Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Painkillers and Nursing

Default Painkillers and Nursing

This morning I went to the emergency room only to find out that I have kidney stones...OUCH! My problem is that they gave me painkillers...Dilauid. They also sent me home with a prescription for Percocet. The ER doctor told me that I would have to pump and dump for a couple of days. So far I haven't taken any Percocet...and had two doses of the Dilauid. I don't think I have enough milk stored to give him frozen for the next two days so I'm going to have to give him formula...which he's never had. Does anyone have any advice or experience with this? How long do I have to wait after painkillers to nurse again. It kills me to pump and dump!! I called my pedi and am waiting for him to call back but I figured I would check in here as well. Thanks for any advice. (My LO is 6 months old.)

Default Re: Painkillers and Nursing

There are a couple of sites I go to when I need info about medications--Dr. Hale's site had this (and maybe more; this was the first post I saw) about Percocet for kidney stones--scroll down a bit to find it.

http://66.230.33.248/discus/messages...tml?1212760029

You can also go to www.kellymom.com and look under the "Is this ok while breastfeeding?"(or something like that lol) section. I'll post if I find anything else. Hope you feel better!

I went to kellymom and found this:

http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/pain-meds.html

I hope it helps! It looks like the Vicodin is not recommended, if I read it right.
    Last edited by @llli*mumtothomas; July 25th, 2008 at 02:33 PM.

Great resources given above, you can also call a local leader and they should be able to give you the information from Dr Hales book.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

I have never had Dilaudid, but I was on both Percocet and Vicodin in the hospital after having my son and all dr.'s as well as lactation said that it was ok

I had my lac. consultant check the Hale book as well and both Percocet and Vicodin were listed as ok for use while breastfeeding.

And I feel you with the kidney stones! I had the after pregnancy too!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Oops -- I just realized that I didn't post Dr. Hale's address -- sorry

http://neonatal.ttuhsc.edu/lact/