Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Whats the diffrence?

Default Whats the diffrence?

Between the domperidone and the relagan(sp?)?

Can you be on one and then switch to the other?
    What is the diffence?
    Would you take the same amount?
    Kristina Jeremiah since 2-18-1998
    Mother to
    2-02
    Gavin 1-03 Nursed 2.5mo
    Keean 5-04 BCLP
    Alexis 12-06 Nursed 12mo THEN
    Relactated after 5mo(due to her dairy intol.) and ended up making 30oz a day
    Now we are Weaned! AGAIN!
    Kason 6-2-10
    Birth..8 lbs 5.9 oz
    4 wks.... 10 lbs 12 oz
    9 wks.... 13 lbs 14 oz
    15wks... 16 lbs 4 oz
    17wks... 17 lbs 2 oz
    6 mo..... 19 lbs 6 oz
    7 mo .....20 lbs 3 oz

Default Re: Whats the diffrence?

Reglan and Domperidone are different chemical compounds. Reglan is 4-amino-5-chloro-N-(2-(diethylamino)ethyl)-2-methoxybenzamide, and Domperidone is 1,3-dihydro-5-chloro-1-(1-(3-(2,3-dihydro-2-oxo-1H-benzimidazol-1-yl)propyl)-4-piperidinyl)-2H-benzimidazol-2-one. (What a mouthful! )

Both drugs are used to treat nausea and vomiting. Use to increase milk supply is considered "off-label" use for both drugs.

Both drugs have side-effects. Reglan's side-effects include (but are not limited to) dizziness, restlessness, and (more rarely) depression. It is important to discuss any family or personal history of depression with your health care provider before taking Reglan. Domperidone's side-effects include (but are not limited to) headache, dizziness, dry-mouth, flushing, and irratibility. Domperidone is not associated with increased risk of depression as it does not cross the blood-brain barrier.

Reglan is FDA-approved for sale in the US. Domperidone is not, and is available in the US only by prescription from compounding pharmacies, or illegally via mail from Canada.

You can switch from one to the other. I am not sure what the dosage would be for either drug- if you really need to know, consult your lactation consultant, midwife, or obstetrician.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

The lowmilksupply.org website has info about both medications:

http://www.lowmilksupply.org/prescri...tagogues.shtml
    Marianne
    LLL Leader

Reglan and Domperidone are different chemical compounds. Reglan is 4-amino-5-chloro-N-(2-(diethylamino)ethyl)-2-methoxybenzamide, and Domperidone is 1,3-dihydro-5-chloro-1-(1-(3-(2,3-dihydro-2-oxo-1H-benzimidazol-1-yl)propyl)-4-piperidinyl)-2H-benzimidazol-2-one.

Anyways thinks for the advice
    I was thinking about asking my dr for a script of reglan since i have insurance but i am taking domperidone right now.
    What is a compounding pharmacy?
    Does anyone know if i get a script for dom if i can get the insurance to pay it somehow. like in canada or something?
    Mother to
    2-02
    Gavin 1-03 Nursed 2.5mo
    Keean 5-04 BCLP
    Kason 6-2-10
    Birth..8 lbs 5.9 oz
    4 wks.... 10 lbs 12 oz
    9 wks.... 13 lbs 14 oz
    15wks... 16 lbs 4 oz
    17wks... 17 lbs 2 oz
    6 mo..... 19 lbs 6 oz
    7 mo .....20 lbs 3 oz

I doubt your insurance will pay for a drug that is not approved for use in the states.

Are you taking either?
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

a compounding pharmacy is usually a small family owned pharmacy- you can look it up onlie or in the yellowpages. No you wont be able to get a RX for domer in the US. Insurance wont cover it.

now reglan you can get a RX- IF IF IF you find a LC or OB who will write it for you. Insurance will cover it. My OB wouldnt write it, nor would my family doc so i had to go to a LC to get it.
    Mommy to:
    Nathaniel 2/28/05
    Boy/Girl Twins: Raymond 17w4d & Candice 5/22/06
    Lana 12/22/07

Missing Wylder 9w5d
    TTCAL for another nursling!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*number3 View Post

Are you taking either?
    I am taking dom 40mg 3xs day.

That was why i was wondering what the diffrence was and if you could switch because i was wanting to see if the doc would write me a script for it.

I am getting my dom from inhousepharmacy and i have been getting 600tabs for 80.00.
    Mother to
    2-02
    Gavin 1-03 Nursed 2.5mo
    Keean 5-04 BCLP
    Kason 6-2-10
    Birth..8 lbs 5.9 oz
    4 wks.... 10 lbs 12 oz
    9 wks.... 13 lbs 14 oz
    15wks... 16 lbs 4 oz
    17wks... 17 lbs 2 oz
    6 mo..... 19 lbs 6 oz
    7 mo .....20 lbs 3 oz

When I talked to my OB about low supply, he offered to write me a script for Reglan. However, I turned him down because I have heard it can cause depression (my OB confirmed this)... I have a family history of depression so I said "no thanks." Also, he said it can cause tiredness, and I'm already exhausted from getting up at night with the baby so I couldn't afford to take a med that would make me more tired. Also, I asked him about Domperidone/Motilium, and he had never heard of it (I even had to spell it for him,) he left the room for a few minutes and went to look it up. He came back and said he couldn't find any info on it, so getting a script for Dom was a "no-go."

What my OB did instead was refer me to a "natural pharmacy" that has various supplements to help increase milk production. I have been taking the supplements for a couple months now and haven't noticed an increase.

Around here, the only compounding pharmacy I know if is called "The Medicine Shoppe." We had to go there to get a script filled for my DD's reflux medicine, as that was the only pharmacy that could fill it. Basically, they can mix their own medicines by "compounding" the ingredients together, places like Wal-mart pharmacy can't do that. The script we got for my DD's reflux medicine was a liquid, not sure how the compounding pharmacies could make a tablet form like Dom, but I guess they can?

HTH,
    Buff
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.