Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Baby led solids vs. purees - why?

Default Re: Baby led solids vs. purees - why?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jgenie View Post
    I want to have more information especially for when people ask why he's not getting cereals and the traditional 'first foods'.
    When people asked why we didn't give DS alot of the traditional first foods (like rice cereal) - I was armed with info about the calorie and fat content of breastmilk vs. a variety of foods.

My DS was (and still is) an itty bitty guy, so we concentrated on "nutrient" dense foods with lots of good fats.

Also - our pediatrician recommended that we feed DS foods with iron and mentioned that fortified baby cereals are a convenient source of iron, but never said that baby needed to eat baby cereal. Instead we gave DS foods high in iron (and viamin c which helps iron absorption).

When people raied their eyebrows at us for doing BLS - I smiled and commented that many sources recommend that baby should be starting finger foods between 8 - 10 mo and we just skipped purees and went directly to finger foods. DS started eating alot doing BLS at about 8.5 mo, which was nicely on "schedule" for that 8 - 10 mo starting finger foods.

Other ammunition - AAP and WHO both say exclusive breastfeeding for approximately the first 6 mo and then introducing solids as complementary to breastfeeding. Breastmilk is still the main source of nutrtion for the first year.

And I also found it helpful to totally ignore all the baby books and such that have charts of how many jars baby is supposed to be eating per day.

Philosophy about purees vs BLS aside - yes, I found that doing BLS was less prep work and when we were out I could feed him real foods and not need to lug around jars of puree and spoons and all that.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

[QUOTE=@llli*lsksam;548398]When people asked why we didn't give DS alot of the traditional first foods (like rice cereal) - I was armed with info about the calorie and fat content of breastmilk vs. a variety of foods.

Thanks for the chart - it's great!
    SAHM to DS1 (Jan. 08) and DS2 (Jan. 10)

Usually

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jgenie View Post
    Thanks for the chart - it's great!
    You're welcome! I used it alot when DS was starting solids.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)