Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Relactation?

Exclamation Relactation?

My DD is almost 10 months old, we mutually weaned about 1 1/2 months ago, now she is showing intrest in nursing again. One problem, besides the obvious,
    due to complications with her c-section, I am on BCP's is it safe for her to nurse, I don't think I am prducing anything anymore. Has anyone ever I guess you would call it dry nursing?
    Thank you!

Default Re: Relactation?

I moved your thread to the relactation board.

Can you tell us what sort of birth control your on? We can give you some information about safety with nursing. Most medications are considered safe, especially with an older nursling.

Will she take the breast? I would encourage you to start there, if it's comfortable for her to nurse then you can just let her do her thing and she will encourage the supply she's wanting. If you wanted to you could pump for supply, but it's not something you have to do. Mother's often dry nurse, we also call it comfort nursing. This usually happens when moms supply is low due to a medical condition, or something like pregnancy where there's a temporary lull in supply.

Since you nursed for about 9 months and she's showing interest and your willing to let her nurse you have a great chance at success getting her back to the breast!
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

Oh, whew! I was affraid I had offened someone!
    Thank you for your info. Yes she will latch on if offered. This afternoon, she kept crying, and sayng "more" and pulling on my shirt, so I figured "what the heck" She nursed herself to sleep, she nursed for a total od 20 min! She hadn't done that for the longest time, toward the end she would nurse for about 5 min on each side then she wanted down to play.
    I am taking a generic of Ortho-Cyclin. I started that when I weaned her, the Ob wants to avoid pregnancy for atleast a year, so he can see if my tube is completley blocked or partially. I have had kinda a rough Preg. History, my 1st was born by emer. c-section, then when she was 9 months old I delivered her little sister at 20 wks, she didn't make it. We waited a year got our son. Waited a while, and started trying for you littlest and it took us about 15 months to get pregnant. The thing to Ob is worried about is what ever happened to my tube, it bled so bad she(diff Ob, again emer c-section) had to practically sew it shut. If it is safe for LO, and she keeps showing intrest in BFing, I want to allow her to do so! I had mixed emotions about weaning her, but I was hardly producing anything( maybe 2 oz every 5-6 hours) I had hurt my neck and Dr. gave me muscle relaxers, so I figured what the heck, she wasn't that interested in it anyway. She was getting mostly formula during the day anyway sinc eI wasn't really producing anything. She is very happy to latch on and "nurse" forever even though she isn't getting anything form me!
    Thanks again for all your help!!!
    Last edited by @llli*bapbrb; July 26th, 2008 at 07:39 PM. Reason: all of reply didn't post

It sounds like you guys have had a very rough time of it!

The type of BCP your on is approved by the AAP for use in nursing mothers. Here's a link with more info! Some mother's will see a decrease in milk supply, but since your ok with comfort nursing then it probably won't effect you guys too much.
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Smile Re: Relactation?

Thank you SO MUCH!!! I had hoped that it would be ok, i so miss the close bond we had while she was nursing! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!!

Your Welcome!! So glad to be able to help!! Please let us know how it goes
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

We will!

Smile Re: Relactation?

Ok, so just a quick update......
    I know I just started this a few hours ago. But I feel I have to share this.

I let my LO nurse tonight at the same time she would normally get a bottle and fall asleep on it. She took her bottle a little earlier then normal. She seemed kinda fussy, like she normally does. only tonight I let her nurse, and guess what?? She didn't scream, fuss, fight or anything like she normally goes through. She happily nursed, and nursed, and nursed, for about 20 min again, untill she fell asleep, and came off on her own. Just like she used to. I put her in her crib, and she didn't wake up the instant her bottom hit the bed like she normally does. She is sound asleep. I guess the last few weeks of having a hard time getting her to sleep, was her way of telling me what she wanted. You know, at this point, I don't care if I produce milk again, if i do great! If I don't, you know thats ok too. Which do you think she would prefer? The bottle, a pacifier(that she has NEVER liked) or me. I think you know my answer.

wow this has to be the quickest good update we've ever had!

That's really awesome, I definitely agree with you that she will continue to benefit from nursing no matter the quantity of milk!
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Reading this thread gave me warm fuzzies.
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!