Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Color of baby's stools - 3 months

Default Color of baby's stools - 3 months

I have a baby boy three months old and two weeks ago his consistent mustard seed stools changed to green. Everything I've read goes from one end to the other - don't worry; virus; too much iron; something I ate; peditrician says change my diet -- which is it? I have not eaten anything new that I haven't already been eating; baby is 14# (7# 11 ounces at birth) so weight gain not an issue; and he is happy and content with no temperature.
    Advice? Thank you in advance!

Default Re: Color of baby's stools - 3 months

Has it been consistantly green for that time period?
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

well..i have no scentific advice! but my daughter is almost 3 months old and her stools have also changed to a greenish color. still seedy but no longer mustard yellow. she is healthy, happy, and acting just like her lovable self so i am just chalking it up to one of those "things"! I figure if its not broke why try and fix it!
    Proud mommy to:
    Charlotte Ruth born 5/6/2008

"Do what you think is best; wait until you have weaned him. Only, may the Lord bring your resolve to fulfillment!" And so she remained at home and nursed her son until she had weaned him. 1 Samuel 1:23

"I prayed for this child, and the Lord granted my request. Now I, in turn, give him to the Lord; as long as he lives, he shall be dedicated to the Lord." 1 Samuel 1:27-28

15 months and counting!

Thanks for letting me know! I was under the impression the mustard yellow was for the duration of breastfeeding, maybe not...

Yes, consistently green - at times a dark green but mostly a sage light green with yellow mustard seed a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*scribblescribble View Post
    Yes, consistently green - at times a dark green but mostly a sage light green with yellow mustard seed a bit.
    Wow, they sound beautiful.

I like this link about poop: http://www.drjaygordon.com/developme...ricks/poop.asp

If it was ocassionally it might not be something to put much more thought into.. and if he's growing well you may not even still. BUT often, with prolonged green poo's there might be an issue of an imbalance with the foremilk and hindmilk and/or Oversupply/OALD...
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Dealing with the same thing here. With my first, we'd have occasional green stools sometimes even for a day or so, but we're in day (lemme count) 7 of green stools right now.
    we're already block feeding, so I don't think it is foremilk / hindmilk related . . .
    I'll let you know if I figure anything out . . .
    Katherine
    My boys (both hypnobirths!):
    N 12/24/05 - birth center baby; nursed until Dec. 2007
    G 3/21/08 - we had a wonderful homebirth!!! - still nursing

Go Dr. Jay - whew! He covered it all! This put my mind at ease a bit...Need to go back and analyze the next diaper! Frothy or watery.... THANK YOU!

Thank you Katherine....I am in day 14 with these stools and walked next door to my lactation consultant (convenient) : ) today and she thinks it is the foremilk/hindmilk....so I am trying all angles. Read Dr. Jay link that mamagoesmoo provided in this forum - that was interesting but still not sure if frothy or watery or a mix of both or what it all means....at this point I am giong to cut out all dairy ie my three yogurts a day...and make sure I am fully draining one breast at a time...also per Dr Jay's comment I wonder if my little one is teething but didn't think that would happen at 3 months - looking that up now.
    Good Luck and let me know if you can shed any more light on this topic with your resources - Thanks.