Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Excruciating Pain: What do you think it is?

Default Excruciating Pain: What do you think it is?

My little one is 12 days old. We had a rough start with jaundice. 4 days in phototherapy and bottle feeding EBM since she was too sleepy to breastfeed. I spent 3 days with a lactation consultant to ensure she got a good latch after all the bottles.

For the past week I have been experiencing toe curling pain with each feed. It is not a latch issue. It is worse on the right than the left. The first minute or so is like she is sucking sand out through my nipples. It is hot fire at the nipple site but I also feel shooting pain up into the breast up to the chest cavity. I literally have to use my labouring techniques to get through the pain and I want to cry every time. On the left it subsides and feeding becomes relatively painless and comfortable. On the right it decreases but never goes away entirely. In fact on the right I now feel aching between feeds deep in the breast tissue. I have taken tylenol twice to handle the ache. Last night during a feed I was getting nauseas from the pain during feeding.

Based on this what do you think is going on? I am happy to answer more questions if needed to get this resolved quickly,

Default Re: Excruciating Pain: What do you think it is?

Can you check out this resource to see if it could be thrush and see if it rings a bell (then call a local LLL leader in the am)

Let us know.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Wow Mama--sounds like you have been through a tough time! Congrats on the birth of your lo and great job for making it this far. I'm sorry you are having such a tough time with the pain! You say its not a latch problem, but it never hurts to revisit good latching techniques.

Have you or your lo been on antibiotics? You might check out this link on thrush.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

I'm glad you're here and sorry you are having such a rough start with breastfeeding.

My first thought is the same as the two previous posters--it sounds like thrush (a yeast infection on and/or in the breast).

I hope you get some relief soon.
    Marianne
    LLL Leader

I have to fess up that I have already been to the doctor about this. I was there 4 days ago. I had the same pain with my son. I spent the first 8 weeks in agony. Finally I demanded to be treated for thrush and it all went away. However, with my son both he and I had been on antibiotics during and after delivery. This time around there were no antibiotics. I have a different doctor this time around. I told her all the symptoms and she insists that it is not thrush. In fact, she said she didn't believe it was thrush last time around either. Neither myself or my daughter are showing visible symptoms of thrush. Although my daughter has a slightly white tongue. My doctor has told me the white tongue is normal for breastfed babies. She has also told me that she believes my pain is just due to an oversupply and overactive let down. I do have a lot of milk but I am definitely not spraying or anything during let down. And the feeling of letdown is very different from this other pain.

After arguing with my doctor she has agreed to let me treat my nipples with Canesten cream. Over the counter, not prescription grade. She gave me a prescription for my daughter but doesn't want me to fill it unless I can prove the Canesten is having positive effects. This is where I am running into problems. The first day I used the cream things started to get worse. I thought that was a good sign as I have read it will get worse before it gets better with treatment. However, since that day things have tapered off and they are not really getting better. Therefore, I don't know if I should fill the prescription for my daughter or not. I obviously don't want to medicate her unneccessarily but I don't know how much longer I can work with the pain. I am also taking the acidopholus (started yesterday) and rinsing with vinegar water after each feed.

Reading the information in the links (thank you very much) it sounds like I might have the kind that is in the ducts. That might explain why the cream isn't working for me. With my son I was treated with a prescription cream but my son wasn't treated. Within three days things were a world better. But like I said I have a doctor that doesn't believe it is thrush, so I don't know what to do. Are there any other recommendations for thrush within the ducts that I could do myself or anything you can suggest to help me manage the pain until I can find someone who might treat me differently?

What doctor is this you're speaking of? a GP or your OB?

I had great success keeping serious cases of thrush at bay by taking Grapefruit seed extract tablets...
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

It is my OB doctor. She saw me throughout pregnancy and delivered my daughter, so she has been there from start to finish.

Do you have a GP you can talk to about it?

Eleanor Roosevelt

Emerson

Unfortunately, we are in the process of switching GPs, so I can't get in that quickly as they don't have all our medical records yet. I might try a walk in clinic. However, I think I will try the grapefruit seed extract first. It couldn't hurt.

A question about the acidopholus...The recommended dosage on the Kelly Mom website is 2 pills 3 times daily. The dosage on the bottle says one or two capsules daily. Is it safe to take the dosage recommended by Kelly Mom? Or are there things I should be aware of?

*I* would follow the rec on the bottle for the time being. Make sure they' live active bacteria too - not just at the time of manufacture. A good HF store should be able to help you make sure yours are or suggest somthing that is.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Emerson