Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Aggressive nurser and co-sleeper

Default Aggressive nurser and co-sleeper

My son will be 2 next week and is very physical when he nurses. Climbing all over me and pinching and rolling the opposite breast in his fingers while he nurses. Should I just stop the sessions when he does this? We're trying to cut back his constant nursing during the day and it's going pretty well so far, but my husband would like him in his own bed at night. Any suggestions on how to start convincing him to sleep in his own room?

Default Re: Aggressive nurser and co-sleeper

where do you nurse at night? Can you nurse, read a book and say goodnight? Do you have a good bedtime routine to help reinforce him to sleep in his room?

ETA: sorry I saw this after the fact.... and congrats on your little one turing two!!!
    "The biggest mistake a man can make, is to have the fear of making one" Unknown

Being "just" a mom is the most powerful thing I could ever do, and it makes me the happiest person I could be.

Josh 9/02
    Ben 7/04
    Lily Shes Walking 10/07

232*230****225****220****215****210****205****200* ***195****190********180

I usually nurse him downstairs in the living room and he falls asleep. Then when I'm ready to go to bed I'll take him to his room and attempt to put him in his bed without waking him. Most times of course, this doesn't work and I just bring him into bed with us.

You might wana try getting a bedtime routine. You could try doing a bath, brush teeth, then a book in his room, nursing in his room even in his bed if you can. Try putting him in his bed drozy. Stay by his bed untill he is asleep for the first week, then the next week sit closer to the door, but still in his room so he can see you. Baby steps momma. Nice and slow.

Being "just" a mom is the most powerful thing I could ever do, and it makes me the happiest person I could be.

Josh 9/02
    Ben 7/04
    Lily Shes Walking 10/07

manners time! You can do it, might take a few times with tears but he'll get it.

For the sleeping in own bed, do you have a bed or crib?
    Is he still nursing down?

I was able to get my dd into her own bed for part of the night by nursing her down and then sneaking off.

He's in a toddler bed. He was up until 11pm last night so I used it to lure him to sleep in his own bed, without nursing. So I think the bedtime routine is a good idea. I have three kids, you would think I would be a pro by now. Oh well, they're all different I guess. Thanks for the words!

is he the baby of the three? I catch myself doing things differently sometimes with my baby girl ... I can't help it... and you know what, they are only this little once.... if it's not upsetting anyone... why change it?

Josh 9/02
    Ben 7/04
    Lily Shes Walking 10/07

Yeah he's the baby. Sigh. My girls were a much easier transition into the weaning/sleeping on their own thing. My husband really just wants him out of our bed as his little two year old legs can do some serious damage to Daddy's back and/or head etc. I'm cutting out nap today in the hopes that he'll be too tired to resist his own bed tonight. When he wakes up though in his bed he wants to come in and nurse, so that'll be another whole situation unto itself I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mahatrick View Post
    I'm cutting out nap today in the hopes that he'll be too tired to resist his own bed tonight.
    Hope you are not having any company over tonight