Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: a few questions

Default a few questions

My LO is starting his 4th week today.

sorry for no caps - baby just woke up and am typing one handed

already this site has helped me overcome so many issues.
    We had latching trouble (we are still working on this) and today overcame engorgement of the right breast.

Just a few questions....

1) he sometimes has mucusy milky bubbles at his mouth. usually upon waking. should i be concerned? he doesn't have a fever.

2) he's been doing this weird thing where he'll pull off after a while and then gum my breast like a fish but not re-latch. he'll do this for about a minute, over and over again and then aggressively re-latch himself. Sometimes will suck really hard and then pull off really fast. is he playing? after a few minutes he stops and acts a little annoyed so i switch sides. then he latches right on and drinks away happily.

3) if he is content and full with one breast, may i pump the other to freeze the milk? Or will this cause an over abundance in milk? (i pump when he doesn't wake up after two hours to allow dad to participate in feedings. Got started because the pediatricians were freaking me out during the first week by telling me that i was going to run out of milk and he was going to loose too much weight)

4) if my milk looks thin (when i pump) , how do i know if it is an imbalance or if my milk just has more water in it due to me drinking alot of water?

that's it for now.....

Default Re: a few questions

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jordan-n-mommy View Post
    My LO is starting his 4th week today.

sorry for no caps - baby just woke up and am typing one handed

already this site has helped me overcome so many issues.
    We had latching trouble (we are still working on this) and today overcame engorgement of the right breast.

Just a few questions....

1) he sometimes has mucusy milky bubbles at his mouth. usually upon waking. should i be concerned? he doesn't have a fever.
    Totally normal and nothing to worry about!!!!
    2) he's been doing this weird thing where he'll pull off after a while and then gum my breast like a fish but not re-latch. he'll do this for about a minute, over and over again and then aggressively re-latch himself. Sometimes will suck really hard and then pull off really fast. is he playing? after a few minutes he stops and acts a little annoyed so i switch sides. then he latches right on and drinks away happily.
    He might be playing or annoyed that the milk isn't going out as fast??

3) if he is content and full with one breast, may i pump the other to freeze the milk? Or will this cause an over abundance in milk? (i pump when he doesn't wake up after two hours to allow dad to participate in feedings. Got started because the pediatricians were freaking me out during the first week by telling me that i was going to run out of milk and he was going to loose too much weight)
    If you have a healthy baby that nurses a normal amount and you have no issues with your supply then there is no need to pump unless you want too. If he is content on one side then yes its a good time to pump and throw some milk in the freezer.... you will however increase your supply if you do this daily... the more they suck the more you make. Its all about supply and demand.

4) if my milk looks thin (when i pump) , how do i know if it is an imbalance or if my milk just has more water in it due to me drinking alot of water?
    The way the milk looks when you pump all depends on when you are pumping... after baby feeds etc. The first milk to come out of the breast is the watery milk, the thicker fatty milk called hind milk takes a few min of nursing or pumping to get too. If you lo has just nursed and you are pumping afterwards you might get only the thin stuff or only the thick stuff.. DOn't stress about the way the milk looks. If you baby is gaining weight and putting out plenty of pee and poo he is just fine. Woman's bodies are designed to feed their young don't let your pediatrican fool you into thinking that your body won't produce enough. If you feed on demand most woman will produce plenty!! Congrats on your baby and good luck!

that's it for now.....
    GOod job on the nursing!! Keep it up

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jordan-n-mommy View Post
    My LO does this gumming thing too before she latches, or sometime's she will pop on and off a few times before gtting down to it. It seems to induce a letdown.

thank you!