Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: can't swallow?

Default Re: can't swallow?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*superfastreader View Post
    I am doing baby led solids... I guess it is ok that she can't swallow yet. It doesn't mean she'll never be able to swallow, right?
    If you're doing baby led solids, I wouldn't put anything in her mouth. The principle behind baby led solids is that they will put in their mouth what they can handle. If she can't put it in her own mouth, she's probably not ready to chew/swallow without gagging.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

got it--thanks!!
    my little bean born at home 11/15/07
    Reading is my Superpower

So 8 months is really young, and solids is still a game. Do not worry whatsoever. Keep offering a variety of textures and flavors. In my experience with my own DS who is now 14 months, solids (BLS) is a very slow going thing.

I'm convinced he didn't swallow a single thing until past 12 months with the exception of yogurt. Now, he eats but some days are better than others with solids. If he's not feeling good or teething, he won't touch his food and would rather nurse. I'm okay with that.

As long as you're nursing, keep the solids a fun playtime. And there is no 'rigid and set' way for BLS. You can certainly help her if she indicates she wants help or is really struggling to get food in her mouth. I learned that DS got the pincer grasp but was beyond frustrated that he couldn't figure out how to let go of the food in his mouth. So I would stick a few pieces in there every so often so he felt rewarded and kept working on feeding himself.

You have to find what works with your own kid when it comes to BLS. Follow her lead and don't be afraid of the trial and error. I was so hung up on BLS and thought all the food had to be 'fry shaped' and only served fry shaped food for like 2 months with zero luck. Then once I cut it up a lot smaller he did way better.

HTH and have fun!
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

this is just what I need to hear. It is so easy to be confident when I'm explaining my choices to other people, but I start to second guess myself in my head, if that makes sense.

At what point can I safely offer her table food? It is hard to find time to make dinner for us, let alone make something special just for her. I would love to let her play with the food that we're eating.
    Reading is my Superpower

With true BLS you give her table food now.

had you seen this link with some ideas of good first foods?

Take an infant/child CPR course asap... then the fear of choking is gone.

I bumped some older threads earlier regarding that issue...
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Thanks--I have seen that link & also have Super Baby Foods. What I meant to ask was when can I just give her food off of my plate? I'm not really concerned about allergies b/c there is no history.

I did take an infant CPR class & it was really helpful--great recommendation! I'm not worried about her choking on food. My worry is that the gagging is indicative of some swallowing issue.
    Reading is my Superpower

i believe gagging means they are not ready....
    DD has been eating our food for about a month now...hth
    • First time mommy to Alyssa Nicole 7 lbs. 19 3/4 in. born 10/17/07 via c-section.

finally off the since 10/24/08

We made it, 12 months!!!!!!!!

Donated 500 oz. so far, and counting...

2 weeks - 7 lbs 6 oz.
    2 months - 10 lbs.
    4 months - 12 lbs. 3 oz.
    6 months - 14 lbs. 1 oz.
    9 months - 16 lbs. 7 oz.
    12 months - 18 lbs. 10 oz.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*superfastreader View Post
    Thanks--I have seen that link & also have Super Baby Foods. What I meant to ask was when can I just give her food off of my plate? I'm not really concerned about allergies b/c there is no history.

I did take an infant CPR class & it was really helpful--great recommendation! I'm not worried about her choking on food. My worry is that the gagging is indicative of some swallowing issue.
    Agh I have that same book and I hated it! So not helpful for my LO who was awful picky, lol. Okay the gagging is normal and it will pass, it sure is scary though. What we did was go with really soft foods for a long time at the beginning. We did banana, avocado, sweet potato, white potato... etc. etc. If I wasn't 'sure' he could handle it I didn't serve it. Also around 8 months you can try some puffed rice or cheerios. I was scared of the cheerios so I soaked them in breastmilk at first for a bit. (there's also organic 'o's' like cheerios if you want to go that route)

You can give things off your plate, but still be wary of the allergies even if they don't run in your family. I personally didn't go too crazy with the 3 day wait rule, but I didn't give my LO any of the obvious allergy foods such as nuts, egg white, etc. Also I worked with healthy first foods and wasn't serving things like chocolate and ice cream.

What foods have you already tried?
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09