Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: New Mommy Questions

Default New Mommy Questions

Hi all!

I'm a new mommy and have been reading your threads for support and information. I have just a few weird questions.

I delivered my son on July 12th, which makes him just shy of three weeks old. His birth weight was 6 pounds 10 ounces. When I went to the pediatrician, he weighed 6 lbs 2 oz. Since then, we've been nursing and I think gaining weight (our next visit is Aug 4th for a weigh in). We've had LOTS of wet/poopy diapers and his skin isn't dry like it was - nice and plump.

1. How many diapers is TOO many diapers? Some nights alone, I change 7-8 diapers - usually both wet and dirty. We went through a 40 pack in 3 days. I know there will be lots, but that just seems like an unusually high number.

2. Sometimes when I'm nursing, milk will come out of his nose. Is this normal? Is this really bad? Is it positional? Although he will nurse in almost any position, I have found the only way for him to relax enough is lying down on a pillow in my lap, with his head facing me. I feel bad for the little guy.

3. When is the best time to pump to build up a backup supply of BM? I have a double Ameda pump that I have been using, but I find it is difficult to find an appropriate time to use it. Either I feel like it empties my breast so completely that when he nurses, he isn't satisfied, or I'll pump and he's immediately ready to nurse again. We want to build up a supply for days when we want to go out and for my husband to be more involved in feeding him (his first daughter was bottle fed - and he really misses that aspect of caring for our son. I'm totally cool with it. He's a really good nurser with a great latch).

4. Have you guys found that your sleeping arrangements have had to change? Currently, we have a bassinet in the bedroom against my side of the bed. However, our son really prefers sleeping next to one of us, particularly at nighttime. I'm fine with this, but it's difficult for my husband to get any sleep since he has to be on his side to accommodate the LO. I tried sleeping on the couch with the bassinet, and got no sleep (he was extra fussy). He tried sleeping on the couch and got no sleep. What has worked for you guys for minimum interruption?

5. Are grunting, squeaky, and sheep-like noises normal when a baby is sleeping? Again, it only seems to happen at night, when we lie him down in the bassinet. I'm concerned about reflux, but why would it only happen at night and not during the day when I lie him down? Is it just him protesting? He seems very "talkative".

I know these are oddball questions, not all related to nursing. I appreciate your advice and knowledge in advance. I've had many good days and some really horribly insecure days. I come here often in search of inspiration - if other people can do it, certainly I can too. Thanks.

Default Re: New Mommy Questions

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*blackberrygrl View Post
    Hi all!

I'm a new mommy and have been reading your threads for support and information. I have just a few weird questions.

I delivered my son on July 12th, which makes him just shy of three weeks old. His birth weight was 6 pounds 10 ounces. When I went to the pediatrician, he weighed 6 lbs 2 oz. Since then, we've been nursing and I think gaining weight (our next visit is Aug 4th for a weigh in). We've had LOTS of wet/poopy diapers and his skin isn't dry like it was - nice and plump.
    Nice to meet you!

1. How many diapers is TOO many diapers? Some nights alone, I change 7-8 diapers - usually both wet and dirty. We went through a 40 pack in 3 days. I know there will be lots, but that just seems like an unusually high number.
    Well, unfortunately, 10-12 or more diapers per day is pretty normal in the first weeks. The usually "go" at least every time they nurse, sometimes before and after, lol. In the first weeks with my boys, I always used about 12 a day, lol... But it gets better, the older they get, they start to hold it a little longer. Pretty soon, you'll be wondering why he doesn't poo anymore in the middle of the night It's really nice when they stop doing that.

2. Sometimes when I'm nursing, milk will come out of his nose. Is this normal? Is this really bad? Is it positional? Although he will nurse in almost any position, I have found the only way for him to relax enough is lying down on a pillow in my lap, with his head facing me. I feel bad for the little guy.
    Does it seem to upset him? I haven't had this happen, but I'm sure he's fine. AFter all, those people who can make milk come out of their noses have to be able to do it somehow....your son just knows how already. Ask your ped if you're worried, but I'm sure he's just fine.

