Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Breaking the rules

Default Re: Breaking the rules

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*becky.holderbach View Post
    I think the key things is the some people part. I have never been careful about avoiding food allergies... and none of my 5 kids have them. I have given all of them cow's milk, peanuts, all manner of grains, fruits, etc. from the time they would indicate they wanted them. With my first, her first food was soft serve ice cream. Nothing bad happened. She doesn't have allergies, she isn't overweight, she isn't hyperactive. She just graduated High School with a 2.9 GPA. Normal average kid.
    I am glad nothing bad happened to your kids, but I certainly don't think this is the way to go.

No baby needs solids at that age, ever. It is just too dangerous for so many different reasons, as the previous posters mentioned. I would put a stop to it immediately.
    ~Brandi~

Loving wife to K
    Proud stepmom to B, and proud mom to J and R-A
    and our newest addition C

Happily homeschooling
    Still and and

Ask me about Parkinson's Disease! Visit me at Life With Shaky!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*pdwife View Post
    I am glad nothing bad happened to your kids, but I certainly don't think this is the way to go.

No baby needs solids at that age, ever. It is just too dangerous for so many different reasons, as the previous posters mentioned. I would put a stop to it immediately.

To the op - you said:

It's way too early to start solids.
    So why would ya??

I am not sure how it's "helping" him... as a previous poster mentioned, bananas are constipating, so the fact that his poop pattern has changed from typical, normal BF poo, to not so much and less, isn't necessarily a benefit.

JMO
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Thanks for all the advice. It's just easy to get frustrated when baby has issues I can't solve. I drew a connection between the bananas and him final pooping more often, even if maybe it's just coincidence. I'm getting desperate though. He goes a long time without pooping, and while that may be "normal", I can't help but dislike that fact, since he's obviously uncomfortable because of it. As soon as he poops he's a very happy baby. I guess it's natural I'd gravitate towards anything that might possibly alleviate his crankiness. It's easy to jump into things when you're desperate. Isn't there anything I can do to help him? Now I feel like I'm hurting him with my milk. He poops when his daddy gives him formula. Am I missing something in my diet?
    Jess,
    Proud mom to Soren Alexander P.
    Born May 25, 2008
    birth weight: 6 lbs. 12oz
    one week: 6 lbs. 13.5oz
    two weeks: 7lbs 5oz
    one month: 9lbs

It could be that bm is the perfect nutrition for your lo and the body uses all of it. My lo can go for 3-4 days without pooping. Sometimes she goes only once a day.

sucessfully breastfeeding my little princess for 10 months we are absolutely in love I know Im giving her the best and I know she'll grow healthy and strong!!
    Happily Nursing my Toddler

New to and loving that too!!!

My little Sarai loves her cloth
    And I love to them.....yes yet another cloth convert

Something to consider...The formula could possibly be causing him the pain...
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Breastmilk has no waste. Formula has lots of waste. My exclusively breastfed kids went periods of up to two weeks with no poop. It's normal.

You coud have a diet of cheetos and soda and your milk would still be better than formula. If he's pretty irritible a lot, he could be sensitive to milk and eggs in your diet, those two are notorius for contributing to fussiness.

Maybe the formula is causing problems.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

I agree with PPs. The formula could be causing constipation, if that's what's happening; it may be that he's just going to naturally go longer between bowel movements now. I think my son was around 6 or 7 weeks when it began to slow down.

Sorry to change the subject slightly, but when DS goes more than 3 to 4 days without pooping he too gets very uncomfortable. When he finally goes it is HUGE. He has been exclusively BF (until this week). To me this seems like constipation. If he was simply digesting everything, then why are his poops so large when he finally does go?

Constipation is dry hard pellet like poop. Are either of you experiencing that? If not it's not constipation and while I know that when it 1stm starts to happen it
    a hard to believe it can be ok but you are projecting. Based on how YOU'd feel if you went 5 days without pooping. And I remember the 1st time it happened to me. Because I was projecting. I was SURE that every grunt or cry he made HAD TO be because he hadn't pooped in 4,5,6, 7 days. But it's not true. They aren't uncomfortable and they aren't constipated. The color and consistency change from the seedy mustard poop to the color and consistency of peanut butter when their digestive tracts begin to mature. And while there is less waste and that is why sometimes there is less poop, the other reason is that part of their digestive tract maturing is that the sphincters get tighter. So they stop going every time they eat. I understand Mamas that it's hard to believe. But believe us. It's NORMAL. And feeding solids or formula to get a child to go more is essentially feeding a child so that they make more waste. It makes no sense. Sometimes you just don't have to change diapers everyday. It's OK.

Way too lazy for formula

my lo poops about once a week. It's huge when he poops, but it was huge when he pooped 4 times a day as well

2 months old is so young yet - his body is probably just now moving from daily poops to less frequent poops. Totally normal (and grunting is also normal ) Don't add anything to his diet. Your breastmilk is the best there is, why give him anything that's second-rate??

good luck mama
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet