Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 2 questions regarding latch and length

Question 2 questions regarding latch and length

I nursed my first child for over a year and thought I knew everything about breastfeeding, and then my second child comes along.....

Anyway, two questions:

1) When my daughter (16 days old) latches on there is some pain but that goes away as the nursing session goes on. Does that mean her initial latch is wrong but corrects itself, or is it just normal nipple pain from the beginning weeks of breastfeeding?? (Sometimes there is a clicking noise while she nurses which I know can mean a bad latch....)

2) She only nurses for about 5-8 minutes at a time. I'll sit her up, burp her offer her the same breast and then the other one too if she isn't interested but she rarely, if ever, will nurse anymore. Then she'll want to nurse again in about 90 minutes. Is there anything I can do to try to get her to nurse longer to make her go longer between feedings, or is she just a quick and frequent nurser??

Thanks in advance for any help!!
    First time Mommy to Alexander - Born Jan 15, 2006

Default Re: 2 questions regarding latch and length

I nursed my first child for over a year and thought I knew everything about breastfeeding, and then my second child comes along.....
    Most mother's notice a difference in nurslings! Things might be really different this time around!

1) When my daughter (16 days old) latches on there is some pain but that goes away as the nursing session goes on. Does that mean her initial latch is wrong but corrects itself, or is it just normal nipple pain from the beginning weeks of breastfeeding?? (Sometimes there is a clicking noise while she nurses which I know can mean a bad latch....)
    A soreness at the beginning of her nursing is normal, but if it's PAIN, then that's not normal. Your right that the clicking sound is often a problem with latch, often the baby does not have a good seal on the breast. This is a great (non LLL) resource with more info about it and what you can do. Do you have an LLL meeting in your area? You can also go and have a Leader give you some help in person.

2) She only nurses for about 5-8 minutes at a time. I'll sit her up, burp her offer her the same breast and then the other one too if she isn't interested but she rarely, if ever, will nurse anymore. Then she'll want to nurse again in about 90 minutes. Is there anything I can do to try to get her to nurse longer to make her go longer between feedings, or is she just a quick and frequent nurser??
    Totally normal, you might find that this is just how she eats! It will eventually space out, and she will probably become even more efficient at the breast. This little anything goes with frequency, and nursing more now will mean plenty of milk later. That's a great thing!

It sounds like you guys are doing great!!
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!