Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: New to BLS please advise

Default New to BLS please advise

DS will be 6 mos this weekend. For the past month he has been very interested in our food. He can sit up easily in his Bumbo chair and has no tongue thrust reflex. Since he has been getting progressively more frustrated when we eat meals in front of him, we tried giving him a little rice cereal this week. I nursed him first then prepared the cereal. As soon as he saw the spoon, he grabbed it and shoved it into his mouth. I ended up using two spoons to feed him about 2T of rice cereal mixed with BM. As I loaded one spoon up, he messily fed himself with the other . I initially was going to feed solids the traditional route (ie starting with purees) but now I think he may do better with BLS since he is so independent. I am still worried about potential allergies and would like to try a new food every 5 to 7 days. The next food we were going to try was avocado. Is it safe to simply offer him a slice rather than mashing it up and spoon feeding him?

Default Re: New to BLS please advise

THats the idea behind BLS - that they feed themselves. You can search BLS on the forum for more info and earlier I bumped some choking vs gaggin threads for another mama... they might be helpful as well. Here's a link with good ideas for some first foods to try. This link has a chart for when to intro what (with regard to potential allergies )

Oh and if you haven't already - get into a local infant/child cpr course
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Ds liked avocado, but its hard for them to grasp. Small chopped bits worked better for him than the slices, which he just slid around on the table.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*wdsmom View Post
    The next food we were going to try was avocado. Is it safe to simply offer him a slice rather than mashing it up and spoon feeding him?
    I've been reading up on it because I think I will go that route when my lo is ready, and from what I understand french-fry sized pieces are encouraged. With that said though, some people cut food into tiny pieces. I think the basic rule is that the baby is in control of what and how much he puts in his mouth Here are some basic guidelines for bls.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Can your child sit unassisted when not in the Bumbo? One of the signs you want to wait for when doing BLS is sitting unassisted. It's a developmental thing. If he can only sit in the bumbo, I'd hold off. That's the thing about BLS. You are really letting the child lead the way. I know people often think that babies need to eat because they act interested in our food. But the truth is they act interested in everything we do. They are as interested in a coke can and the mail.
    So don't rush it. There is such a short period of time where YOU are truly all they need. And if your child can't yet sit unassisted(the bumbo is assisting in sitting)then he isn't ready.

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    Can your child sit unassisted when not in the Bumbo? One of the signs you want to wait for when doing BLS is sitting unassisted.
    It's a developmental thing. If he can only sit in the bumbo, I'd hold off. That's the thing about BLS. You are really letting the child lead the way. I know people often think that babies need to eat because they act interested in our food. But the truth is they act interested in everything we do. They are as interested in a coke can and the mail.
    So don't rush it. There is such a short period of time where YOU are truly all they need. And if your child can't yet sit unassisted(the bumbo is assisting in sitting)then he isn't ready.
    And on that note - here's solids readiness list
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Thanks for so many quick responses . When he sits without the Bumbo, he kind of sits like a frog. He usually has to prop himself with one or both arms to keep from falling over. I guess you could describe it as self assisted sitting

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*wdsmom View Post
    Thanks for so many quick responses . When he sits without the Bumbo, he kind of sits like a frog. He usually has to prop himself with one or both arms to keep from falling over. I guess you could describe it as self assisted sitting

we started feeding dd at 6 months and she was doing what you described when sitting. She also started shoving the spoon in her mouth right away. We tried BLS but then moved to mostly purees with some solids. At 8 months we are still doing a mix.