Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: scared to try chunks - how do you know?

Default scared to try chunks - how do you know?

How do you know when they're ready to move on to foods that have lumps and chunks? LO is 8 mos and so far has only had pureed foods which he does fine with. Sometimes I do make his organic rice cereal a little thicker so it is almost a tiny bit lumpy, but still does not really have to be chewed.

Today I decided to try mashed up banana and it was pretty mashed but had some larger lumps, about the size of a small pea, mixed in with the liquidy mashed stuff. Well, LO didn't seem to realize that chewing was an option when this was in his mouth and seemed to struggle a little with swallowing it! Now I am scared to try this again!

At some point you just have to try the lumpier stuff and see what happens, right? They won't know chewing food is an option until they have food in there that needs chewing, it seems. But it's scary! Is there another food that would be better to try next? I wanted to do small pieces of chicken but for some reason he just doesn't seem ready.
    Last edited by @llli*lovebeingmommy; July 25th, 2008 at 01:53 PM.

Default Re: scared to try chunks - how do you know?

Reasonable feelings you're having

See this link and this one for some good info/tips!

And get child/infant CPR certified
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Have you tried giving him pieces ("french fries" cut) of ripe banana or avocado and let him feed himself? Maybe this will be interesting enough for him to try? Maybe he is confused that all of the sudden teh chunkier food is on the spoon?
    Last edited by @llli*melanija; July 27th, 2008 at 05:06 AM.
    Tandeming mom to 2 years old DS and DD born on 15/12/2007

agreed...i would not feed chunkier off a spoon....i first tried chunks of avacado, then banana on her tray so she could pick them up herself...when she gagged, she wasn't ready. I waited a week or so and tried again - she was ready (about the age of your LO). i don't do french fry strips - DD will shove the whole thing in. i cut in f.f. strips and then cut that into small chunks. be prepared...DD won't eat anything off a spoon anymore, she HAS to feed herself
    • First time mommy to Alyssa Nicole 7 lbs. 19 3/4 in. born 10/17/07 via c-section.

finally off the since 10/24/08

We made it, 12 months!!!!!!!!

Donated 500 oz. so far, and counting...

2 weeks - 7 lbs 6 oz.
    2 months - 10 lbs.
    4 months - 12 lbs. 3 oz.
    6 months - 14 lbs. 1 oz.
    9 months - 16 lbs. 7 oz.
    12 months - 18 lbs. 10 oz.

thanks all... I think he probably just isn't ready... in order for him to be able to pick up banana chunks they would have to be pretty large (like larger than a small gumball) and it would make me really nervous to have that in his mouth at this point. Also, the thought of french fry shaped strips really scares me too - he might put too much in and then not know what to do. I think I will just wait a little while. I tried really teeny pieces of banana and by the time I got them that small they were so slimy he couldn't even pick them up by himself. I don't even know if he has his pincer grasp yet - I don't think he does.

DD perfected hers when she was picking up the chunks...at first she would get it in her fist and then squish it out into her mouth. sometimes, with chicken particularly, she doesn't get a lot in her mouth - it's more for the experience at this point anyways....more and more she would get it in her mouth and now she hardly misses - as evidenced by the lack of mess on the chair and floor as well as the poop

i was thinking, it was the gerber puffs she first could pick up and gum, then i moved to bananas and avacado.
    • First time mommy to Alyssa Nicole 7 lbs. 19 3/4 in. born 10/17/07 via c-section.

finally off the since 10/24/08

We made it, 12 months!!!!!!!!

Donated 500 oz. so far, and counting...

2 weeks - 7 lbs 6 oz.
    2 months - 10 lbs.
    4 months - 12 lbs. 3 oz.
    6 months - 14 lbs. 1 oz.
    9 months - 16 lbs. 7 oz.
    12 months - 18 lbs. 10 oz.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lovebeingmommy View Post
    thanks all... I think he probably just isn't ready... in order for him to be able to pick up banana chunks they would have to be pretty large (like larger than a small gumball) and it would make me really nervous to have that in his mouth at this point. Also, the thought of french fry shaped strips really scares me too - he might put too much in and then not know what to do. I think I will just wait a little while. I tried really teeny pieces of banana and by the time I got them that small they were so slimy he couldn't even pick them up by himself. I don't even know if he has his pincer grasp yet - I don't think he does.
    DD is 8mo and doesnt really have pincer grasp. I have seen her do it, but generally she can only hold things with her fist. When we give her a banana we generally give her half a banana and she just bites chunks off. Last night we gave her 3/4 inch by 2 inch chunks of chicken and whole cooked baby carrots. I worry more about holding her back with my fears than having her advance too fast. At every stage she has been way readier than we were. And yes the first time we gave her chunks she gagged and it was frightening.

The other day she gagged on on the baby carrot. I believe it was the first time we had given her a whole carrot as we mostly are doing purees

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lovebeingmommy View Post
    FWIW bananas have a natural separations point in the center by which they can be separated into 3 peices... If you take one, cut it in half and then put a bit of pressure on it like you're gonna squeeze the center, it will separate. THose portions are perfect (if they're ready for solids) to manipulate.
    If he doesnt have a pincer grasp he's not ready for solids anyhow... (according to the standards here )

Get yourself to an infant/child cpr course and you won't have to worry any longer.

The class may take one one day of your life, but you learn how to save one
    Last edited by @llli*number3; July 28th, 2008 at 02:49 AM.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Thank you all for your input. We have done a lot of reading of various books and websites in deciding when to start LO on solids. Also have talked with baby's ped whom we trust. It is not universally recommended to hold off on solids until baby has a pincer grasp. In fact Dr. Sears and the Amer Academy of Pediatrics (among others) recommendations do not mention anything about a pincer grasp being necessary before attempting solids. We all know our babies best and as long as they're at least six months old and developing normally up to that point it seems to be a general consensus that it's okay to try solids.

To say that my LO, who is 8 months, is not ready for solids just because he doesn't quite have a pincer grasp when he does have every single other sign and LOVES his purees which are not forced on him is a little bit off I think. That may be true for people doing 100% BLS but not for the majority of people who start with some sort of spoon-feeding. Both of those methods of introducing solids have their benefits AND drawbacks and it is up to the parent to decide which way works for their family.

We have talked to several parents and read a lot about how there can be a lot of problems with children refusing solids and having a lot of trouble introducing solids when they are started too slowly or much after 6-8 months. If one wants to wean somewhere around 18 mos-2yrs and has a child who takes in little solids or is overly picky and may or may not drink well from a cup, to me that can be a big problem nutritionally.

I like the idea of BLS but IMO it's never really 100% baby-led as the parent still has to provide the food for the LO and decide when to make it available for them to have access to it. Also I see nothing wrong with the parent leading the child in what they feel are good eating habits at certain times and ages, in order to develop good nutrition and future habits based on available recommendations.

I would never force food on my LO and a lot of people seem to equate purees with forced feeding. I for one have never ever forced any food into my LO!
    Last edited by @llli*lovebeingmommy; July 28th, 2008 at 09:25 AM.

You're right - we all choose what's best for our kids/family!!!! - but pureed first foods or not or not I emplor every parent to get CPR certified

*stepping off my soap box*

ETA this resource regarding the "solids window" being a myth.
    Last edited by @llli*number3; July 28th, 2008 at 11:00 AM.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Emerson