Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Gas... could it be Fenugreek? Exercise? Try Gripe water??

Default Gas... could it be Fenugreek? Exercise? Try Gripe water??

Hi ladies! My 5 week old son has generally been a 'normal' baby. He wakes every 2-3 hours in the night to feed. I was exclusively breastfeeding, but had problems with supply. I started supplementing 2 weeks ago. (I am still working with an LC and trying to get back to exclusively breastfeeding. We are trying everything). I really want to get back to exclusively breast feeding as it is VERY important to me.
    The last couple of nights my baby has been VERY gassy. He is passing LOTS of gas and wakes up screaming. I went out this morning and bought Colic-Ease Gripe Water and Mylicon drops. I haven't tried either (yet). I was looking for your opinions on either.
    Also, I wonder your opinion on Fenugreek and gas. I started Fenugreek tablets a couple days before his gas seemed to start. I wonder if this could contribute? Also, I started exercising two days ago. Could this have an effect on his gas?
    Have you used Gripe Water? Has it worked?

Default Re: Gas... could it be Fenugreek? Exercise? Try Gripe water??

I don't think there's any reason exercising would cause gas. According to this, it could be the fenugreek. http://www.kellymom.com/herbal/milks...ml#babyeffects Have you noticed a change in the amount of milk you are making while taking fenugreek?
    DS 1/2006 9 lb. 2 oz. 22 in.
    DD 10/2008 8 lb, 2 oz. 20 in.

I don't think exercise would cause gas. It sounds like he's still at the age when he needs some help to get the gas out and is starting to think of it as uncomfortable. One thing that helped us was to fart the baby after every meal. We're all taught to burp them after they eat, but the farting helps too.

There's a lot of different ways to do it. What worked best for me was to lean my LO against me with her back against my chest while I held one chunky thigh in each of my hands. Then I'd bring one thigh at a time gently but firmly up to her chest then down again while I kind of swayed back and forth. A minute or so of this usually produced a fart.

Once she could grab her own feet, she figured out she could make herself fart so it's been a while since we did our little gas dance.

I had to stop taking Fenugreek because it was giving my DS gas. I tried it twice and both times I started taking it DS woke up with horrible gas.

I used Fenugreek for a while and my baby had gas before, during, and after. I don't think it got any worse while I was taking it. We use Gripe Water and love it. It always provides instant relief. I prefer it over Mylicon, because it has natural ingredients.
    Stay at home mom to my 2 boys:
    R - born 4/20/08, nursed for 20 months
    G - born 8/6/11, EPd for 4 months, until he refused the bottle!
    Loving CDing this time around!

I have a four-month-old & experienced extreme fussiness & gas. The gripe water helped relieve the immediate gas problems. Yet at the same time, she would have repeated bouts between feedings & I didn't want to use the gripe water excessively. I read a lot about mother's diet and was frustrated by varied advice & suggestions. However, this article was one of the most helpful for me:

http://www.babycenter.com/404_are-th...eeding_8906.bc

After many weeks of frustration, I went on an elimination diet and drastically changed my diet. No wheat, soy, dairy, etc. I wouldn't recommend it for a mother of the occasionally fussy baby, but if your baby is continually upset & clearly it is gas/tummy trouble, it is worth it. We have a wonderfully happy baby now & VERY SLOWLY I am adding items back into my diet to determine the exact culprits. I track everything I eat so it's pretty simple to know the problem foods. My baby also has acid reflux, so certain things aggravate that, too.

You are a wonderful mom for continuing to find the answer. It is so trying to have an upset baby & not be able to solve the problem. My heart definitely goes out to you! Keep it up, though, you will find the solution for you & your little one will be happy.

I forgot to mention that I don't think exercise plays a role (I'm an avid runner & there was no difference when I did or did not run) & gripe water has been wonderful but I didn't see much success with the mylicon.

Haven't tried the gripe water -but love the gas drops (mylicon/baby gas-x/generic simethicone drops), I usually buy the cheaper brand &V they all seem to work the same...
    since 10/10/07
    and still going...