Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: When can I stop pumping at work?

Question When can I stop pumping at work?

I have beautiful 13 month old girl. I have been pumping at work scince she was 6 months old. At first she would eat 12-15 ounces at daycare but now she is down to about 5 ounces.
    I am very tired of pumping, but I am not ready stop breast feeding her.
    My question is can I stop pumping and still continue breast feeding. If I can what should I send with her to daycare? Should I send cow milk?

Thank you!
    Last edited by @llli*bwfc41; July 25th, 2008 at 09:51 AM.

Default Re: When can I stop pumping at work?

Yes you can stop pumping and continue to nurse while you are together! To do this you'll want to slowly wean yourself from pumping during the day. Many mothers only nurse while together well into toddlerhood.
    You could start by just pumping a little less at each session or one session. So instead of pumping for 15 minutes pump for 10. Or instead of pumping 3 oz only pump 2. You can also adjust and space out the sessions.
    The important this is to just take it slow and listen to your body!

What you send with her is totally up to you, how is she doing with solids? Will she drink water? If you are ok with introducing cows milk she could take that too.
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

I have a follow up quesiton to the pp.... What about on the weekends? If I stop pumping during the day at work, but want to nurse during the day on the weekends, will that be possible?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*johnmichael View Post
    I have a follow up quesiton to the pp.... What about on the weekends? If I stop pumping during the day at work, but want to nurse during the day on the weekends, will that be possible?
    Yes definitely, this is what most moms do. This is of course assuming that you have an older baby! Sometimes at first mom's find that Monday they might need to express a little bit for a few weeks, but that in time your supply will slow down to just what your baby is asking for.
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

I stopped pumping at work right around 12 mos. I never had any problems with my supply in the evenings or on weekends. Goodness knows how my boobs knew when it was saturday, but somehow they did.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Absolutely you can stop pumping and continue breastfeeding. I stopped pumping at around 10 months, due to not being able to let down with the pump anymore. It did not affect our nursing relationship at all--on weekends, nights, etc. he nursed whenever he wanted for however long he wanted, and never had a problem. It's amazing how your body will know what to do! (He's now 16 months old and still nursing. )

I had this same question, though my LO is only 2.5 mos. I currently get 10-15 oz. while at work, but she is only taking 6-8 oz from a bottle so I am gaining the surplus in the freezer.
    How soon could I stop pumping at work? I just want to be prepared as I'm interviewing for a new job and might not have the flexibility I do at my current job.
    Married my sweetheart 5/13/06
    and babygail makes three 5/29/08
    7 lb 2 oz born at 36 1/7 weeks,
    2 mos: 11 lb 12 oz
    returned to work 7/29/08

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    I stopped pumping at work right around 12 mos. I never had any problems with my supply in the evenings or on weekends. Goodness knows how my boobs knew when it was saturday, but somehow they did.
    : Same exact situation here. I experienced no problems with nursing evenings and weekends. Yes, boobs just have a way of knowing it's the weekend .
    Loving mama to S - 11/06, and F - 1/09

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*babygailsmom View Post
    I had this same question, though my LO is only 2.5 mos. I currently get 10-15 oz. while at work, but she is only taking 6-8 oz from a bottle so I am gaining the surplus in the freezer.
    How soon could I stop pumping at work? I just want to be prepared as I'm interviewing for a new job and might not have the flexibility I do at my current job.
    Since your baby is so young, the answer to your question depends on how long you're going to be away from your baby while at work? whether or not you want to introduce formula instead of pumping? and If you're only going to be gone at work for a short time, whether or not you can pump enough at other times of the day to have bm for baby when you're at work away from her? One other possible partial solution would be if you were able to leave work to breastfeed your baby on breaks or during your lunch hour.

Since your baby is so young, and if you want to exclusively breastfeed her, you'll need to find ways to pump milk for her for while you're away from her. It's all supply and demand, so there has to be milk removed inorder to cue your body to make more. You need to remove as much milk from your breasts as your baby needs to drink, iykwim.

Some moms can work out their schedules to pump in the morning b4 work or on the weekend or at night to add in extra pumping sessions and then maybe nurse baby directly during lunch too.

More info will help with better suggestions for you though.

On an aside, babies need the majority of their nutrition to come from breastmilk (or formula) for the first year, so it's likely that if you don't have a very short workday, that you'll need to find time to pump at sometime each day in order to keep your supply up so she gets enough bm.