Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Breaking the rules

Default Re: Breaking the rules

Formula (and all cow's milk products) can cause tiny tears in the lining of the intestine, that are essentially impossible to detect, but can lead to a predisposition to allergies and stomach troubles. If you think your lo has tummy troubles, I would look to the formula first, the solids second (and I just can't imagine feeding my tiny tiny baby solids), and then to changes in MY diet. I would (and have done it with both of mine) eliminate dairy, egg and wheat--all of which can cause breastfed babies to be gassy.

both of mine were infrequent poopers. Waylon went today--with a grunt and sigh he had everything covered in it. There was more than I could even believe.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Exclamation Re: Breaking the rules

[QUOTE=@llli*Gooey.RN;543669]Baby is ready to eat solid foods when they can sit up unassisted, have a pincer grasp, no tongue thrust, can bring the food to their mouth, mash it, and swallow it all on their own.
    Fran
    Mom to Anna, March 28, 2008

I often here people say "well we were given this and we're ok" or "well i did this and my kids turned out ok" and I don't disagree with that BUT my response is do you want "OK" for your child, or do you want to give him or her the best possible? We do know that many children have been given solids before 6 months, and turned out "ok". But we also know that current medical knowledge tells us that babies should be exclusively breast fed for at least 6 months and up to a year of age - that this is the "best" scenario. So do you want "ok" or do you want "best" for your baby? To me it is a nobrainer! Tell grandma no more bananas!

i have a mil like that oh how i know. she actually told me i was starving my kids and i listen to the drs to much. i should be giving them cereal. i said no not till there at least 4 months is what the dr says. but anyway once trevor starts solids in a few months. were lucky a little friend of my son dylan her dad works at beech nut. he told me the other day when dylan had a play date that he could get me cases of baby food anytime i needed it. at less then 1/2 the cost of buying it from the store. that is a big help since with 5 kids i do a big portion of my grocery shopping at a wholesale club buying in bulk. not to mention what i save just buying diapers and wipes by the case.

Here are a couple of links:

http://www.mother-2-mother.com/normal.htm#NormalStools

http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns...-concerns.html

Yes, it is normal for an infant to go several days without a poopy diaper. If it is normal, why do you want to change it? Formula stools are NOT normal! They are more smelly and come more frequently because there is so much junk in formula that the baby cannot digest. Babies use most of the nutrients in breastmilk which is why there is not as much waste and in turn not as many poopy diapers.

Why do you think your baby is uncomfortable? What symptoms is he having which makes you think he is uncomfortable?

For what it is worth, my mom had both my brother and I on cereal by 6 weeks. That was the recommendation then. There is so much new information out there now that we know this was not a good idea. Of course, most parents of that generation don't keep up on the new info. I had to share the new research with my mom and say "this is what we are following". She was fine with that.

You are the mom, and you know best. Good luck!
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*laineysmom View Post
    Of course, most parents of that generation don't keep up on the new info.
    Heck sometimes it seems like most of the peditritians don't keep up on the new info!!!

It amazes me when I am aware of mothers who will do whatever their ped says without doing any research of their own.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jewelsf View Post
    It amazes me when I am aware of mothers who will do whatever their ped says without doing any research of their own.
    I couldn't agree more. Do your own research!
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*smellinglikeafairy View Post
    Thanks for all the advice. It's just easy to get frustrated when baby has issues I can't solve. I drew a connection between the bananas and him final pooping more often, even if maybe it's just coincidence. I'm getting desperate though. He goes a long time without pooping, and while that may be "normal", I can't help but dislike that fact, since he's obviously uncomfortable because of it. As soon as he poops he's a very happy baby. I guess it's natural I'd gravitate towards anything that might possibly alleviate his crankiness. It's easy to jump into things when you're desperate. Isn't there anything I can do to help him? Now I feel like I'm hurting him with my milk. He poops when his daddy gives him formula. Am I missing something in my diet?

You could try drinking prune juice if you feel he needs to go more, so he will get the prune juice through your bm. BM is also a natural laxative so don't give formula, give more bm and that should help. I know everyone has said this, but it really is completely normal for a bf baby to go a while without going. My son went from several times a day to once a week and then now back to several times a day.