Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: does all night nursing ever stop on its own?

Default Re: does all night nursing ever stop on its own?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*FluffyN View Post

Have you read the No-Cry Sleep Solution by Elizabeth Pantley (I think she has a toddler-centered one now too) or Jay Gordon's sleep method (http://www.drjaygordon.com/development/ap/sleep.asp)? There are gentler methods for reducing or eliminating night nursing than just CIO. I couldn't let my son cry it out either.
    If you try a method and the LO just isn't having it then they just might not be ready - or fighting and illness, teething, having milestone anxiety ect. Keep trying every 4-6 weeks and you'll probably see some progress before long.
    My son was 18 month when he finally was able to nurse less at night and there wasn't too much crying involved. He had previously been nursing every hour and went down to just 1 or 2 times a night for a month and then stopped completely at night unless he was sick or teething.
    I read her sleep book and i think it is a version of cio-gentler yes but still cio. My son is an avid cryer. He was colic for 6mos and now can go into that crazy cry when he is denied bf (at any time but more so at night). When I tried her method a while ago, he cried for 2 hrs straight.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*fairetails View Post
    I read her sleep book and i think it is a version of cio-gentler yes but still cio. My son is an avid cryer. He was colic for 6mos and now can go into that crazy cry when he is denied bf (at any time but more so at night). When I tried her method a while ago, he cried for 2 hrs straight.
    I don't think the pantley is CIO because she says if they cry - stop, but the same thing happened to us too. Once DS starts crying its hard to get him to stop. The first 3 or 4 times we tried to alter his sleep routines it just wasn't happening. 15 seconds was my maximum before returning to nursing. When he would finally accept other comfort from me or DH I figured it was because he was developmentally ready.
    Last edited by @llli*FluffyN; July 28th, 2008 at 09:54 AM.
    Katie
    Just one more fanatical cloth diaper convert...
    Mom to Morgan (01/10/04) and Zachary (07/12/06)
    What are M & Z up to now?

My son is 19mos and still nurses all night and day. is the night nursing ever gonna stop on its own or am i gonna have to one day let him cry. i really not a proponent of cio- obviously if i'm still kickin with the night nursing. just curious how it works for those who have a child with similar nursing behavior
    In my experience I'd say children do night wean on their own, gradually and in their own time. My dd woke every 2 hrs or so for her first 20 months, then gradually began to go for a bit longer, 3 hours, at the beginning of the night, then it was four hours. Then I became pregnant when she was 22 months old, and that may have hastened things a bit, but she was already on her way. Now at 26 months she sleeps for 5-7 hours straight, but still nurses to go back to sleep when she does wake. I too wondered at times if she'd ever do it on her own, but knew that there was nothing I could do about it because she seemed to need it so much at night and would take no substitute. I'm glad I waited.

Everyone's situation is unique and personal to them. And everyone has to do what works for them and their family. I personally do not believe that night nursing will ever stop on its own. I also believe that hungry babies need food and tired babies need sleep-and not food (obviously after a certain age). The comforting aspect of breastfeeding does become an association over time. I personally could not do it any more past 6 months. I was exhausted. Co-sleeping wasn't an option either. After trying Pantley's approach for 1 long month, things got even worse. I ended up reading and blending Ferber method, SleepEasy Solution and BabyWise. The first and latter do get a bad rap from other mommies, which I believe is unfounded. But you have to do what is in the best interest of your child, makes sense and works for you. Don't feel guilty for needing to take care of yourself to be the best momma for your little one during the rest of the day. Good luck and I hope sweet dreams.
    Jenny B.
    Mom to Maximilian Kelly
    for over one year and ing it!

My son is 19mos and still nurses all night and day. is the night nursing ever gonna stop on its own or am i gonna have to one day let him cry. i really not a proponent of cio- obviously if i'm still kickin with the night nursing. just curious how it works for those who have a child with similar nursing behavior
    Yes they do stop on their own. Believe me, I tried night weaning at 14 mos. or so with my oldest son, and it totally didn't cure his night waking. He was 4 b4 he stopped nightwaking

With my youngest, I haven't nightweaned on purpose, bcause honestly, nursing a lo at night is MUCH easier than dealing with a toddler with night terrors who wakes up all freaked out at night for years. My youngest is now about 28 mos old, and a few months back, he started sleeping longer and longer stretches. Last night, he actually made it to like 5:30am without needing to nurse! And then he went back to sleep for another hour and a half!

I think we all realize that it does end, because we don't see high schoolers out there nursing to sleep, but it feels like its not going to in the midst of it. It'll get better though!