Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me save my breast feeding relationship with my baby!

Default Help me save my breast feeding relationship with my baby!

I'm going back to work in a month and probably won't be able to pump. My lo will be 7 wks when I go back. Can our nursing relationship survive if I'm only nursing a.m., p.m. and night nursing? Anyone else do this? Will all those wonderful mommas out there share their stories and encouragement? Thanks!

Default Re: Help me save my breast feeding relationship with my baby!

how long will you be gone from baby daily?
    Lots of moms combo feed.
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/weaning/weaning-partial.html

Yes! You can do it! Your body makes milk as it is requested, so if your baby nurses in the morning, evening and during the night, then that is when your body will make milk. It is a very workable approach for a mother who cannot or chooses not to pump.

It is also possible that your baby will decide to reverse cycle, that is, nurse a lot when you're around and take little nutrition when you are at work.

Good luck to you both.
    Marianne
    LLL Leader

Thanks! My body adjusted very well to my first baby's schedule when I couldn't pump at work...but he was MUCH older (9 mo. vs. 7 wks.). I'd rather not combo feed if I can give her bm for at least 3-6 mo. Thanks for the encouragement!

just be careful b/c once I went back to work and DD found the joys of the bottle (EBM) she would not nurse anymore...
    • First time mommy to Alyssa Nicole 7 lbs. 19 3/4 in. born 10/17/07 via c-section.

finally off the since 10/24/08

We made it, 12 months!!!!!!!!

Donated 500 oz. so far, and counting...

2 weeks - 7 lbs 6 oz.
    2 months - 10 lbs.
    4 months - 12 lbs. 3 oz.
    6 months - 14 lbs. 1 oz.
    9 months - 16 lbs. 7 oz.
    12 months - 18 lbs. 10 oz.

I'm sorry to hear that your DD wouldn't nurse. That almost happened with my first. He would get very frustrated at the breast because the milk came out of the bottle faster. Fortunately, it was a "phase" for him. Good for you for continuing to pump and making it for 10 months!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*eelme.eelme1 View Post
    I'm going back to work in a month and probably won't be able to pump. My lo will be 7 wks when I go back. Can our nursing relationship survive if I'm only nursing a.m., p.m. and night nursing? Anyone else do this? Will all those wonderful mommas out there share their stories and encouragement? Thanks!
    I'm just curious, but why can't you pump?
    : breastfeeding mamma to our second daughter Gwendolyn Rose born 3/26/10 and to my 31 month old sweetie Alayna.

Not sure if you're still reading this thread but...

I can't pump because I work at a small private school as a teacher and we don't have regular breaks. It's a long story, but our school is small enough that there isn't anyone (or any money) to cover a classroom unless it's an emergency situation and/or personal day - and of course I can't leave my students (they are first graders) alone for any reason.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*eelme.eelme1 View Post
    Not sure if you're still reading this thread but...

I can't pump because I work at a small private school as a teacher and we don't have regular breaks. It's a long story, but our school is small enough that there isn't anyone (or any money) to cover a classroom unless it's an emergency situation and/or personal day - and of course I can't leave my students (they are first graders) alone for any reason.
    You don't even get a planning period? or what about lunch break? that is just frustrating... I'm frustrated for you!!
    : breastfeeding mamma to our second daughter Gwendolyn Rose born 3/26/10 and to my 31 month old sweetie Alayna.

Thanks...yeah it can be frustrating at times. It's hard because it's a private school and of course, I'm "choosing" to work there (I HAVE to work - but I suppose I could get a different teaching job). Anyway, I can't make too much of a fuss because we are private, not public. We do get a planning period, they are just at different times everyday depending on when the specials teacher takes the kids. We don't get a lunch break. That is definitely hard. Thanks for your support - teaching is not easy!