Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: does all night nursing ever stop on its own?

Default does all night nursing ever stop on its own?

My son is 19mos and still nurses all night and day. is the night nursing ever gonna stop on its own or am i gonna have to one day let him cry. i really not a proponent of cio- obviously if i'm still kickin with the night nursing. just curious how it works for those who have a child with similar nursing behavior

Default Re: does all night nursing ever stop on its own?

Have you read the No-Cry Sleep Solution by Elizabeth Pantley (I think she has a toddler-centered one now too) or Jay Gordon's sleep method (http://www.drjaygordon.com/development/ap/sleep.asp)? There are gentler methods for reducing or eliminating night nursing than just CIO. I couldn't let my son cry it out either.
    If you try a method and the LO just isn't having it then they just might not be ready - or fighting and illness, teething, having milestone anxiety ect. Keep trying every 4-6 weeks and you'll probably see some progress before long.
    My son was 18 month when he finally was able to nurse less at night and there wasn't too much crying involved. He had previously been nursing every hour and went down to just 1 or 2 times a night for a month and then stopped completely at night unless he was sick or teething.
    Katie
    Just one more fanatical cloth diaper convert...
    Mom to Morgan (01/10/04) and Zachary (07/12/06)
    What are M & Z up to now?

My daughter is 19 months and 2 weeks ago I night-weaned her. She was nursing often during the night, but not for long, so I decided she might be ready to stop during the night. I started out by not nursing her from 12am to 6am, but I nursed her right before 12am. When she woke up after 12am, my husband brought her into our bed, as usual, but I had a shirt on and told her my milk was sleeping and she could nurse when the sun came up. (She pretty much understands the concept of sleeping and it's light out when the sun is out). She cried for 15 minutes while I comforted her any way I could but nursing - I offered her water, rocked her (in my bed), rubbed her back, gave her her nuk and the soft baby she sleeps with. She was clawing at my shirt, so I got up and put a high-necked shirt on, and when I got back in bed she laid down and went to sleep. She woke up about 4 hours later and we did the same thing while she cried for 7 minutes and then went back to sleep. Since then, she's only cried for less than a minute once a night, but there were a few nights she didn't cry at all. She doesn't like that I tell her she can have milk when the sun comes up, but she doesn't like many other things I tell her too. We had to have a compromise as I was exhausted. For the last few nights I moved the time back to 10:30pm to 6am. She's doing really well.

I liked this method because I was still available to comfort her, even though it wasn't in the exact way she wanted. I can't leave her in her room crying by herself, I don't see any good in that.

Maybe this helps you a little - I think it would eventually stop on it's own, I just didn't want to keep it up for the next few years to see if it would - and I think she would have lasted that long.
    Mommy to:

Emmalynn Marie
    Born at 37 weeks on 12/22/06
    5lbs 1oz 19 1/2in

Owen Charles
    Born at 29 wks 6 days on 01/17/09
    2lbs 14oz 15in
    In NICU for 2 months

I did it a few weeks ago. Mine was 25 months when I got the courage to try to nightwean. Prior to that I was nursing him 3-5 times a night every night. I thought that trying to alter this would not work for my lo. But right now I'm off work for a bit and thought this was as good of a time as any to try it incase he cried or it was difficult, etc. So a few weeks ago I tried Dr. Jay Gordon's method (http://www.drjaygordon.com/development/ap/sleep.asp)... and I was and am so very pleasantly surprised that there was NO CRYING whatsoever. Really I was shocked, from what I read I was expecting the worst. But all that happened was he whined a little about it but it was not a "cry" like I was expecting. If he wakes up now, I just remind him it's still night time and we can cuddle but we'll nurse again in the morning when he can see light out the windows. It has worked well for us. So now I am thinking... should I have tried it earlier?! (Not really, I think we were both ready at this time but it makes me happy to know there were no tears... so I know for sure it was a habit not a need). All the best to you as you figure out what will work best for your family.

It really depends on the child. My first one stopped night-nursing on his own by 8 or 9 mos (and slept 14 hrs, man did I think I was an awesome mom! :P ), my second child stopped just after the age of one, and with my third there was just NO WAY he was giving it up willingly. I night weaned him of the first of 1-3 nightly feeds using the dr gordon method at about 15 mos and not long after that he dropped the others on his own (well, he still gets up at 5:30am and i nurse him back to sleep, but he goes to bed at 7pm so i still call that 'sleeping through the night'). The dr gordon method worked well for us, as i don't believe in CIO either.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lee-momof3 View Post
    and slept 14 hrs, man did I think I was an awesome mom! :P

My DS1 weaned at 19 months but did not sleep through the night until he was about 24 to 25 months. DS2 is 27 months and still nurses. He stopped nursing at night on his own around the same age.
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

We night weaned at around 16 months. We do not co-sleep, and we did not let him CIO. We used a sleep book that was similar to Jay Gordon's method, and Ferber (who IMO mistakenly has a bad rep, he never advocates CIO).He did cry for a few minutes at a time, and we would go in and comfort him. DH would rock him, get him water, pat his back..etc. We would say "mama go night nights, dada go night nights, milkies go night nights, kitty go night nights, and Joshua go night nights". He did great with it, and after maybe two times, he was sleeping all night. Now I nurse him down at 7:30, and he doesn't nurse until somewhere between 5 and 5:30, and then again around 6:30 when he is up. Now we have had set-backs with sickness or travel, where we were back into the night nursing routine, but we are able to get back on track easily. He definately was not going to stop on his own, as milkies was his sleep association. Now I can put him down when he is awake, and he smiles, hugs his pooh bear, and goes right to sleep. I do not know how I managed 16 months of all night nursing! I think you have to pay attention to when your LO is ready...I do not think Joshua would have handled it before 16 months. At that point he could understand so much more.
    Last edited by @llli*kathrynk; July 25th, 2008 at 04:47 PM.

Kathryn,
    Mama to my sweet blueberry eyed boy Joshua
    born on 11/2/2006

and my blueberry eyed baby Jonah Henry...my water birth baby!
    born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK

Anyone just keep nursing until the child didn't want to anymore? My friend told me that her three and four year olds (respectively) started sleeping through the night without waking and calling her to nurse. I was thinking that I would just keep nursing until he told me he didn't want to.

Night nursing doesn't bother me. It is so much easier to roll over and put my nipple in his mouth and go back to sleep than to have to get up with a craying baby. I am able to just close my eyes and go back to sleep; which is weird for me because it used to be that if something woke me up, I wouldn't be able to go to sleep for hours. I thought that the prolactin boost from nursing actually helps me to sleep BETTER. Maybe I am just a nut. But I think that I am going to keep night nursing as long as he wants to. It is worth the experiment, at least.

Anyone else?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*momma2four View Post
    Anyone just keep nursing until the child didn't want to anymore? My friend told me that her three and four year olds (respectively) started sleeping through the night without waking and calling her to nurse. I was thinking that I would just keep nursing until he told me he didn't want to.

Night nursing doesn't bother me. It is so much easier to roll over and put my nipple in his mouth and go back to sleep than to have to get up with a craying baby. I am able to just close my eyes and go back to sleep; which is weird for me because it used to be that if something woke me up, I wouldn't be able to go to sleep for hours. I thought that the prolactin boost from nursing actually helps me to sleep BETTER. Maybe I am just a nut. But I think that I am going to keep night nursing as long as he wants to. It is worth the experiment, at least.

Anyone else?

YES, that is exactly the kind of thinking I had. I can hang if I know he'll stop on his own sometime in the next year- at least. I just wanted to be assured that he will stop and not when he's like 4 0r 5.