Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Repeating PIS Let Down Phase more than 1x / pumping session

Default Repeating PIS Let Down Phase more than 1x / pumping session

The medela PIS has a let down phase that lasts for 2 minutes of rapid sucking to simulate the baby then it slows to a more rythmic sucking. I have found that if I keep the pump in the let down phase for 6-8 minutes (achieved by turning the pump off and back on) I drain the breast faster and easier. Is this okay or am I somehow training my body to let down incorrectly? I find that 2 minutes isn't enough for a good let down and that once it switches to the slower cycle, milk hardly comes out at all.

Thanks!

Default Re: Repeating PIS Let Down Phase more than 1x / pumping session

i don't have an answer for you, but i think that's a good question.

i've only used the let-down phase button when my milk hasn't started flowing well, or if it slows down too much.
    i've noticed that my milk does flow a lot more when in that phase.

sorry i'm not any help, but i am eager to hear if anyone knows more about that.

Mommy to Nora Jean
    Born 6 lbs, 13 oz. on 06/13/08
    Loves her cloth diapers
    All the time

300 oz. donated so far!

Hello Norasmommy! I tried just staying the letdown phase for the entire pumping all day today and it seemed I got about the same amount but it cut my pumping time in half and the bonus was that it didn't hurt as much as the normal cycle. It was encouraging for me because I could see the flow much better staying in the letdown phase. It made me feel like my supply was getting better...I know it's not based on output but I felt good seeing the production...kwim?

I would love to hear more experiences with this ... I also get a LOT less pain with the letdown phase than the expression phase ... if the output is the same then why not? But then there must be a reason why the expression phase is there??
    FTM to Dante
    Birthday: June 15 2008 (Father's Day!)
    Birth Time: Crack of Noon
    Birth Weight: 8 lbs 4 oz

Just bumping back up for more information. Is there any harm in just staying in the let down phase for the entire pumping session? It's easier and less painful.

I find I the milk comes out much faster in the slower phase - it feels like the suction is stronger then. I letdown very quickly though and have OALD/OS. I think as you say it's to mimic how the baby sucks - fast at first to stimulate letdown and then slower once it starts to mimic the baby's swallowing sucks. I can't see why it would be a problem staying in the letdown phase if it works for you, although have you tried using the bigger horns. It might be hurting because the size is wrong.

I too have stayed on the letdown phase (turning it off and on again) since I started pumping (1 month). But now I'm wondering if this is contributing to my OS or OALD? I can't seem to get that under control.

Do you have OS/OALD?

I don't have an answer, but wanted to say that you don't have to turn the pump off and on again, you can just push the botton over the power cord and you'll get another 2 minutes
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Well if staying in the letdown phase = oversupply, then I'm all over it, since I can't pump enough for DS and have to supplement =/

But somehow I don't think it's going to be that easy >_<
    FTM to Dante
    Birthday: June 15 2008 (Father's Day!)
    Birth Time: Crack of Noon
    Birth Weight: 8 lbs 4 oz