Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Relactation?

Default Re: Relactation?

One more question. I know you would think I know this after Bf for so long, but this is new to me, my other two didn't go throught this, when they were done they were done.
    Anyway. She likes to nurse about 3 times a day now. Morning, when I get home from work, and before bed, as of now she will go about 20 min on one side if I let her. With her doing this, will I start to produce milk again? The reason I ask is I tend to leak, and I don't want an red-faced moment at work.
    They think that she is weaned , and I don't want to try and explain it. I don't think they would understand.
    Thanks again for the advice and help! You guys are the best!

One more question, I know I should know most of this stuff, but my other 2 when they wer done. that was it, didn't want anymore to do with it. This one is completely different.

She has been wanting to nurse 1st thing in the morning, and a little when I get home from work, then again before bed, and will fall asleep nursing. If she keeps going at this rate, what are the chances I will start producing milk again? If so, how long does it take? I don't want one of those red-faced moments at work, when I was nursing her the first time I would leak quite a bit whenit was time for me to feed her.I don't want to start leaking at work, I don't think the people I work with would understand her wanting to nurse after she was weaned, and me letting her.
    Thanks again for all your help!

Sorry it posted twice!
    Last edited by @llli*bapbrb; July 28th, 2008 at 05:53 PM. Reason: posted twice

Most likely you will produce milk again! When milk will come back is hard to say, most mom's who relactate seem to be able to be back a full supply in about the time it had been since they weaned. So if you'd been weaned a month, it would take that long to get back to a full supply. I imagine that it would take anywhere from a few days to a couple of weeks to actually be able to get milk.
    I hope that at least gives you an idea, it's a pretty wide range of normal!

Perhaps you can keep an extra shirt at work, or wear thin nursing pads (cloth would probably be more comfortable) just in case while your unsure.

mama!
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

Ok, I will keep that in mind. It was funny, after I posted that last one, I got home from work and the baby kept saying "more" and patting my chest. so I let her nurse for a little bit, it was about 5 min or so, and then "bite" I firmly told her no. She got mad, and wouldn't even look at my breast. So I switched sides and she nurse there for a little bit, I think she is getting frustrated at not getting anything. So before I nursed her before bed, I used my hand, and felt a vrey light let down feeling, I looked down and there was a few drops! I told my husband and he just smiled and shook his head "already?" The body is an amazing thing huh? I think I will try the hand expression thing every couple hours for a couple min. I don't want to haul the pump back and forth with me to work again. She seemed a little happier when she atleast got a little bit of a taste. So we will see what happens. If I do the hand expression even if just for a couple min. Say on a bathroom break or something like that, that should be enough to get the girls going again right, If I am producing drops after her nursing a few times the last couple days right?

Wow you got milk already! That's a great sign!! Our bodies are amazing

Yes! Hand expressing would help for sure! I can understand not wanting to pull out the pump, and many mothers do very well with just hand expressing. Even if you only do it a couple of times a day that will help a great deal.
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Yes, I had hoped that was a good sign to have some so soon. Don't get me wrong it was only a couple drops, but it was something!!! I thought the hand expression might work but I wanted to check. The big thing is stimulating let down right? Even if I can't spend a lot of time (mostly at work) trying to get my supply going again. I thought I had read somewhere the more you incourage the let down, that encouraged more milk production.
    The baby is to funny! This morning she nursed right after she got up. She nursed on my right side, very actively nursing, for about 10 min. she came off and desided she wanted the other side. After a couple min she started to bite me (I don't know what it is about that side) I told her "no" she looked up at me and turned away from my breast. You know, the "I'm not talking to you look" I think she is wanting more the to comfort nurse at this point. I figure if I can get it going again, I can atleast let her nurse in the morning before I go to work, and at night before bed. A little bit is better then nothing right?

Yes any breastmilk is good milk!! It is interesting to note that a low supply will likely be high in fat and calories, so more dense. Almost to make up for the amount!

We know that an empty breast makes milk quicker and a full breast will slow production. Getting a letdown would greatly help empty the breast, so definitely that's something you want to do. To increase milk you want to drain the breast as often and as completely as possible, that will make you the most milk the quickest.
    Even if your not pumping and nursing 24/7 you will still make milk, do what you can when you can and see what happens. It's totally up to you guys.

Jessica
    LLL Leader

Thats kinda what I thought. Today has been a little bit of an eye opener. I realized she may not be nursing just for comfort. Tonight when I went to nurse her like I have the past few nights, she nursed for a couple min and then got really frustrated because nothing was happening. I think she is once again wanting mommies milk. Which this whole thing is so odd to me, like I said before my other when they weaned they were like, "ok I am done now" and that was it! I will see what I can do to produce again, but having the time to try and pump to encourage relactation, may be difficult. If I let her nurse 2-3 times a day, will that produce anything do you think? Maybe enough to satsify her? I would like to go ahead and do this for her, but I fought for what little I was producing towards the end last time. Is there anything I can do that besides pumping that would encourage the milk to ocme back in?

I am glad things are going the way you want them to.
    Kristina Jeremiah since 2-18-1998
    Mother to
    2-02
    Gavin 1-03 Nursed 2.5mo
    Keean 5-04 BCLP
    Alexis 12-06 Nursed 12mo THEN
    Relactated after 5mo(due to her dairy intol.) and ended up making 30oz a day
    Now we are Weaned! AGAIN!
    Kason 6-2-10
    Birth..8 lbs 5.9 oz
    4 wks.... 10 lbs 12 oz
    9 wks.... 13 lbs 14 oz
    15wks... 16 lbs 4 oz
    17wks... 17 lbs 2 oz
    6 mo..... 19 lbs 6 oz
    7 mo .....20 lbs 3 oz

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bapbrb View Post
    I can do that besides pumping that would encourage the milk to ocme back in?
    Yes definitely!

Here's a good link on more about galactagogues (substance that increases milk supply). There's everything from water and oatmeal, to prescription medications. Most mothers use a combination of things (like oatmeal, and fenugreek).
    Let me know what you think!

ETA: Also take a look at the things that decrease supply. Things like peppermint (a lot of it), sage, or cold medicine can decrease supply. Also take a look at this link just to make sure you might not have an underlying medical issue that was causing your low supply.
    Last edited by @llli*LLLJessica; July 30th, 2008 at 07:32 AM.
    Jessica
    LLL Leader