Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Broken Boob!!

Question Broken Boob!!

Let's see...When DD (5 mos) was about 8 weeks old, I got a terrible mastitis in my left breast. I ran right to the doc and got meds and nursed the crap out of that side to get the milk going again, and it got better...but now when I pump (which I do during the day) I only get between an ounce and two ounces from that side whereas I am getting at least twice that amount from the other side.

Could the mastitis have permanantly damaged the ducts on that side? I have always started nursing on that side to try to stimulate higher production...I'm worried that as she gets bigger, with only one side producing, it won't be enough... she's EBFg now and I just gave her cereal for the first time today!!

Just wondering what your thoughts are on this issue. Plus, it's always kinda weird to have one boob bigger than the other....
    Single momma of four, and doin' just fine!!
    Tyler James 7lbs 15oz 11-4-99
    Emmalee Elizabeth 10lbs 2oz 5-11-01
    Trinity Victoria 9lbs 9oz 4-12-03
    Angel baby Patyn Louise 4lbs 2oz 3-2-04
    Mia Haylee 7lbs 8oz 2-21-08 (EBF so far!!)
    andandand smilin'!!

Default Re: Broken Boob!!

As far as mastitis some babies may resist/refuse the breast due to this temporary change, but it sounds like she nursed fine on that side when you had mastitis.
    Here is a link from kellymom about Lopsided breast..
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/lopsided.html
    I'm sorry, I'm not much help!

Kimberly Mommy to Landin and Avery

------------------------------------------

When I was pumping with my first baby, one breast consistently pumped more milk than the other. My baby showed no preference when he nursed, though.

Do you think that could be the case for you?
    Marianne
    LLL Leader

Question Re: Broken Boob!!

No, she doesn't care which breast she gets first, she nurses off of both sides fine... She does spend a little longer on the one that pumps more, but I'm assuming this is because there is more there...

I pump during the day, all week long, and BF at night and about half the weekend...She eats both sides, generally and I always start her on the side she left off on, so shouldn't that even the production out?

I'm just wondering, since i consistently only get one or so ounces from that side if the tissue was damaged permenantly from the mastitis...
    andandand smilin'!!

The exact thing happened to me, although I never pumped to prove it. I got mastitis in the left breast, and afterwards I had about a 1 inch square section of the breast that was flat. Even when the left breast got engorged, that small portion always remained flat and soft. It never affected our nursing relationship and resulted in DS nursing 80% of the time on my right side. I was reminded that if a mother can nurse twins with only 1 set of breasts, surely I could nurse 1 baby on 1.5 breasts.

FYI, after becoming pregnant and losing my milk, my breast is now back to normal!
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Talking Re: Broken Boob!!

Yeah I'm thinking I have 1.5 breasts going here!! I have noticed that when she nurses more frequently, the breast that had the mastitis doesn't really increase in production...and she sleeps through the night, too, so when I wake up in the morning, I've got one monster and one about half that size!

I'm not too worried, she seems to be satisfied after her feedings. I'm going to let my body do the thinkin'!
    andandand smilin'!!

I was an A cup on the left and a C cup on the right Even worse when I was engorged. It was pretty funny.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)