Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Oversupply? Infection on it's way?

Default Oversupply? Infection on it's way?

Okay - i am here this a.m. with a new question!! and not sure where to post - so I'll try here first! I'll try to keep it short!

My DS is 8 weeks old. we have been dealing recently with a possible case of reflux - he's currently on meds for it and not sure about them as it seems they helped the first few days but seems now like he's going backwards. Just this morning he full-on vomited, well at least thats what I call it . Hasn't done that for over a week. - right after nursing he threw up and it came out quite forcefully of his mouth and nose ... anyhow I am not sure if it's at all related to my problem that since I have been dealing with these new issues with him I have realised I must have oversupply issues and since have been trying to remedy the situation in hopes to help the reflux as well, by block or cluster feedings I think they're called .. .a few nursing sessions on one side. well I also stopped pumping as well. {I had started pumping BID because they requested a test for LO and I was going to have to pump for a bottle for the test and though we haven't done the test yet I continued pumping... you know to have a supply "incase of an emergency" - heaven forbid!-}

Okay so I am thinking that pumping was causing more of a problem with the oversupply so I quit a few nights back . so here I am... dealing with new issues of engorgement in the A.M. since I have done this cluster feeding and I used to pump at around 11 p.m.... and the last probably 36 hours I have had a familiar feeling on my left breast - a kind of painfull tingly itchy feeling on the outside section and am afraid it's leading to an infection... . A while back I had shooting pains in the same area but they've since subsided and don't seem to be related since they we're occuring right around/before I starting pumping... ( stupid pumps! )
    (on a side note when I nursed my DD over 10 yrs ago _ I had a run in with Mastitis that remedied pretty fast, but then had the thrush, etc... so I am not sure which, if either this may become.... also I thought maybe it was from the pumps and will remedy soon... but any ideas on how to tackle an infection before the fact? Any suggestions for me gals will be much appreciated! I have read so many similar threads with other ladies and their struggles and am optimistic!
    Yikes - sorry for the long post
    TIA

Eme
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Default Re: Oversupply? Infection on it's way?

Hi there,
    I'm just checking in after being away on vacation.

How are things going for you now? It has been a couple of days since you posted.

Question Re: Oversupply? Infection on it's way?

Thanks Kate, for checking in in me
    Things have seemed to remedy themselves as I thought they may - I was just hoping to have received some feedback...

***Still not sure if theres a small thrush issue. Maybe I'll amend my question here and ask is there a chance that a slight case of thrush will stay slight, and not increase? Or will it always get increasingly worse??
    Thanks!

Eme
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Thrush can rear its ugly head in MANY ways. So, yes, it could stay just "slight".

A great article to check out is here:

http://www.lalecheleague.org/llleade...tNov98p91.html

Let me know if you have more questions.

Wow! Thanks for the article! It is a great resource to have...

so the question now is - if i indeed have a case of the nasty ol' thrush and it remains as is - is a call/trip to my doc or LO's ped. called for?

Eleanor Roosevelt

Emerson

If after looking at the info on thrush and you have determined that it probably isn't anything else, then you can/should call both your doc and ds's ped., as you should both be treated.

There are SO many treatment options available. Just post about thrush in the infant forum and many moms will tell you what worked for them.

HTH!