Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9 week old diagnosed with acid reflux

Default 9 week old diagnosed with acid reflux

Let me start by saying I am still new to the forum and not familiar with the acronyms. Is there a list of commonly used acronyms somewhere on this site? Now, on to the issue at hand. My lo (little one?) was diagnosed with acid reflux last week. We do not have a problem with vomiting, just occasional spitting up. She has gained 5 lbs 7 oz since birth, so weight gain is not a problem. We took her in to get checked bc we noticed a rattling, gurgling sound in her chest and throat. She usually swallows her spit-up and then crys. She is what some would consider a fussy baby (more so in the evenings) I think the acid reflux has a lot to do with her crying spells. She also gets the hiccups 3 or 4 times a day and has excessive drool. I feel so bad for her. Last night was really bad, she would nurse, then pull away and cry, nurse, pull away and cry. We finally just stopped and rocked until she feel asleep. Does anyone have any advice on dealing with acid reflux. I have started nursing her with her sitting in an upright position, which is sometimes awkward, and I try to keep her upright for at least 30 min afterwards. At night, however, we nurse with her lying down and usually fall asleep nursing. I rarely even burp her at night. Will this get better? I read somewhere that it will go away by the time they are 1 yr. Surely it gets somewhat better before then. I hate to know she has to suffer with this for a year. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Default Re: 9 week old diagnosed with acid reflux

For us it got a bit worse before it got better. I think they say 4 months is the peak of reflux. We chose to medicate during that time. Our son had silent reflux, so like your daughter, she didn't have that typical puking symptom.

The things you are doing now: nursing elevated, staying elevated 30 minutes after eating, are great ideas. We also propped our son up to sleep. You can buy special wedges for the bed. Or you can actually raise up the head of the crib or bassinet depending on your sleeping arrangements.

Some people have found that chiropractic treatments have helped reflux. Other have found that eliminating dairy in the nursing Mother has helped. Sometimes a dairy sensitivity can present with reflux symptoms. Is your daughter showing any other signs such as green poop, diaper rash?

Good luck, it WILL get better!!
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

My son has reflux as well. He was prescribed zantac by our doctor. He still spits up (although not as much), but he no longer cries. I burp my son in the middle of the night, because I find on nights that I don't he's much worse the next day. you can also use a crib wedge (in your bed or in the crib) to keep her on a slight incline.

I'm right now (nursing at keyboard) but I'll be back late when I can type better

oh and here is a link to the abbreviations
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

I cut milk out of my diet about 2 weeks ago. I still occasionaly eat cheese. I probably should cut that out too. What about tomato products like sauce, ketchup, etc? My husband read that cutting that out would help also. I had ketchup at lunch and vegetable soup last night. Maybe that contributed to the reflux last night . Of course, I'm not sure how long it takes for the food you eat to reflect in your breastmilk?

My LO also has reflux, I think she was about 4 wks old and she's 5 1/2 months now and still continues to have it. It has gotten better with the same type of interventions you have done (the holding up after meals, feeding upright, and so on) I do have her sleeping in a baby hammock called Amby baby which I think has helped her with her night time reflux a bunch. She use to wake up in the middle of the night screaming and spitting up. Since she's been sleeping in the Amby there's no more of that. My ped suggested to see an accupuncturist and he's placed her on some herbs which I think has also helped her. She's not 100% but better than before. No meds though, only natural stuff here. Be patient though, it will get better
    First time mom of Cristiana Veronika

Born on 1/26/08 (@ 36 wks) weighing 5 lbs 14 oz

and

+ = happy baby

YOur baby's symptoms sound exactly like ours which began at 4 weeks and it sounds like you are doing all the right things. I had to stop nursing lying down or else I'd still have to sit up to burp at night...which removes the luxury of nursing lying down. I also had to start putting her down in her bouncy seat after feedings rather than lying down for the benefit of the slight incline it provides. For sleeping in crib we got whats called a TUCKER SLING for her mattress which keeps her from slipping down the incline of her mattress. You can google it.

Dr. began us on Axid AR 0.7ml 2times per day. I give it to her first thing in the morning and around 8pm before the last evening feeding. It seems to be working.
    Mom to Savannah (2yrs old--BF till 12mo)
    MOM to TREY (19 yrs) didn't breastfeed

Due AUG 2010 with 3rd child
    Plan to at work and at home.

DD started the same thing at 4 weeks except she was a silent refluxer like pp. She would SCREAM at the breast off and on and we heard the gurgling sounds as well. She projectiled spit up a couple of times but that caused no pain. I nursed as upright as we could. It definitely started to get worse so we took her to the doc. and got her on prevacid. It worked wonders! She never had a problem with the reflux again. At 5 mo. we took her off the prevacid and she is fine.
    • First time mommy to Alyssa Nicole 7 lbs. 19 3/4 in. born 10/17/07 via c-section.

finally off the since 10/24/08

We made it, 12 months!!!!!!!!

Donated 500 oz. so far, and counting...

2 weeks - 7 lbs 6 oz.
    2 months - 10 lbs.
    4 months - 12 lbs. 3 oz.
    6 months - 14 lbs. 1 oz.
    9 months - 16 lbs. 7 oz.
    12 months - 18 lbs. 10 oz.

Thanks for all the response. I am really bummed about not being able to nurse lying down at night anymore. The ped didn't even mention any meds. I guess we will see if it gets any better w/out them first. Someone mentioned Colic Calm. Does anyone know anything about it, supposed to be a homeopathic (sp?) med. It seems like since I have been nursing her sitting up she doesn't get hiccups as much anymore. She cries out in her sleep sometimes. I know they go through sleep cycles and can laugh and cry in their sleep, but sometimes I wonder if it is the acid reflux causing her pain. I have never had reflux, but people I talk to say it feels like your throat is on fire. Poor lo if that is what she is feeling.

We tried every natural remedy out there, including colic calm and colic ease and even Cranial Ostepathy. Things helped a bit, but we still had the screaming at the breast. The reason we chose to medicate is because some refluxers can get an eating aversion due to the pain they start to associate with eating. I think we medicated for 2 months.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

She has only screamed at the breast occassionally. We see her ped on the 24th. The guy we saw the other day was just the ped on call that Saturday. I guess I will just talk to him. I don't really like the idea of putting her on meds. But I don't want her to suffer. When would you know to take them off the meds?
    It sounds like maybe she has it mildly now, but if it is going to worsen before it gets better, I would want her taking something.