3. When is the best time to pump to build up a backup supply of BM? I have a double Ameda pump that I have been using, but I find it is difficult to find an appropriate time to use it. Either I feel like it empties my breast so completely that when he nurses, he isn't satisfied, or I'll pump and he's immediately ready to nurse again. We want to build up a supply for days when we want to go out and for my husband to be more involved in feeding him (his first daughter was bottle fed - and he really misses that aspect of caring for our son. I'm totally cool with it. He's a really good nurser with a great latch).
    Try pumping in the morning after he's nursed already, because you'll be fuller then, or after some other nursing session. Pumping after nursing will take more than one nursing session, but its better than pumping first and not having quite enough in there when he decides to nurse right after you've pumped. And remember, in order to keep your milk supply up, you need to pump whenever he's having a bottle. So that means that if you want your dh to be able to give a bottle at a particular time of day, that you need to pump then, in order to keep your supply up. Supply and demand is what makes it all possible, and there needs to be a demand for your body to keep up the supply.

Later on when he's older, that won't be too big of a deal, but in the first months, it's more important to keep the supply and demand regular.

4. Have you guys found that your sleeping arrangements have had to change? Currently, we have a bassinet in the bedroom against my side of the bed. However, our son really prefers sleeping next to one of us, particularly at nighttime. I'm fine with this, but it's difficult for my husband to get any sleep since he has to be on his side to accommodate the LO. I tried sleeping on the couch with the bassinet, and got no sleep (he was extra fussy). He tried sleeping on the couch and got no sleep. What has worked for you guys for minimum interruption?
    Yes. We went with the flow, and it worked much better for us. If you want to search the forums here, you'll get tons of info on co-sleeping that'll be helpful to you. Try putting bed rails (for toddlers beds) on your side of the bed, put baby on the outside, you in the middle, and your dh on the other side. Your dh will have more room that way, and you can nurse baby.

5. Are grunting, squeaky, and sheep-like noises normal when a baby is sleeping? Again, it only seems to happen at night, when we lie him down in the bassinet. I'm concerned about reflux, but why would it only happen at night and not during the day when I lie him down? Is it just him protesting? He seems very "talkative".
    Some kids are just vocal. Does he seem to be having problems breathing? Or does he seem to be just talking?

I know these are oddball questions, not all related to nursing. I appreciate your advice and knowledge in advance. I've had many good days and some really horribly insecure days. I come here often in search of inspiration - if other people can do it, certainly I can too. Thanks
    No Problem! Nice to Meet you!

ITA with the above post on pretty much everything. The only thing I'd add is to try to hold out a couple more weeks before introducing the bottle. It sounds like you're doing great with nursing so far, but introing a bottle too soon can still confuse baby. Most people recommend 6 weeks. I started my daughter at 5 weeks and she did fine.

It sounds like you're doing great being a new mommy! I also ended up co-sleeping (much to my own surprise). I slept on my side so I could nurse, switching baby from side to side when necessarly. I put pillows on the floor on my side of the bed (we're not very high off the ground- just mattress and boxspring height). My daughter also made grunting noises, I think that's probably normal. She outgrew it, though I can't for the life of me recal how old she was. I don't have any advice on the milk through the nose thing, hopefully someone else will chime in about that.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Congratulations! It sounds like you're doing a wonderful job!!!

I wanted to try to help out with some of your questions:

Milk out of the nose - is normal. Search the forums here - I've seen it at least once if not more -I just can't remember where. Positioning might change it so that it doesn't flow out the nose.
    If it bothers your LO then consult the pedi.

Pumping - if possible, can you hold off on this for at least a week or so more? I didn't start pumping at home until 5 weeks. I was told the longer I waited the better. Once I started pumping, I would pump for about 10-15 minutes right after I fed DD. I tried to do this after every time I fed her. I didn't get a lot at first, but it increased over time.
    The benefit of waiting was that she was out of that constantly-nursing state, so I didn't have to worry about "stealing" milk from her.

Noises - my DD was SO noisy when sleeping! For her, it was anytime she got into a decent sleep and was laying flat. She made all sorts of noises - sometimes it sounded kinda wheezy, sometimes it sounded like little whimpers, etc... As long as LO is breathing well, it should be okay. We had mentioned the noises to our pedi. and they said it seemed fine.

Good luck and welcome!!!

and congrats on the new baby!

