Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: What is this tingly feeling?

Question What is this tingly feeling?

I have a 13 day old that I bf once a day (I will increase the times in a week, when hubby goes to work). He spent the first week of his life in NICU and wasn't able to eat for about four days. When I do bf, I get the initial "Oh, yeah. I feel that. You latched!" But as he sucks it goes away. He always falls asleep after latching and he doesn't seem to eat that much. He eats 3 oz from a bottle about 5-6 times a day and the ped is happy with that. He goes about 3-4 hours between feedings. Again, no problem with that according to his pediatriacian.

Why is it when I pump, it takes forever (about 30-60 minutes) to get most of my milk out? I thought that you were supposed to pump until empty, but I drip-drip-drip at the end. Heck, I drip drip most of the time! Usually a stream of milk comes, but when I say stream, I mean one SINGLE small stream. No waterfall here. The issue is that sometimes, between pumping, I get this sharp tingly feeling in my chest. Should I be pumping when I get this feeling? I pump about every 4-5 hours and sometimes I get the feeling about an hour or two after pumping. What is it? What should I do when I get it? When I pump I get about 6-7 oz total, about 30 oz a day although yesterday I got 35. And how do I get the giant waterfall letdown????????????

I hope this post makes sense!!!

Default Re: What is this tingly feeling?

I'm guessing here, but I'm figuring for one thing it might help if you increased the frequency of your pumping. A 13-day-old would probably be nursing every 2-3 hours if nursing all the time, so I'm wondering if that may have something to do with it? I'm sure someone else will chime in soon.

ETA: I'm not sure everyone gets the "waterfall" letdown; I didn't early on (and though still nursing, I don't now either). Good luck!!

I have a 13 day old that I bf once a day (I will increase the times in a week, when hubby goes to work).
    Can you tell us more about this? Getting the baby to the breast ASAP would work to help your supply!

He spent the first week of his life in NICU and wasn't able to eat for about four days. When I do bf, I get the initial "Oh, yeah. I feel that. You latched!" But as he sucks it goes away. He always falls asleep after latching and he doesn't seem to eat that much.
    I'm thinking that this might have some to do with him being used to the bottle. Since it is very easy to suck milk out of a bottle, and the bottle will always give him milk he's used to that. Here is a resource on nipple confusion with links, which is probably more like nipple preference for him!
    Also a bit of massage when he latches on might help. Does he ever get to the suck suck pause, suck suck pause part? Or can you hear him swallow milk after it's letdown?

He eats 3 oz from a bottle about 5-6 times a day and the ped is happy with that. He goes about 3-4 hours between feedings. Again, no problem with that according to his pediatriacian.
    Is he getting breastmilk, formula or both? I'm not an expert on formula at all but I do know that they go much longer in between sessions, so perhaps your ped is basing this on a typical formula fed baby.
    Breastmilk is digested much faster, a typical newborn will nurse 8-12 times a day. Your really aiming for 10-12 times. So that's about every 1-3 hours. Also a baby will sometimes have a cluster nursing session (normally in the evening) where he will nurse for a few hours on and off, on and off.

Why is it when I pump, it takes forever (about 30-60 minutes) to get most of my milk out? I thought that you were supposed to pump until empty, but I drip-drip-drip at the end. Heck, I drip drip most of the time!
    It's a very common misconception that a breast will empty! In fact you are making milk ALL the time, so really no such thing as an empty breast. This is why you will drip for forever! Also can I ask what sort of pump you are using? Also are you able to pump from both breasts at the same time?

Usually a stream of milk comes, but when I say stream, I mean one SINGLE small stream. No waterfall here. The issue is that sometimes, between pumping, I get this sharp tingly feeling in my chest. Should I be pumping when I get this feeling?
    It's possible that your not having a letdown when you pump. This could be for several reasons. Some mom's just don't respond to pumps well, sometimes a mother needs a different type of pump - most every moms responds well to a medical grade pump. A double electric works well for a lot of moms. Some moms can do well with a manual pump but this is usually the hardest way to pump. Hand expressing is an art and can yield great results but takes some practice.
    Also there are different types of shields, you could possibly need larger or smaller ones. Most moms find that they need to relax, be warm, and think good thoughts to get a letdown.
    Having your baby nurse one side and pump the other can also stimulate a good letdown!
    That tingly feeling is a letdown most likely! SO yes pumping would be good then!

I pump about every 4-5 hours and sometimes I get the feeling about an hour or two after pumping. What is it? What should I do when I get it? When I pump I get about 6-7 oz total, about 30 oz a day although yesterday I got 35. And how do I get the giant waterfall letdown????????????
    You will want to pump as often as your baby would nurse, which if you were only pumping would be at least every two hours!! This is why nursing is a little easier than pumping.
    I would definitely get your baby to the breast (if you can?) instead of pumping, or pump a lot more often. It may seem like you have a lot of milk now but by leaving the milk in there your telling your body that your making TOO much milk and to slow it down. Eventually your body will get the message and your supply will go way down.

Do you have an LLL Leader or a Board Certified Lactation Consultant to talk to in your area? They are very knowledgeable about nursing and can give you lots of tips and info! If your baby is not able to nurse at the breast, they can also help you get him back to nursing
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

Also here are a couple of great resources for you!

Nursing your newborn — what to expect in the early weeks

How does milk production work?

