Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Reverse Cycling?

Default Reverse Cycling?

so I have to go back to work next week and am wondering if there is a way to encourage my LO to nurse more frequently when i am home, so she doesn't want to nurse as often when i am away? i think maybe this might be called reverse cycling? i am not sure. i am an RN and work nights 3 days a week. her daddy will be home with her when i am not so that is a little consoling...but not much
    Proud mommy to:
    Charlotte Ruth born 5/6/2008

"Do what you think is best; wait until you have weaned him. Only, may the Lord bring your resolve to fulfillment!" And so she remained at home and nursed her son until she had weaned him. 1 Samuel 1:23

"I prayed for this child, and the Lord granted my request. Now I, in turn, give him to the Lord; as long as he lives, he shall be dedicated to the Lord." 1 Samuel 1:27-28

15 months and counting!

Default Re: Reverse Cycling?

Aw mama this is really tough for you.

Here is some information that might help you. Your correct the term is reverse cycling. Some babies will do this on their own with no prompting. There are some ways that you can encourage it.

http://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/LV/LVOctNov01p101.html

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/reverse-cycling.html

It will probably take some time to make the adjustments, and they will be easier to see when you guys get a good rhythm going. You might give it a week or two to see how she does, and then if needed start to change things around.
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

It's always tough to go back! I have to return to work next week too.

When I went back to work the first time (I'm a teacher), my LO reverse cycled all by herself. Over the summer, I did nothing to discourage the behavior (even though I am tired!). Do you co-sleep? I think this encouraged her to nurse more when I was around, since I was always around!

Good luck with everything!
    EDD 6/21/10
    BF Madeline Grace since 2/5/2008
    Blake 9/23/00
    Cole 7/16/03
    Alex 9/19/04

yes we do co sleep (and i love it!) and that is going to be the only thing keeping me going when i am away. Thanks to this forum too! i would not have had the guts to actually start cosleeping (even though it is the most natural thing a mother can do with her baby besides breastfeed!) if it wasn't for the awesome encouragement i found on this forum! You ladies are incredible! No one told me when i was pregnant that leaving my LO at home to go to work would be the hardest thing i would ever half to do in my life! thanks for the tips!
    Proud mommy to:
    Charlotte Ruth born 5/6/2008

"Do what you think is best; wait until you have weaned him. Only, may the Lord bring your resolve to fulfillment!" And so she remained at home and nursed her son until she had weaned him. 1 Samuel 1:23

"I prayed for this child, and the Lord granted my request. Now I, in turn, give him to the Lord; as long as he lives, he shall be dedicated to the Lord." 1 Samuel 1:27-28

15 months and counting!

It's so heartbreaking to go back to work, but as odd as it sounds, pumping made it just a little easier. It made me feel more connected to my LO, and in a sense even though I wasn't there, I was still "taking care of her". Plus, I was able to think about only her 4 times a day!

I hope all goes well for you!
    EDD 6/21/10
    BF Madeline Grace since 2/5/2008
    Blake 9/23/00
    Cole 7/16/03
    Alex 9/19/04