Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Fat content of pumped milk

Default Fat content of pumped milk

Clearly, I can not see the fat in the milk that my daughter simply nurses, but I pump three times a day for the local milk bank due to a pretty large excess supply. Well, when I was at work last spring, another teacher was pumping as well. Her baby was two weeks older than mine. We both were storing in the same fridge, and I noticed then that my milk had significantly more fat or cream on the top. At the time I did not think much of it. This summer, on occasion, I have to be away from my baby, and I put the milk in the fridge from the day before like any other normal person. There seems to be even more fat now than there was then. Is there a question here- yes.

1. How much fat is normal- I know it changes from person to person, but last week, I pumped 4 oz into a bottle that I forgot to put in the fridge. It sat on the stand by the TV until late that night. By then, an entire ounce of fat had floated to the top. And, that has been pretty typical of the milk that I put in the fridge.

2. Could this excess fat be contributing to my clogged milk ducts? If my daughter does not empty my right breast, it is very easy for me to get a clogged milk duct. I can go from zero to raquet ball sized lump in five or so hours. I usually can drain it within twelve hours, but it is painful, and just plain irritating.

3. Is it possible to have too much fat in your milk, and if so, are there any things I can do to help myself with this?

Thanks for your help.

Default Re: Fat content of pumped milk

Great question... I don't know the "real" answer but can share my thoughts. My first one is how long did the other mom pump for? I would get 1/4 to 1/3 of my milk as fat that would separate but I pumped for usually at least 20 min sometimes 30 or more depending. So I didn't think too much of it as I thought that the least fatty milk like skim milk comes out first and then the fuller fat stuff like whole milk came out later. Maybe the other mom was just pumping a few minutes and you were/are getting a more complete empty?

Ah HA! Here's some more info. you may be interested in
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/mi...e-milkfat.html

such a good question!

I think it depends on the dyad. And I think the answer to the question of "can there be too much fat" is NO. The thing about breast milk is that is is unique to you and your childs need In that it's what you are producing specifically to meet the needs of this specific child. So that this child can naturally develop the best way possible. Do some women have higher fat content in their milk? I think the answer to that is yes. But I also agree that is has to do with when and how much you are pumping. When my son was under six months old every bottle I pumped in the AM would have at least 2-4inches of cream at the top. These were always 4-5oz bottles.
    But if I ever pumped midday it was more like 1-2 inches. After the 6month when I would pump it was always less than 2inches. I think as he got older my milk had less fat in it. It could be affected by what you eat. But I always thought that was nature. When MY baby was young my milk working to pack the pounds on him. As soon as he got moving, he thinned way out. It might have been worrisome to me if he didn't already weigh 17 lbs by the time he was 4 months old. And I think genetically some babies are just meant to be smaller and the milk their mother produces reflects that. I know now, as the mother of a 2.5 year old that will jump on the trampoline everyday, and is very very active, I have to work very hard to make sure he is getting plenty of healthy fat. I think my body was just doing it for me in the beginning.

Way too lazy for formula

as pp said....i think it has to do w/ age
    • First time mommy to Alyssa Nicole 7 lbs. 19 3/4 in. born 10/17/07 via c-section.

finally off the since 10/24/08

We made it, 12 months!!!!!!!!

Donated 500 oz. so far, and counting...

2 weeks - 7 lbs 6 oz.
    2 months - 10 lbs.
    4 months - 12 lbs. 3 oz.
    6 months - 14 lbs. 1 oz.
    9 months - 16 lbs. 7 oz.
    12 months - 18 lbs. 10 oz.

Question Re: Fat content of pumped milk

I have been pumping for my three-week old who's not gaining weight. When my milk sits in the fridge or at room temperature, it does not separate. At most, I can see a negligible amount of fat at the top.

How can I increase the fat content of my milk?

pump longer on each side so you get more of the hind milk.

Way too lazy for formula

I pump for an extended period of time until there is no more milk, and with much massaging and compression. Can it be due to diet?