Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: is it possible to have overactive let down and low supply?

Default is it possible to have overactive let down and low supply?

Just wondering...
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

Default Re: is it possible to have overactive let down and low supply?

Hmm I imagine that anything is possible! Perhaps the milk you have is very forceful no matter the quantity.

Could you tell us more about what your experiencing?
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

I struggled with that at first. The let down was very fast but that did not mean I had too much milk. My mistake was treating the OALD with block feeding. This led to lower supply.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

I have low supply (working with LC and midwife and reglan etc) but he is usually fussy and often pops on and off at first. Yesterday there was just a jet stream coming out when he popped off - I didn't even realize what it was at first - just sat staring at my precious hard earned milk awasting. also when pumping I have noticed that it only usually takes a few seconds to let down as opposed to the two minutes my pisa gives me.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

Is this recently happening to you, with the forceful letdown? I'm wondering if it means your starting to see an increase in supply.

Does your baby seem to choke, spurt, or have difficulty swallowing during your letdown? You can nurse him laying down, with him on top. Or nurse with you leaning back, so that the milk is going up into his mouth instead of down.

It often seems to correct itself with the regulation of supply, or when baby gets older he can handle more milk at once like that.
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!