Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: back to work

Default back to work

hello,

i have to return to work next weekend - thankfully, i'm only returning part-time. i only have to work weekends - saturdays 8AM-8PM and sundays 2PM-10PM.

i'm just wondering if i should talk to my boss about my need to pump while at work. i EP for my LO, so i will definitely need to pump while i'm at work - probably 3 or 4 times, especially during that 12 hour shift.
    i work at a group home, so i think that it'll be tough to squeeze those sessions in, but i am hoping it'll work out. we don't really get breaks while we're at work, but, i did find out that my state has a law regarding breastfeeding moms in the workplace:

N.Y. Labor Law § 206-c (2007) states that employers must allow breastfeeding mothers reasonable, unpaid break times to express milk and make a reasonable attempt to provide a private location for her to do so. Prohibits discrimination against breastfeeding mothers.

i am just worried because no one at work is a mommy except me- we're all 20-something folks trying to keep the girls that live in the home safe, entertained and relatively happy. my boss, especially, might have a hard time understanding my need for the time to pump because he's just clueless.

i dunno.
    i wish i didn't have to go back to work at all.

Mommy to Nora Jean
    Born 6 lbs, 13 oz. on 06/13/08
    Loves her cloth diapers
    All the time

300 oz. donated so far!

Default Re: back to work

Congrats on your baby and your heroic efforts to EP! Sounds like you're going above and beyond to give your baby the best.

In terms of returning to work, I would try to brainstorm before you go back about where and when you'll be able to pump. Maybe there's an unused office or other space that you could use. Since you know the law is on your side and your boss is a little clueless, I would just tell him when you go back that you'll be pumping and where and how many times. You know, just matter-of-factly "I'll have to pump milk for my baby during my shift so I'll being do it [wherever], etc... I assume that will work." The underlying message is "this is normal - expected even." Don't be confrontational but don't ask for permission either. Have it figured out before so all he has to do is agree.

I find if you assume that people won't have a problem they often don't or their too shy to make a stink. And, if he does object, you have the statute to point to. Kind of expect the best and prepare for the worst.

Good luck!