Couple of comments:

1. I agree with the suggestion of adding a pumping session in in the morning after his first morning feeding. That worked well for me. We introduced a bottle at 4 weeks. Also, don't worry about "using up" the milk in your breast and not leaving enough for your LO. Your breasts will make more milk. Really!

2. Sleeping arrangements: Have you considered a co-sleeper or sidecarring a crib to your bed?
    We have a crib sidecarred to our bed more or less like this and it works so well!

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Thank you for your advice and wisdom.

Generally, he is a very happy baby. The only time he really cries is when he's fussy/tired. He doesn't seem colicky at all, so that makes me think he doesn't have any kind of serious reflux issue. From what I understand, all babies have some amount of reflux due to their immature GI system. Sometimes it just seems to gag him or make him cough. He doesn't even really spit up. He does get the hiccups - a LOT. Also, the milk through the nose thing doesn't bother him at all. I just happen to glance down and see it!

As for pumping, I've already done enough for about 8 ounces total, or 5 portions. It's not something I'm doing on a regular basis. I've been doing it after nursing him. It just seems to be like Murphy's Law, once I've done it - he wants to nurse again, and again, and again, until there is dust coming out! Last night, my husband fed him breastmilk with the bottle, and I went to pump and go to bed (I only got 2 hours sleep the night before- growth spurt?). I understand the supply/demand issue. I just didn't know if it was better to add in a pumping while he's marathon sleeping or to always do it after nursing.

As for not introducing a bottle yet, too late. It's been done a few times. However, this kid is a rock solid nurser. Great latch from day one. No sore nipples except in the very beginning. It's actually much more difficult to give him a bottle, he doesn't take to it very well. We've been using a Medela style bottle (forget the name), but it has three lines on the nipple so you control the flow of milk - making him work for it. When it's time to nurse him, he gets very playful/excited and smiles and coos and then opens that mouth big and latches. My only complaint is that he wants to do it ALL the time. Which I know - isn't a bad thing.

I did have two other questions.

1. When he's at breast and is falling asleep, he will pause for a long time then do this tongue/jaw quiver, then go into a normal suck. What is that?

2. Sling recommendations? I bought one from Wal-Mart (forget the name) and it is really uncomfortable. I am a plus-size gal and this particular model had a "shoulder pad" that cut across my neck. My husband is interested in wearing it as well - so it needs to be unisex. Reasonable price too, please.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*blackberrygrl View Post
    As for not introducing a bottle yet, too late. It's been done a few times. However, this kid is a rock solid nurser. Great latch from day one. No sore nipples except in the very beginning. It's actually much more difficult to give him a bottle, he doesn't take to it very well. We've been using a Medela style bottle (forget the name), but it has three lines on the nipple so you control the flow of milk - making him work for it. When it's time to nurse him, he gets very playful/excited and smiles and coos and then opens that mouth big and latches. My only complaint is that he wants to do it ALL the time. Which I know - isn't a bad thing.

I did have two other questions.

1. When he's at breast and is falling asleep, he will pause for a long time then do this tongue/jaw quiver, then go into a normal suck. What is that?

2. Sling recommendations? I bought one from Wal-Mart (forget the name) and it is really uncomfortable. I am a plus-size gal and this particular model had a "shoulder pad" that cut across my neck. My husband is interested in wearing it as well - so it needs to be unisex. Reasonable price too, please.
    I introduced a bottle (of ebm) earlier with my 2 other children for different reasons and it turned out fine. As long as he's nursing well you don't have anything to worry about IMO!
    1. IMO he's just starting to fall asleep and then remembers that he has a nipple in his mouth and sucks. All of my babies have done the same thing.
    2. Slings - what kind do you have now? A ring sling? I have 2 hotslings(pouch), unpadded ring sling, and an Ergo soft-structured carrier and I like to use them all for different reasons. The Ergo is pricey though and not the best for a small baby, so I'd recommend either a well-fitting pouch or an unpadded ring sling.
    Most pouches come in only one size - so unless you and your DH would wear the same size pouch (My DH and I do), you'd need an adjustable pouch or go with the RS. I also think that a wrap or a mei tai would be a good option for you, though I personally have less experience with those.
    I understand not wanting to spend a lot of $ on a sling but IMO they are worth 10X their weight in gold. We use ours every day.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on