Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is your toddler a good eater?

Default Re: Is your toddler a good eater?

My DS is 14 months and doesn't eat a large amount of solids. He puts everything in his mouth and the majority of it comes back out. I found it helps to give many sips of water to help it go down.

I know that in the 2nd year many toddlers will still nurse a lot, my pedi said it's okay to nurse as much as we want. Offer a variety of textures and flavors and they will eventually get into the solids, some are just slower at it than others.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

My boy is 13 months old and he's picky eater, I'd say. He doesn't seem to eat much but I still nurse him 6-8 times a day. He used to love carrot and sweet potato but after he exposes to more food, now he doesn't want to eat any vegetable anymore. Well he likes cerery but it's difficult for him to chew. He loves fruit, cherries (not good for him, gave me bad diaper rash), banana, strawberry, Kiwi, and grapes. He loves cheerios and baby's cookies. He gets too much treat from his dad like ice cream, sweet snack but I try to feed him healty food every meal.

My son is 16 months old, and he is a very good eater. I'm expecting that to change some as he gets into older toddlerhood, but he eats a wide variety of things now. His favorites at the moment are cottage cheese, blueberries, banana, black beans, and raisins (but always subject to change lol). We don't push either; when it's mealtime he gets what we're having (or sometimes a deconstructed variation, if he likes it better that way), and if he eats, that's fine; if not, that's ok too. He currently nurses usually twice a day, which is less than I'd like if I were deciding alone, but this is where he has led us.

My daughter is 19 months. She nurses 4-7 times a day. She hardly every eats breakfast - but I offer her different things for breakfast every morning. One thing she will consistently eat, even for breakfast, is a thin crust pizza with spinach on it. She tends to prefer non-traditional breakfast foods, which I do too. She LOVES fruit - any kind of berry are her favorites. We struggle a little with vegetables, but the funny thing is, when she was eating baby food, she ate a ton of vegetables and didn't want any fruit! I try not to stress over her food intake - she'll try what I give her most of the time, she just doesn't eat a lot at a time.
    Mommy to:

Emmalynn Marie
    Born at 37 weeks on 12/22/06
    5lbs 1oz 19 1/2in

Owen Charles
    Born at 29 wks 6 days on 01/17/09
    2lbs 14oz 15in
    In NICU for 2 months

Define "good" and I'll answer

Toddlers are synonymous with being "picky" but the key continuing to offer a variety of foods and not allow one's self to get 'caught-up' in labeling the kid as picky.

That is not to say some children aren't, by definition, going to grow up to be more particular or finicky but allowing them to make that distinction later, on their own, is more important.

Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

My 16 mo DD VERY unpredictable. One day she'll eat great - the next she'd be happy skipping meals altogether... And, similar to your experience - one day she loves pears and the next day she'll just throw them on the ground...

I just offer her food - usually some of what DH and I are eating and let her eat as she wants...

Someone on these boards said that the toddler/baby is much more in tune to hunger than adults - if they're hungry they'll eat - if not, they won't - and they won't starve...

It sounds to me like your toddler is completely normal.
    Kerry - first time mom to Isabella Grace 3/2/07

Still nursing at 16 months, working, and trying to balance my life!

I've been very fortunate. My 27 mo twins eat almost anything. They been good eaters since ~14-16 months. They especially like pasta, but will eat a wide range of foods -- spicey, bland, saucey, dry, whatever. They love fruit, particularly DS, but they don't get any if they don't eat a decent meal. I avoid use of condiments with their food, use very little salt if any, and they get no sweets other than fruit, except on very rare occasions (like only 4 times ever I think).

Unlike some of the others who've written, I don't give them a lot of choices. They are expected to eat what is served, and pretty much do. If they don't want it, I figure they'll be hungry enough at the next meal to do better. I don't want to set a precedent of making something different for them from what I am eating. I respect that they have preferences by giving them stuff I know they particularly enjoy and allowing them to eat more of one thing on their plate rather than equal amounts of all, but until they're cooking for themselves, momma rules. That doesn't mean they get to eat all potatoes without eating much protein. But they can have seconds on something if they make a good dent in everything else.

My sister also has twins, a year older than mine. She's a very creative cook, but they are much pickier eaters. Her pediatrician told her that as long as they get a range of foods at some point during the week that's fine. They don't have to get all food groups in on a given day.

We call my son "2 bite Jack". He is 19 mos and will eat about 2 bites of whatever we give him and he's done. He still nurses ALOT- day and night. So, while the dr tells me nurse less and he'll eat more, I keep reminding myself that he is getting all the nutrition he needs from me and the small amts of food he gets. He is happy and healthy - just weighs less than the dr would like but so what? I feel mother nature has a way of working all that out.

Depends on the day. One day G will eat like it's going out of style and the next she will eat like a bird. One day she'll eat chicken by the handful and the next she'll spit it out, "I don't like chicken." I would say that most of the time she is a good eater. We are clearly in the picky toddler stage, but I do allow her to choose some of her meals, and she never ceases to amaze me when we try new things with her that I swear she'll spit out, but does the exact opposite.

Of course, if I let her choose the meals every day, I am quite certain that we would be having some combination of hot dogs, mac and cheese, chicken nuggets, all with ranch dressing and/or ketchup.
    Robin

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bellasmom View Post
    My 16 mo DD VERY unpredictable. One day she'll eat great - the next she'd be happy skipping meals altogether... And, similar to your experience - one day she loves pears and the next day she'll just throw them on the ground...

I just offer her food - usually some of what DH and I are eating and let her eat as she wants...

Someone on these boards said that the toddler/baby is much more in tune to hunger than adults - if they're hungry they'll eat - if not, they won't - and they won't starve...

It sounds to me like your toddler is completely normal.
    Thanks everyone for your answers. I guess unpredictable is a good word to describe her. In the past few days I have found that she seems to eat better if I just leave her plate out... she eats a few bites while playing. She also seems to eat better sitting on our laps and eating off our plates. Whatever works. I don't push....I do offer a few choices.. but once she starts throwing food on the floor I take everything away.

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!