Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: need encouragement

Default need encouragement

my baby is breastfed. sometimes my baby is gassy and i personally feel i should just burp him more frequently and also have been doing the colic massage the i found in another thread (works wonders!) but my mom insists that i give him water to ease his discomfort. she even insists that i give him water just to "refresh" him. despite my efforts to tell her i do not want to give him water because 1) my breast milk has everything he needs and he does not need a water supplement to feel refreshed and 2) i do not want to fill his little belly up with water that is just making him full but not providing nutrients and could cause a disturbance in his tummy and intestines. since i told her it could cause a problem she snapped back how would i know if i don't try. anyways, i told her that i researched it and everywhere advises against it. she insists that water is a cure for gas. am i just being overprotective? he isn't even really that fussy. when he fusses, I burp, feed or change him and he's happy. i either need advice or some encouragement.

Btw- i live with my mother and this is my first child so the conflict is unavoidable. Even my husband has tried to back me up but she is so insistent. Even my dad has snapped at me telling me not to "get smart" with my mom (even thought she didn't even breast feed me!)

Default Re: need encouragement

Rough situation mama. But you could always print her out the resources your talking about and give them to her. (like this one) DO you happen to have a pedi that agrees with you that you could use as "back up'??

How old is baby?
    Last edited by @llli*number3; July 25th, 2008 at 10:32 PM.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

moved my questions
    Last edited by @llli*jordan-n-mommy; July 25th, 2008 at 11:36 PM.

i just read the article you linked to along with all the others that took me to. thank you. I will pass the water info on to my mom.

sorry you are having issues with your mom. i think you might just try and get her to here it from your pedi or just let her know you think it is wonderful advice and you know she is trying to help but you need to figure out what works best for you and your baby. In the mean time just hang in there and do what you know in your gut is right for your baby! Mother knows Best!!
    wife , mom, maid , cook , taxi. All in a days work