Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many spoons of rice cereal?

Default How many spoons of rice cereal?

My 6.5 month just had his 1st 2 meals of rice cereal. I have read some info on web and from books - but i still dont know how many spoons of rice cereal and approx how much breastmilk i should mix together to feed him? any idea? and my understanding is that he will then take rice cereal for 1 meal and we skip 1 feeding a day.... and so on and on, right?

Default Re: How many spoons of rice cereal?

I have no clue and Ill tell you why - we never did cereals

Here's a link
    with more info on first foods (and it talks a little about the rice and other cereals.)
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

So.. what did you give your baby as first food?

I did meats but they were closer to 9-12 months old and had teeth...
    I would watch babies poops
    you don't want them to have trouble pooping.
    Cereal can cause constipation.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jipjip View Post
    So.. what did you give your baby as first food?
    The very first was given cereal with negative results.. so then it was other foods with her for the rest of the time then the same for DS1 and when ds2 came along we tried banana and avocado, neither of which he could manipulate well so we went to beans!! THat boy loves beans!

The link above gives good ideas to start
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

thanks to both of you. i was confused as i read that i should give rice cereal and then some info says meat, etc. i just couldnt quite understand the sequence of introducing solid food.

maybe this will help
    http://www.llli.org/NB/NBJulAug01p150.html

You don't need to worry too much about what foods you start on what schedule. In fact, you should stay flexible and watch how well your baby accepts new foods. A good schedule allows four to seven days between introductions of each new food. Some parents prefer to start with a bit of mashed banana. Some prefer warm cooked cereal. A few like to begin with mashed bits of sweet potato or avocado.

The process of starting new foods ought to take three to six months. It ought to be one at a time, slow and steady.

Great link above, and here's one more with more ideas

Eleanor Roosevelt

Emerson

we tried cereal around 8 months but caused terrible gas and tons of pain so we stop. waited another month or so and started table foods processed with BM mixed in to make it sort of soupy. we only gave it every so often, like once a week until 10 months and then we add it a few more days. Just ease into it and remember the foods at this point are only for getting use to the idea and offer no real nutruits. You will notice what goes in comes back out!
    wife , mom, maid , cook , taxi. All in a days work

Breastmilk should still be the main part of baby's diet up till 12 mos of age. You don't want to start replacing nursing sessions with solid food unless you are trying to wean. If you want to keep up your milk supply and continue breastfeeding for as long as possible, you should nurse first and then (maybe an hour later) offer the solids. This will ensure that baby is not full from solids when you try to nurse after.

A lot of sources say that breastfed babies need some other source of iron besides breastmilk after six months of age. Formula is fortified with iron so FF babies don't have this issue. Solids do offer worthwhile nutrients, such as iron and vitamins, to baby's diet. Bananas, according to everything I've read and from talking to lots of other moms, can be quite constipating so be careful if you are giving those. However, as long as baby is getting lots of breastmilk he shouldn't have too much trouble with constipation.