Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I get LO to drink milk in a sippy cup, not a bottle?

Default How do I get LO to drink milk in a sippy cup, not a bottle?

I wasn't sure where to post this, so I thought I'd try here...

Hi! My LO is 15 1/2 mo. I EP and use formula/cow's milk supplements (we're VERY slowly replacing the formula with cow's milk since doesn't like cows milk all that much!) and I really need some help from you LLLadies. Here's my big issue, I'm not looking to wean, but am having a heck of a time getting LO to drink milk (any milk be it bm, formula or cows milk or any and all combined) from a sippy cup! He just much prefers his bottle! His teeth look good, no problems there. I'm just wondering if anyone has any good info out there about bottle feeding past a year. When I bottle feed I try to make it as much like breastfeeding as possible. So in many ways I think it is a comfort issue for him. Right now he has a bottle before nap, a bottle before bed and usually another bottle at some point during the day. I don't want to do anything that might be unhealthy for him, but right now I've been working on eliminating the formula because I feel that's the bigger priority. Any thoughts or suggestions on getting him to drink milk from a sippy cup. Would it be so bad if I just let it be for a while and let him have his bottle? TIA

Default Re: How do I get LO to drink milk in a sippy cup, not a bottle?

Maybe - I just thought of this - you could go back to a slow flow nipple and get a sippy and take the stopper out for the time being (for use in highchair or whatever)

Get him to start thinking that bottle isn't worth the effort ?!?!?!
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Actually we've been using the slow flow nipple this whole time. He seemed fine with it and I figured it was probably better because it helped him eat slowly so he knew when he was really full as opposed to chug a lugging a bottle.

Taking out the stopper on the sippy . . . hmmmm I'm going to give that a try! Thanks!

Crap I thought that was a brilliant idea!

Well.... yeah - do try the stopper thing with the sippy... some kids just prefer it that way.

Regarding the bottle. can you just wean him off it slowly, as you would weaning from the breast... so maybe take that occasional one out of the day time and then maybe the one from nap next??
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*number3 View Post
    Crap I thought that was a brilliant idea!
    It was brilliant! Hey if I had thought about it I wouldn't be posting!

Regarding the bottle. can you just wean him off it slowly, as you would weaning from the breast... so maybe take that occasional one out of the day time and then maybe the one from nap next??
    I could try, my only concern is he's not going for the sippy. I'm just worried he won't get enough milk in him. My Mom has told me several times that if I drop bottles he will make up for it and he won't starve. Any advice experienced mamas? I guess it's a leap of faith. I guess maybe it's me too. If he won't drink milk (including bm) and gets dairy from "other" sources than I guess I'm done pumping. It makes me sad.

Have you tried a straw sippy cup?
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

This might not come out correctly but I'll give it a try and hope that you will understand how I mean to say it. I once watched a little girl about 14 months old. The mom told me that she was having a hard time getting her off the bottle. I kept the girl for a few hours a day and for only three days. The mom packed a load of stuff in the baby bag. Just in case. I Had a son just a few months behind this baby girl. This was my first child and he was already off a bottle, with no problem so I wasn't aware of moms having this kind of issue. I gave the girl snacks and then it was lunch time. At lunch time I gave her a sippy cup. The girl was having a great time playing at my house and finally it was nap time. I didn't even offer the bottle. She didn't ask for it. It was just like it never existed. It was a really smooth transition, not a tear! The mom came to pick her up after the first day and she was amazed. So what I am trying to say is.... You might not be able to get your LO to transition, especially if your a SAHM. Your LO acts differently for different people. They know what to expect from us and they know our strings I'm sure you already know that tho anyhow, good luck in this time of growning up
    "The biggest mistake a man can make, is to have the fear of making one" Unknown

Being "just" a mom is the most powerful thing I could ever do, and it makes me the happiest person I could be.

Josh 9/02
    Ben 7/04
    Lily Shes Walking 10/07

232*230****225****220****215****210****205****200* ***195****190********180

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*green.momma View Post
    Have you tried a straw sippy cup?
    You know, I thought about it. LO loves straws, but not to drink, he just likes to play with them! So I didn't pursue the straw sippy cup because I thought he would break it trying to get the straw out! I've tried doing a regular cup with a straw and he just tries to play with the straw rather than drink. Maybe I'll give that a try anyway, though.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lilybug View Post
    This might not come out correctly but I'll give it a try and hope that you will understand how I mean to say it. I once watched a little girl about 14 months old. The mom told me that she was having a hard time getting her off the bottle. I kept the girl for a few hours a day and for only three days. The mom packed a load of stuff in the baby bag. Just in case. I Had a son just a few months behind this baby girl. This was my first child and he was already off a bottle, with no problem so I wasn't aware of moms having this kind of issue. I gave the girl snacks and then it was lunch time. At lunch time I gave her a sippy cup. The girl was having a great time playing at my house and finally it was nap time. I didn't even offer the bottle. She didn't ask for it. It was just like it never existed. It was a really smooth transition, not a tear! The mom came to pick her up after the first day and she was amazed. So what I am trying to say is.... You might not be able to get your LO to transition, especially if your a SAHM. Your LO acts differently for different people. They know what to expect from us and they know our strings I'm sure you already know that tho anyhow, good luck in this time of growning up
    I do know what you mean and yes I'm a SAHM. The longest I've been away from him at this point is 4 hours! He definitely knows what buttons to push! My DH was potty trained by his Gran because his parents were having trouble doing it. Unfortunately, I don't have that kind of help. My parents, although I love them, have made it clear that they don't want to babysit. My MIL that I love is handicapped and I know she would do it if she could but she can't. FIL usually is there to help MIL, but FIL has very busy job and can't easily take off of work. I'll have to think on that and see if there's anyone else.

Try the cups with the silicone straws- my lo likes the Munchkin ones from Target- just make sure they don't have one of those slow valves built in to frustrate them. She also takes regular straw out of cups to play with them, bite them, try to drink from them, but never tries to pull the silicone straws out- i guess they can tell the difference. good luck!
    since 10/10/07
    and still going...

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jadesmama View Post
    Try the cups with the silicone straws- my lo likes the Munchkin ones from Target- just make sure they don't have one of those slow valves built in to frustrate them. She also takes regular straw out of cups to play with them, bite them, try to drink from them, but never tries to pull the silicone straws out- i guess they can tell the difference. good luck!
    Oh thank you for the advice! I think I'll pick a few up while I'm out shopping today! THANKS!!!