Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: OALD/OS and expressed milk

Default OALD/OS and expressed milk

in order to help my DS deal with my overabundance of milk, i have been hand expressing about an ounce just before he starts nursing. Would it be okay to combine and store this milk or would it be too much foremilk?

Default Re: OALD/OS and expressed milk

I'd definitely store it for use later! Even if it's too watery you can mix it with other breastmilk, mix it with foods later on when you start solids, or make momcicles (frozen breastmilk in a spoon or mesh feeder) with it!

How's it going with the OALD/OS?
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

thanks! i did notice that it seperated so it does have some fat in it.

i have been reading lots and trying to do what i can about the oversupply. the hardest time is at night. i have been blessed with a baby who sleeps for 4-5 hour stretches once or twice a night. i get engorged from going so long...especially since i only use one side at a feeding. expressing the milk is helping.

when will it be safe to start pumping? i am returning to work after labor day and want to have some milk stocked.

thanks for the advice and help. i'm so glad i found these forums

Since it sounds like you'd get a lot of milk from pumping (I'd try it out a couple times before going back to work) you might wait until it's really under control.

If your still dealing with the oversupply you can use that milk that you take off the top, also pumping a little here and there. You don't have to drain the breast, just keeping taking a little off here and there and it will probably add up quickly! Adding a session, or pumping after every session will only make the problem your having worse.

We are glad you found us!!
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

when will it be safe to start pumping? i am returning to work after labor day and want to have some milk stocked.
    congratulations on making enough milk to feed your little one for a long time! i started pumping right away when i was engorged. it helped soo much and started my supply right away for when i have to go back to work

i think you could pump on the side you aren't BF on just enough to make you feel more comfortable since it will be a while before your LO feeds on that side again. how old is your baby?
    Proud mommy to:
    Charlotte Ruth born 5/6/2008

"Do what you think is best; wait until you have weaned him. Only, may the Lord bring your resolve to fulfillment!" And so she remained at home and nursed her son until she had weaned him. 1 Samuel 1:23

"I prayed for this child, and the Lord granted my request. Now I, in turn, give him to the Lord; as long as he lives, he shall be dedicated to the Lord." 1 Samuel 1:27-28

15 months and counting!