Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: teeth- help

Exclamation teeth- help

around the time of my last LLL meeting i noticed DD kept pulling my nipple out and biting down sorta.. well my leader said its one sign of possible teething. DD hadnt been acting fussy or slobbering lately. So i took it as just teething ahead of time. Well i noticed when shes nursing in the last week or so it feels like shes rubbing the bottom of my breast and at first i thought it was her nails but then put my finger in her mouth this morning because she likes to suck on my finger (shes weird, lol) and found her bottom tooth is pokin through, not all the way though. So i called my leader and she said thats the rubbing and pulling and thats why. BUT she didnt really offer help as to what to do for the hurting. Sometimes it really hurts! Does it get better the more teeth they get?

Mommy to:
    Nathaniel 2/28/05
    Boy/Girl Twins: Raymond 17w4d & Candice 5/22/06
    Lana 12/22/07

Missing Wylder 9w5d
    TTCAL for another nursling!

Default Re: teeth- help

You can try relatching when it hurts. And, yes, after they get used to their new teeth, it does get better. They might still bother you at times, but it shouldn't be all the time.
    DS 1/2006 9 lb. 2 oz. 22 in.
    DD 10/2008 8 lb, 2 oz. 20 in.

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

Ouch! I'm sorry, momma!!!
    This FAQ really helped me: http://www.llli.org/FAQ/teeth.html
    especially this part:
    It is important to understand that when a baby is latched on to the breast correctly, his lips are flanged and his gums land far back on the areola (the dark area around the nipple). His bottom teeth are covered by his tongue and do not come in contact with the mother's areola at all. For this reason, a baby who is latched on correctly and actively nursing cannot bite. However, if a baby is latched onto the nipple only, the baby can clamp down and cause pain to the mother's nipple. Good positioning and latch-on techniques can prevent painful bites.

And this FAQ on biting has saved my life: http://www.llli.org/FAQ/bite.html
    This part may be very helpful to you:
    # When your baby is latched on correctly and nursing actively, getting milk from your breast and swallowing, it's physically impossible to bite. This is because your baby needs to stop sucking in order to bite. When latched on properly and nursing, your nipple is far back in your baby's mouth. In order to bite your baby has to adjust his tongue and allow your nipple to slide forward towards his teeth. So, as a first "hint" of when your baby is about to bite, try and watch for a moment--usually after the initial hunger has been satisfied--when your nipple slips forward in your baby's mouth. Often the tension in your baby's jaw will change just before this happens.
    # As soon as you notice this change, slip your finger into the corner of your baby's mouth, between his teeth, and let the nipple come out all the while keeping your finger in your baby's mouth to protect your nipple. Pulling your baby straight off is a very natural and almost automatic response, but it may cause soreness on your nipple.
    # Baby's position is important, and that means helping your baby stay in a close breastfeeding position, so that he doesn't or can't pull off very easily. If your baby has to strain to latch on, then he will come off and chew the nipple easily. Therefore, another response to biting that some mothers have found useful is to pull baby in closer to the breast, at least momentarily. If your baby begins to position himself away from your nipple, be alert for a possible bite.

I'd also add to watch for her to be finished or not actively nursing, as that's when ds would try to get away with biting me.
    Good luck momma!!!
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!

i have her latched good but since shes teething she still pulls away from time to time. luckily she hasnt caused any damage, which my leader told me thats a sign of her not being latched on right.

i wonder if lanolin would help since im a little sensitive?
    Mommy to:
    Nathaniel 2/28/05
    Lana 12/22/07

Missing Wylder 9w5d

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

I basically had to wrestle with ds when he was doing what you described. My easy fix? Hold him in closer and not give him room to push back.
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!

well i tried the football hold and it made it worse.. so im sticking with the other holds. I did get some oragel and she made the funniest face. which she nursed fine after i put the oragel on. I have only done it once because i dont know if its ok for her to use oragel and nurse right after???
    Mommy to:
    Nathaniel 2/28/05
    Lana 12/22/07

Missing Wylder 9w5d

actually i looked today and shes getting the bottom next to it too!!

Mommy to:
    Nathaniel 2/28/05
    Lana 12/22/07

Missing Wylder 9w5d

It does get better and I am sorry that you are hurting. My LO has a mouth full at 14 months, all but her 2 yr molars. I noticed that I was more sore when a new tooth was about to break thru and right after. Remember those teeth are rough and sharp to cut thru the gums but they do smooth out. I used orjel (? spelling) on me right before nursing since it is safe for baby too. Offer her a cold (not frozen- could hurt her) teething ring before you nurse if you can to see if that helps her. She is chewing on you to help relieve some discomfort she is feeling.
    wife , mom, maid , cook , taxi. All in a days work

yup its ok to take what ever your doctor says is ok for pain if you get dried and cracked.

You might try giving her a cold wash cloth to teeth on before you nurse.