Also I wanted to explain the let down reflex. It's not entirely understood, but when baby nurses that the breast he usually starts with quick sucking. This stimulates the milk ejection reflex (letdown) and makes the milk FLOW! This happens several times over the course of a nursing session. Baby will suck and then pause (to drink) and then suck suck long pause to drink.
    Some moms can feel this (which sounds what your describing) some moms say it feels tingly, pins and needles, a feeling of fullness, or achy in one breast or both breasts. It's also perfectly normal to NOT feel this.
    So after a letdown baby gets that rich hind milk (which is the drip drip into your pump) and that's great milk to get. Some babies with a bottle preference can get really frustrated at this point because the milk slows way down, they are used to the constant flow.
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

When he does bf, he definately sucks and pauses and sucks. I can also hear him swallow.

I am using a PIS and I pump both breasts for a minimum of 15 minutes, but usually 20-30 minutes total. I end up massaging and pumping one breast at time after 15-20 minutes just to make sure that the "flow" has slowed. Not that there was an huge abundance of flow to begin with. I had this same problem in using the hospital Ameda pump, but I was just getting started then.

He is only on breast milk. The ped told me today that since he was eating so much more than a typical 13 day old and because he is gaining the right amount of weight, that it was okay if he went long between eating. When he is on the breast, he will be there a while, but he falls asleep. I should note that we have this same problem when he eats from a bottle too. I am wondering if it is because he was born at 37 weeks. My husband thinks that because he is close to my skin, he falls asleep easier. When he is on the bottle, we try to keep him cooler, but eventually he will still fall asleep. Last night (actually at 0400) he bf for about 20 minutes (suck pause etc) until he was completely asleep and fell off the boob. When I change him afterwards, he wakes up again. Maybe I should try to bf again at that time? What if he doesn't want to eat but is still awake? Is that okay? I forgot to mention, I have to use a nipple shield (the hospital NICU gave it to me) to bf. I have flat nipples, or at least too flat to bf easily.

I pumped in a different place an hour ago, and I just bought a bigger shield today. It seems to help. Every time I pumped before my nipples were going to kill me, which makes it much harder to relax.

i use the PIS also. it was recommended because i had latch on difficulty from one flat and one inverted. from pumping i now have two useful nipples and no longer use a shield when breastfeeding. sounds like you are doing great!

When he does bf, he definately sucks and pauses and sucks. I can also hear him swallow.
    That's great, he's definitely getting milk!

I am using a PIS and I pump both breasts for a minimum of 15 minutes, but usually 20-30 minutes total. I end up massaging and pumping one breast at time after 15-20 minutes just to make sure that the "flow" has slowed. Not that there was an huge abundance of flow to begin with. I had this same problem in using the hospital Ameda pump, but I was just getting started then.
    You might try adjusting the settings a little bit, but in the beginning sometimes it's hard to get a great big letdown. Have you ever tried to hand express? Some moms have luck with that. Does your breast feel softer after you've pumped?

He is only on breast milk. The ped told me today that since he was eating so much more than a typical 13 day old and because he is gaining the right amount of weight, that it was okay if he went long between eating.
    Does your baby concur? Is he only seeming interested to eat every three to four hours? A good way to tell if he's getting enough is to count diapers. He should be having 5-6 wet and 3-4 bowel movements. And it sounds like he's gaining weight well, that's a great sign too!

When he is on the breast, he will be there a while, but he falls asleep. I should note that we have this same problem when he eats from a bottle too. I am wondering if it is because he was born at 37 weeks.
    This is pretty common for a new born, especially a little one born early. If he's getting enough to eat before he falls asleep (which it sounds like he is) then you can call it done! If he were low on diapers, or not gaining weight well then you'd want to make sure and wake him often to eat.

When I change him afterwards, he wakes up again. Maybe I should try to bf again at that time? What if he doesn't want to eat but is still awake? Is that okay?
    If you can get him to nurse that's great, it will usually help them go back to sleep. If he doesn't go back to sleep, keep the lights low, speak softly and just hang out with him. Make night time boring and unparty like It's very normal for him to still wake at all hours and be up. This will get better!!

I forgot to mention, I have to use a nipple shield (the hospital NICU gave it to me) to bf. I have flat nipples, or at least too flat to bf easily.
    Here are a couple of resources on nipple shields, once your baby is a little older he should not have a problem drawing out your nipple to nurse.
    http://www.llli.org/FAQ/flat.html
    (non LLL resource) http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...an-shield.html

I pumped in a different place an hour ago, and I just bought a bigger shield today. It seems to help. Every time I pumped before my nipples were going to kill me, which makes it much harder to relax.
    That's great, a shield that fits can make a world of difference!
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Thanks for all the responses!

As for hand expressing, I would have to be in a hot shower for a while before I can ever get anything out by hand. But actually it is getting better and once I got some milk out by hand, but it definately is not easy!

In regards to diapers, it seems that eating equates to bowel movements for him. He always goes while he is eating. It's weird!

He is hungry every 3-5 hours, usually around 4 though. So he eats like 5-6 times a day, and I try to pump 5 times a day. I have been keeping ahead of what he eats. Right now he eats 4 oz and I can usually pump between 6-8 oz at a time.

I guess that I am terrified that my milk will dry up, although I know that formula won't kill my child! I mean, my first boy was on formula because the lactation nurse was evil incarnate, and I had NO idea about anything regarding breastfeeding.

Thanks again for the support!