Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Breaking the rules

Default Breaking the rules

My mother has started to feed mashed banana to my two-month-old. It's way too early to start solids. But here's the thing - until she started feeding them to him he wasn't pooping much, which is normal yes but seemed to make him cranky, not to mention resulting in huge poops, up to the chest type poops, whenever they would happen.

She wouldn't give him a full meal of banana, just a few spoonfuls, without the core, and then feed him my milk (this is while I'm working). His other grandmother told me she started her kids on solids at five weeks.

In short, my dilemma is that while I know better, it doesn't seem to hurt him, in fact it seems to be helping. What should I do.
    Last edited by @llli*smellinglikeafairy; July 24th, 2008 at 04:19 PM. Reason: typo
    Jess,
    Proud mom to Soren Alexander P.
    Born May 25, 2008
    birth weight: 6 lbs. 12oz
    one week: 6 lbs. 13.5oz
    two weeks: 7lbs 5oz
    one month: 9lbs

Default Re: Breaking the rules

I don't think starting solids early is an issue of short-term health but long-term health. Here is a link:

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...ay-solids.html

I know a lot of women from your mothers generation introduced solids early, and I do think for some it does cause long-term problems. My husband had rice cereal starting at 2 weeks, and he has a lot of digestive issues such as Celiac, and although it's tough to say if that had anything to do with it, it's causing me to be way more cautious about solids for my own child.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

I think the key things is the some people part. I have never been careful about avoiding food allergies... and none of my 5 kids have them. I have given all of them cow's milk, peanuts, all manner of grains, fruits, etc. from the time they would indicate they wanted them. With my first, her first food was soft serve ice cream. Nothing bad happened. She doesn't have allergies, she isn't overweight, she isn't hyperactive. She just graduated High School with a 2.9 GPA. Normal average kid. I am saying that luckily small variances from what is recommended rarely destroy people's health, otherwise most of us would be horribly damaged from the times in college we were stupid enough to drink too much and eat too little. Also bananas are a very bland food that is easy on the tummy. That is why they tell you to give it to kids who have upset tummies(BRAT diet). So I wouldn't worry too much about what has already been given. Not saying you should encourage grandma to start feeding him cereal regularly or anything else, just saying I doubt the bananas do any major harm if he has them once in a while when he is uncomfortable and needing to poop.
    Moral of the story- Do what seems to work for your baby. I am not saying every baby should eat bananas at 2 months or no one should. I am saying look at your family history- any food allergies? look at your baby-does this seem to make him poop more comfortably? If it makes you uncomfortable or you suspect it will cause health problems- tell grandma no more bananas! Trust your instincts, don't beat yourself up with guilt. SO many things that seem monumental when they are at one stage, you will feel so silly for worrying about when this stage has past.
    SAHM mom to 5 daughters-16,15,13,3,10 months Happy Wife to stressed out, overworked husband

The intoduction of banana coinciding with a less cranky baby is coincidence. Please have your mother stop doing that. There is no benefit, but it can be quite dangerous...like you said, you know better.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

2 months is too young. Medical evidence has shown that a baby's digestive system is not ready solids until at least 6 months.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*danlynclark View Post
    2 months is too young. Medical evidence has shown that a baby's digestive system is not ready solids until at least 6 months.
    oh yeah! My mother is one you must watch too or your two month old will be eatting eggs and teething on bacon she means well but a little out of date...
    Allie
    Wife to T
    Mother to 4 crazy ones

Baby is ready to eat solid foods when they can sit up unassisted, have a pincer grasp, no tongue thrust, can bring the food to their mouth, mash it, and swallow it all on their own.

I don't think a 2 month old can do that. It is rare a baby can do all of that before 4 months. 6 months is the average, some not until 8+ months.

You know the baby shouldn't have banana. They do not have the enzymes present in their gut to properly digest foods until they can meet all of the above milestones.

It IS harmful. The gut is not sealed yet. The gut is where the immunity occurs. Don't mess up their immune system!

When I run into things like that - I like to quote an authority so it isn't about my parenting experience vs. my mother's experience.

I say things like:

"You may not have realized it, but the current recommendation from the American Academy of Pediatrics is for exclusive breastfeeding for about the first 6 months. You can be a big help by helping us follow this guideline. Thank you!"
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

And truthfully, bananas are actually a food that constipates, not help move things along. I would stop having her do something I know my child isn't ready for.

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    And truthfully, bananas are actually a food that constipates, not help move things along. I would stop having her do something I know my child isn't ready for.
    I agree totally! We know first hand on the constipation of bananas becarefull momma
    "The biggest mistake a man can make, is to have the fear of making one" Unknown

Being "just" a mom is the most powerful thing I could ever do, and it makes me the happiest person I could be.

Josh 9/02
    Ben 7/04
    Lily Shes Walking 10/07

232*230****225****220****215****210****205****200* ***195****190********180