Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baby led solids vs. purees - why?

Default Baby led solids vs. purees - why?

I started LO on cereal last week - he had a problem with constipation so I've stopped the cereal. I want to do baby led solids instead. Can you tell me why bls is preferred to purees? Is it because it's less prep for Mom? I have links on what foods to introduce first, but I want to have more information especially for when people ask why he's not getting cereals and the traditional 'first foods'.
    SAHM to DS1 (Jan. 08) and DS2 (Jan. 10)

Usually

Default Re: Baby led solids vs. purees - why?

Don't have to much info for you on this one, but I am sure many other mommies will give lots of good info too. I am pretty sure it has to do with allowing our LO's to feed themselves rather than feeding them with a spoon and possibly overfeeding. Also starting with sweeter foods like banana or avacado taste more like BM, rather than blan cereals that are sometimes harder to digest. My LO is only 4 mos and DH and I have decided to go this route also so I will be checking back at this post

Oh and be sure to check out kellymom.com. Lot's of good info on starting foods while not going with the "traditional" first foods.

Last edited by @llli*kelmarsol; July 26th, 2008 at 08:45 PM.
    Cosleeping, Cding, BWing, Aping, nonvaxing, Ecing, Tandem nursing Mama

Breslynn Noelle 3/15/08
    Adalynn Grace 5/7/09

Hey check out the thread just below...New to BLS please advise. All the info you need! HTH
    Cosleeping, Cding, BWing, Aping, nonvaxing, Ecing, Tandem nursing Mama

Breslynn Noelle 3/15/08
    Adalynn Grace 5/7/09

My son is 2.5 and he never had any cereal, or anything he didn't choose to put in his own mouth. I never boiled or peeled a thing. I decided to skip rice cereal because based on the info I found here, (LLL 1st food page) it wasn't a LLL recommended 1st food. And I found a bunch of things out about it that didn't sit well with me.
    -It's highly processed and has no real nutritional value other than the iron they fortify it with.
    -The iron that has been added is not nearly as absorbable as the iron you get from foods that actually have iron in them
    -It's known to cause constipation

I didn't want his 1st food or ANY of his foods to be processed. So I thought I would make his baby food. Then Annie linked up the page and the whole thing just made perfect sense to me. It feels like the perfect compliment to Exclusive breastfeeding in that you are allowing your child to continue to lead the way as with this method they are 100% responsible for their intake.
    And because of where my child had lead me up until this point in regards to parenting, it really clicked for me immediately. In that as a breastfeedijg mother, who also wore her baby and co-sleeps, it was working on what my instincts told me to do with my child. They tell me to trust my body to produce milk. They told me that is was not unreasonable or going to spoil him if he was with me, ON me as much as he wanted to be when small. My instincts tell me that small children that know their parents are next to them cry less and aren't afraid of the dark. And after reading the research, my instincts told me that before jarred food was around, that babies had to learn eat real food. And the survival of the species prior to last century suggests that in fact they they have natural coping mechinisms in place to help them do that.
    They do. Their tongue thrust keeps baby from swallowing anything before they are ready. As does the gag reflex. These two things keep baby from swallowing food before ready. Long before, MONTHS before my son actually swallowed anything he was learning to deal. Just to taste. To feel texture in his mouth. Then to chew and finally to swallow.
    The best advice I can give you is really really follow your child ques. Children really are NOT dying to eat table food. They don't even actually associate solid food with HUNGER for MONTHS after they begin. It's just a fascinating new experience for a long time. Often people want their children to be ready before they are. They mistake the intent way babies watch the family at the table with longing for food. But how can they long for that which they no nothing of? They are interested in your food the way they are interested in a water bottle or your keys. You hand those things to a 6month old and they will take them and they will probably mouth them too. It doesn't mean they are dying for a drink of water or wishing they could drive your car.
    If your child has met all the milestones and you make an attempt and the child does not put the food in their mouth on their own, they aren't ready. No worries put it away and try again in two weeks.
    If your child Pukes and or gags on everything or every time you try to feed them, they aren't ready. No worries, put it up, breastfeed for longer and try again in two weeks.
    These are sings that absolutely get missed when YOU choose to feed purees. Because YOU are deciding what, how much and when. A child will suck anything down if it's placed far enough back in his/her mouth.
    IMO it took huge pressure off of me. All I had to do was have quality food available and cut in to pieces that felt safe. The research speaks of "chip" shaped food. Which translates into "french Fry" shaped pieces. Pieces that they can get their hands around and still get apiece into their own mouth. And when you use french fry shaped pieces, you really have nothing to worry about. Because even if a piece did get far enough back, it's not big enough to block the airway. you know your child knows how to swallow. So if you make sure to play with pieces that arent' large enough to block the airway, then there is nothing to worry about.
    Yes my child gagged. He even threw up a couple of times. But that is part of learning to cope with solid food. Choking and gagging aren't the same thing. A child that chokes turns blue. Because their airway is blocked. A child that is gagging will usually turn red, and cough some and sometimes puke. That child is still getting plenty pf air.
    Good luck, Have fun and Continue to trust your child to self regulate!

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    It doesn't mean they are dying for a drink of water or wishing they could drive your car.
    this is SOOO true!

sorry OP, I'll be back with my post when DS allows me...
    yes, my son comfort nurses, and I comfort forum!
    teeth counter now scoring: 11!
    WAHM (though hubby behaves like I'm a SAHM) to Luca Johannes, born 23/04/2007
    as well as his great-grandmother (23/04/1916) and his aunt (23/04/1972)
    - both delighted by the generational continuity...

I can't add anything to Shelly's post above. Other than to say BLS is IMO better for the baby in that they learn so many thing by not being spoon fed. Not sure there's a true long term benefit, but I think there is in the short term.

Just be sure to get yourself to an infant/child CPR class so you don't worry unnecessarily about choking
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

What type of cereal did you try? I've heard that in general oatmeal is less constipating than rice. If it was just last week that you did it.... how do you know for sure he was constipated? I'm not trying to say he wasn't... but just that their stools do change a lot when they start solids and if they strain or have more firm poop that is not necessarily constipation.

Also, at some point they need to have some grains in their diet... and one reason for doing cereal is to introduce them to some grains just like you would do with other foods and make sure they're not allergic. Many types of rice cereal, both store-bought and homemade, are just actual rice broken down into a powder so they are eating real rice just in a form they can handle at a young age.

You mentioned that BLS is "preferred" to purees. Yes, on these boards it seems that it is, but IMO both BLS and beginning with traditional purees have their benefits and drawbacks and you just have to do what works for your own family. I'm pretty sure there's never been an actual study done to measure the outcomes of many different parameters to say that BLS is in fact "better" - but if anyone knows of any research I would be interested in seeing it.

FWIW, I've heard a lot about how it people can run into a lot of problems with babies not taking in many solids for a very long time or being overly picky if solids are introduced too slowly or too late. If you are planning on weaning between the first or second birthday this might be a problem - and could be a problem even if you're not weaning.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lovebeingmommy View Post
    Also, at some point they need to have some grains in their diet... and one reason for doing cereal is to introduce them to some grains just like you would do with other foods and make sure they're not allergic. Many types of rice cereal, both store-bought and homemade, are just actual rice broken down into a powder so they are eating real rice just in a form they can handle at a young age.

You mentioned that BLS is "preferred" to purees. Yes, on these boards it seems that it is, but IMO both BLS and beginning with traditional purees have their benefits and drawbacks and you just have to do what works for your own family. I'm pretty sure there's never been an actual study done to measure the outcomes of many different parameters to say that BLS is in fact "better" - but if anyone knows of any research I would be interested in seeing it.

FWIW, I've heard a lot about how it people can run into a lot of problems with babies not taking in many solids for a very long time or being overly picky if solids are introduced too slowly or too late. If you are planning on weaning between the first or second birthday this might be a problem - and could be a problem even if you're not weaning.

Here's a resource that talks about the "solids window' being a myth

And here's one that talks about cereals/ baby grain, as a first food.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

It looks like you have 2 different questions- do they need cereal and BLS or Purees? Whether you choose BLS, purees, or a combination thereof, they don't "need" cereal. It is your choice whether you want to give it to them, some love it, some have constipation issues, etc. My lo had a very uncomfortable blowout after 1st rice cereal and that was her last cereal, but not just for that reason, I just didn't feel she needed it after researching it. It also was not the first food she had- I opted for bananas, sweet potatoes, avocado, etc. Personally, I guess we do a mix of BLS and purees although even the purees, she spoon feeds herself, if she doesn't want it, it doesn't go in her mouth- so I guess that's kind of BLS too. Anyway, pp did a great job on explaining BLS, just thought I'd put my two cents in and point out it doesn't have to be all or nothing and that the cereal thing is just an outdated notion since that's what they started with "back in the day", but they also started them way early on solids and now that's not recommended either. Your pedi will also most likely do an iron check at 9 mos old and make recommendations if any issues. My dd's iron levels were fine...
    since 10/10/07
    and still going...

Thanks for the input - we've dropped the cereals and are going to use purees for a few weeks and then try BLS.
    SAHM to DS1 (Jan. 08) and DS2 (Jan. 10)

Usually