Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: can't swallow?

Default can't swallow?

My dd is just over 8mos and not on solids yet. She is really not interested in food and does not have her pincer grasp.

What concerns me is that the few times I have put food into her mouth, she has gagged on it. The last time it was soft avocado, very mushed up.

Should I be worried that she has not outgrown her gag reflex?

I do give her baby probiotics (by RX from doctor) by a spoon and she eats that fine.
    my little bean born at home 11/15/07
    Reading is my Superpower

Default Re: can't swallow?

I would start on purees if you haven't already. I'm not really into stuffing chunky foods into kids mouths right away, before they're ready, just to make them ready. Your LO's gagging is a way of telling you "I'm not ready". My LO didn't outgrow her gag reflex until she was 10months old. And, she didn't really start picking things up with pincer grasp until then either. Keep trying once a week, and one day she'll just do it. I started to gradually increase the size of her chunks, and one day she just did it. Another sign was that she started getting angry in the highchair. She waned to do it herself, she knocked the banana out of my hand, picked it up and ate it. Good luck, and listen to your LO, they know what they're talking about.
    Mommy to Madilyn Born 4/25/07 9lbs. 15oz.
    C-section
    for 17 months. Greatest momments of my life!

do you have any information on baby led solids? It really focuses on the child being ready for solids. Here is a link.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

I am doing baby led solids... I guess it is ok that she can't swallow yet. It doesn't mean she'll never be able to swallow, right?
    Reading is my Superpower

yeah lots of kids self regulate thier solid intake.
    What things have you tried?

how is toddlers growth been?

we've tried avocado, banana, sweet potato. she gagged to vomiting on all of them.

her growth is fine, hitting all her milestones early, so i'm not worried about that.

lately we are letting her play w/natural cheerios at dinner to practice her pincer grasp.
    Reading is my Superpower

keep trying she'll get it..
    any foods before a year are just practice.

thanks!!
    Reading is my Superpower

i wouldn't put it in her mouth...set it on the tray and let her pick it up (she'll fine tune the pincer)....
    • First time mommy to Alyssa Nicole 7 lbs. 19 3/4 in. born 10/17/07 via c-section.

finally off the since 10/24/08

We made it, 12 months!!!!!!!!

Donated 500 oz. so far, and counting...

2 weeks - 7 lbs 6 oz.
    2 months - 10 lbs.
    4 months - 12 lbs. 3 oz.
    6 months - 14 lbs. 1 oz.
    9 months - 16 lbs. 7 oz.
    12 months - 18 lbs. 10 oz.