wrap and he fell asleep within 20 mins like magic. I love babywearing If you haven't worn your baby before, I recommend buying a stretchy wrap, like that you don't have to calculate how tight you have to wrap it around yourself. PM if you need any help learning how
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    First time mommy of Robert Nicolas, now 9 whole months(), and loving it!

Poor baby--and poor mama!!! to you both.

Some babies are just miserable when they're teething, that's all there is to it. You mentioned tylenol; have you considered ibuprofen?

Sometimes all you can do is sit and rock and nurse, because they really are in pain. I remember a 15 day stretch of time from h*ll when my dd cut an incisor and 4 molars. She still has a scar on one finger from when she stuck her finger in her mouth to bite down and broke the skin with the teeth she already had.

I told here when she had problems with her wisdom teeth to remember how bad they hurt, because that's how her babies would feel when they were teething.

Babywearing might be a good option, too. Just being in mama's arms and close could do the trick, and would allow you to move about.

Teething Tablets?
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*number3 View Post
    Teething Tablets?
    They're a homeopathic remedy; don't remember what's in them. My daughter has used them with some success with her baby.

I had never heard of them either until she pulled them out of the diaper bag one day.

Also never heard of onion or vanilla used for teething until I read about it here. Back in the day, my pedi called in a big bottle of paragoric to be given as drops every so many hours and rubbed on the gums as needed. Don't know if they still use that or not. Nasty stuff, IMO, but effective.

For some babies, teething is a piece of cake--mama looks in their mouth one day and there's three new teeth! And for some it's just horrible--the whole family knows for weeks ahead of time that's there's a new tooth a-comin'.